General Discussion Race Reports! » KPC Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

KPC Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kendallville, Indiana
United States
Kendallville Kiwanis, the City of Kendallville and Cole Center YMCA.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 55s
Overall Rank = 6/218
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/24
Pre-race routine:

Ate an english muffin, banana, and homemade energy bar for breakfast. Arrived early, used the bathroom, registered and got body marked... the usual.
Event warmup:

Ran a little over a mile, biked 2-3 miles, and swam about 5 minutes. Stretched, then socialized a little while waiting for the start.
Swim
  • 11m 47s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

I wasn't happy with my swim time at all, but it felt good and felt like I pushed it a little harder than normal. After looking at all the times, I ranked fairly high, and I'm pretty sure the swim was longer than 500 meters. When comparing to the rest of the field, it would have been nicer to be 30 seconds or so faster, but I'm happy with my results. I did a decent job of sighting on the way out, but definitely sighted MUCH better on the way back by using the sun to sight.
What would you do differently?:

I still feel like I can push a little harder on the swim and need to keep trying to push harder.
Transition 1
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Decent job on T1, but still need to get the socks on a little faster. Slowed down just a bit on the run from the beach to try and wipe my feet off in the grass on the way to the transition area. The flying mount was decent, but I got my right foot directly into my shoe and got the tongue twisted. I couldn't get it straightened out, so just rode with it that way.

I need to come up with a quicker way to put my socks on.
Bike
  • 33m 9s
  • 12.75 miles
  • 23.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall, a good bike. My legs have not fully recovered from the previous weekend, so it took about 6-7 miles on the bike before they finally loosened up and felt good. Had to crank quite hard on the hills and in general just to keep the pace that I wanted. This is the first race that I broke 23 mph, so definitely a PR for a bike leg!

Can't think of anything to change.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

A good T2. While running with the bike, my shoes kept hitting the ground, so I had to slow down just a touch to make sure that my shoes didn't pop off the pedals. I wasn't quite focused on my transition and took a little longer than needed to get my shoes on and take off. I unbuckled my helmet while running to the rack, so that helped speed things up just a touch.

I need to focus just a little harder while transitioning.
Run
  • 19m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall a good run. I took off right away trying to push hard and be under 6:30 pace. The run was tough, but I tried to keep focused and keep pushing the entire time since I knew it was only 5K. Felt good except for one small section. Ended up under 20 minutes for the run, which was my goal, and is a PR for a run leg!

Can't think of much, other than the usual "push harder".
Post race
Warm down:

Cooled off with a cold, wet towel and got some fruit and a cookie. Took everything to the car and jogged back 1/2 mile to the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Legs weren't fresh and hadn't recovered from the hills of Brown County.

Event comments:

Overall a good race, with a few things that could change. First, the winding part through the windmill museum is a little annoying and the turns are too tight. Second, the "disposable" timing chips with the plastic bands are annoying. I developed a blister from the thing cutting in to my ankle and I saw a couple other people who were bleeding from them. Also, the race started a little late (as well as the awards), and I felt like the people trying to organize the start didn't know what was going on. Finally, the police boat that was patrolling was a little annoying because I could taste the fumes in the water after they went by. Despite my few complaints, it was an overall good race and was run fairly well. The volunteers did a good job of directing on the run course, and the police did a good job of directing traffic, but it would have been nice of them to give some indication of direction for the biking too.

Last updated: 2011-03-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:47 | 547 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/24
Overall: 24/218
Performance: Average
Suit: FCA Endurance Tri Suit
Course: Out and back, supposedly 500 meters.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:09 | 12.75 miles | 23.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/24
Overall: 7/218
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: A couple miles out and around the North side of the lake, then a clockwise loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:45 | 03.11 miles | 06m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/24
Overall: 7/218
Performance: Good
Course: Cross country style run, winding through the windmill museum and the woods around the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-17 9:13 AM

User image

Fort Wayne
Subject: KPC Sprint Triathlon

2011-07-18 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3600143

User image

Regular
Northbrook, IL
Subject: RE: KPC Sprint Triathlon
Excellent job in that race. Blazing bike and run. You'll save 15-25 seconds if you forget the socks and condition your feet to bike and run without them.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » KPC Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed