Streamline Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 36m 57s
Overall Rank = 48/256
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/26
Pre-race routine:

Ate a banana, had some cereal. Stopped hydration at 7:30.
Event warmup:

a few hundred yards of swimming in the lake.
Swim
  • 25m 17s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Tried to hang onto the two fastest swimmers in the wave, but that didn't last long, so I let the 3rd guy pass me, and stuck to him through most of the swim. Started passing people from earlier waves at the 1st bouy, and by the turnaround there were people really getting in my way. After drafting through 3/4 of the swim, I took off on my own and passed my leader. I think I finished 3rd in the swim in my wave.
What would you do differently?:

golly, nothing. That was a terrific swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m 1s
Comments:

Long run from swim exit to T1, so plenty of time to get the top of the wetsuit off. The bottoms took quite a bit longer. I didn't pull them down far enough before I attempted to get them off my heels and it was quite a little struggle. My wife took a whole series of photos of my on my back trying to get that wetsuit off. I'll need to look at the time stamp of the images to see how long it really took Arrgh. After that- things went OK.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 59s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.12 mile/hr
Comments:

HR was high, about 150-155 for the 1st 3mi- still recovering from the swim. Kept it mostly in the mid-140's after that, which seemed about right. 95% LTHR. Drank all my water- two full bottles. Ate quite a few shot blocks that I had taped to my bike.

Not sure. There were probably moments when I could have gone a little harder- but the fact that I didn't cramp up during the beginning of the run might indicate that I backed off enough.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

the finish came up on me a little before I was expecting, so I barely got my gloves off and garmin transferred to my wrist prior to T2. Took one foot out of the shoe, but the other got stuck, so I ended up running to my spot with one shoe on, one shoe off. didn't seem to slow me down much tho'. Socks didn't go on all that smoothly, but got the Mizuno's on quick, grabbed my hat and race belt and was off.

Now that I'm in a position to podium... perhaps I should work on speeding up my transitions.
Run
  • 48m 39s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't have cramps in my calves or achilles problems today - so that was a nice feature of the transition to running, but the legs did feel heavy. I just watched my HR and kept it in the low 150's at the beginning, and let it climb to the upper 150's towards the end, where I then took it to ~170 for the finish. It was a hot run. I dumped as much water on myself as I could, and drank as much as I could, but was still dehydrated. The heat certainly slowed me down a bit- but I truly enjoyed the race. Saved just enough for a good kick at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged wife, daughter and MJ (friend) who all came out to watch. Downed two bottles of some vile sports drink, and ate the granola bar that my daughter brought me. Then patted myself with an iced towel. Ahhh.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Faster? That WAS fast for me.

Event comments:

The lake was pristine. The roads were beautiful. With about 300 participants, great weather (although a bit hot) and beautiful scenery, this is a terrific race. We stayed right at the Lake Morey Resort- so it couldn't have been more convenient. A terrific and fun weekend. It was interesting to see the resort get transformed from the drunk, overweight golfers into a fitness throng. Pretty easy to tell who was with which sport. Eric Averill ran a nice friendly race. Nothing fancy, but everything was taken care of. On the plus side- it was well organized. Numbered and named spots in transition- with sufficient room. Corrales well marked for entering and exiting. Plenty of volunteers- oh, and iced towels at the finish line to help cool down. On the low side- No goodie bag. There was an after race barbeque and awards ceremony that I didn't attend.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:17 | 1640 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/26
Overall: 19/256
Performance: Good
According to the RD, the course was somewhat longer than 1500m. Not sure how much. Seemed possibly longer than 1mi.
Suit: Orca Sonar
Course: Out and back. Large bright yellow bouys for spotting The water was just terrific. On the edge of being too warm for wetsuits.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:01
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:17:59 | 24.85 miles | 19.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 95/256
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on Rt 5. Some short hills. A light headwind on the way out. Nice course. Mostly smooth roads and cyclists well spread out.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:48:39 | 06.21 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 49/256
Course: Pretty run around Lake Morey, with a nasty hill added at mile 3 to add the distance, and then another hill near the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes