General Discussion Race Reports! » Evergreen Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Evergreen Lake International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hudson, Illinois
United States
Tri-Mom Events, LLC
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 36m 38s
Overall Rank = 164/390
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/22
Pre-race routine:

We went over the night before to pick up packets and camped. Got up, started coffee and the fuel cartridge lasted 2 minutes, not enough to have hot coffee so put some lukewarm water in my instant oatmeal. Changed into race gear, finished setting up transition, and chatted with friends.
Event warmup:

Swam a couple hundred yards. Goggles leaked, so I re-set them and had better luck.
Swim
  • 34m 40s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Horribly start to the race! Couldn't sight, couldn't navigate, goggles leaked. Not a lot of jostling which is good, but really frustrating for me. Had to stop in the first 200 yards to clear water out of my goggles. Had to clear them a second time before hitting the first bouy. Ended up pretty far to the right before coming right in at the bouy to start the second leg. During the second leg, I ended up behind the boats/lifeguards (the inside edge) and then way right (I'd guess I added 100-150 yards here). Spent a lot of time swimming all by myself and I'd have to really lift my head and pause to find the bouys. Rounded the second (again pretty close) and the third leg went better but I had to clear my goggles again. Rounded the last bouy and the final leg went reasonably well. Somewhere in here, a guy tried swimming over me. Really??? there are 3 swimmers in a 50-yard stretch, and after touching me 4 different times you can't find clear water?? A few hard kicks and I never felt him again.

While I'm complaining about this, my effort and my stroke were generally good, so it wasn't ALL bad.
What would you do differently?:

Need some OWS and different goggles. In some respects, the 2000+ mass start at IMCcA was good because I could keep people on either side of me for navigation.
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Nothing spectacular with transition. Dried off my feet, put my bike shoes on and then jog to the mount line. Got over the bike and had a hard time getting clipped in and moving.

Not sure this could have been sped up. Getting clipped in should have been easier.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 48s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.99 mile/hr
Comments:

Started riding and quickly settled into a comfortable effort at 21-23 mph. Couldn't really tell where the wind was (turns out, there wasn't any) and enjoyed the overcast conditions. Started passing people right away (thanks to the ugly swim I had). Had a few people pass me, most of whom I re-passed (some, several times). Had to call out "on your left" far more than I should have due to riders just riding along in the middle of the lane or going all the way to the left side of the lane to pass someone. Drank about 12 ounces of gatorade and a little less water during the bike.

I kept expecting to turn and start paying for the wind, but it never happened. Oh well, take what the day gives you, so I kept cruising at 22 mph. Hit 22 miles right at an hour along the West end of the lake.

NOTHING! This isn't my "A" race and I didn't want to hurt myself 2 weeks before my "A" race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Stopped at the dismount line and jogged with my bike into transition. Almost ran past my rack (didn't). Put the bike away, took off the helmet, and then the bike shoes. Put on socks and my running shoes and headed towards the exit while putting my running hat and race belt on.

Nothing much. Wasn't using Yankz or anything, and making sure my socks are in place before jamming my feet into running shoes takes a little bit of time.
Run
  • 50m 36s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Hit the first mile at 8:00 and thought "whoa!!" (Pretty cool to still run that fast after the 22 mph bike split.) Next few miles were 8:15 or so and the last 2 back down around 8:00.

Passed a lot of people (weird, since the run is where I'm usually slogging along while everyone else passes me). Had a few people pass me, but no leapfrogging like on the bike. The ones that passed were gone. Just kept up a fairly steady effort until 2 miles to go and ran the whole way. Skipped drinking the whole way (which was reasonable given the weather).

NOTHING. I'll take 8-minute miles for an OLY. This run split is faster than my stand-alone 10K (I've only run one). Again, good tune-up for Vineman in 2 weeks.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water and a gatorade and walked around a bit. Chatted with friends and cheered a few more finishers coming in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim was the big limiter today, but I was still 15 minutes faster than when I did this race in 2007.

Event comments:

Good race and a lot of fun. We didn't stick around long because we had to break camp and head to an after-race party.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:40 | 1640 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/22
Overall: 222/390
Performance: Bad
Suit: not allowed
Course: Large, counter-clockwise diamond.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:07:48 | 24.85 miles | 21.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/22
Overall: 124/390
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Lollipop course. First 3-4 miles were getting out of the park and around the West end of the lake, then a big rectangle on county roads. Probably 8-10 sharp turns (corners) and a few rolling hills. Really a "big ring" course and some wicked-fast bike splits given the conditions. (Top splits were 27+ mph, and the course was not short.)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:50:36 | 06.21 miles | 08m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/22
Overall: 166/390
Performance: Good
Course: An out-n-back with an extra little leg of out-n-back on the outbound. Gives you a chance to see people the whole time. Mostly flat route on county roads between farm fields, so no shade (luckily, it was overcast).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-07-17 1:41 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: Evergreen Lake International Triathlon

2011-07-18 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3600345

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Evergreen Lake International Triathlon
Whoa... you ROCKED that race!  Congrats on the awesome PR!!!  Now take it easy and safely taper down for that A race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Evergreen Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed