Steve Omi Foundation
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 48s
Overall Rank = 35/270
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 2/20
Pre-race routine:

Rode to the race since it's only 3 1/2 miles from home. Pretty mellow morning setting up transition and visiting with friends. I was excited and a little anxious, since this was my first race in almost 3 years after an injury. All healed up now and I was excited to see how I was physically and mentally in a race after that time.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swam about 5 minutes then waited for the gun.
Swim
  • 15m 28s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Since I was racing in the big guy's division, I was in the last start wave which turned into a pain. The first 150 yards were fine and then I started running into the people who started the wave in front of me. The next 2-3 hundred yards were spent zigzagging around and through people. Finally got some clear water just before the last turn buoy and the rest of the swim was fine. The water was nice and calm and relatively warm considering the lake temps around here this year. Time includes about 20 seconds of running up the beach to the timing mat.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster! Maybe sign up straight age group next year so I get to start with the first wave.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Wetsuit came of fairly quickly, helmet and glasses on, take off. Ran out of T-1, hopped on the bike, right shoe on quickly...then couldn't get my left shoe on! Lost probably 15-20 seconds wobbling around trying to get my shoe on. Dumb!

Get my foot in my shoe!
Bike
  • 31m 58s
  • 12 miles
  • 22.52 mile/hr
Comments:

After I finally got my shoe on I could start going. Felt really good and had lots of energy so just went with it. There was a pretty good headwind on the first half of the bike, which is also a very slight uphill. So I was looking forward to that slight downhill with a tailwind on the way back and it didn't disappoint! It was pretty easy to hold 27-30mph for a good share of the way. The highlight of the bike for me came when I was passing a guy who is 19. As I rode by I heard him yell "50...are you kidding me?" You know what they say about old age and treachery son! The last time I looked at my computer, about 1/3 mile out of T-2, it showed an average of almost 22.9mph. Slowed a bit to get my feet out of my shoes and then got caught behind a slower guy in a congested area where spectators and parked vehicles made it dicey to pass. So I just coasted in behind him for the last 100 yards or so and let my legs chill out a bit. Very happy with the effort on the bike.

Not much, maybe pass the last guy coming into T-2.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Flying dismount, run to towel, rack bike, pretty standard stuff. I slowed down here though, and put socks on. I've learned from past painful experience that I need to wear socks on the run so I've decided it's worth the extra T-2 time to put them on. That, and I spaced on getting speed laces so lost time there as well. The way this transition is set up it should be about a 30-35 second T-2. Next year.

Speed laces
Run
  • 25m 2s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Saw Lisa and when I came out of transition and got a high 5 which was a good mental boost! Saw my son a few seconds later which was great too. My HR was clipping along pretty good coming off the bike and the old bike to run dead legs feeling was not fun but I wasn't going to give in and slow down. About 3/4 mile in, I started to recover and felt much better. Got up the small hill, enjoyed the downhill, and took it the last 1/4 mile into the finish. Crossed the line and looked at my watch and was really surprised to see by how far I'd exceeded my expectations for this race. I really didn't know what to expect after not racing for nearly 3 years. Got a little emotional at being back and able to race again in a sport I love.

I always feel I could have run faster after a race. This one was no different.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt really good afterward so just hung out cheering others into the finish, ate a little, and visited with friends who were racing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm old!

Event comments:

Inaugural year for this race and the organizers did a great job. Can't wait to race it again next year.
I raced Clydesdale division and it was not divided into Open/Masters. So all the Clydes competed together. The guy who beat me is 11 years younger than I so I didn't feel too bad about that. Coincidentally, I would have finished second in straight 50-54 age group as well. Next week is a bigger race so we'll see how that goes.

Last updated: 2011-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:28 | 880 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/270
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro 2
Course: Clockwise rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:31:58 | 12 miles | 22.52 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Pretty flat with a few little rollers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:25:02 | 03.1 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, a slight uphill, flat, small hill climb, flat, downhill, flat. Good course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes