General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Door County Triathlon Half Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Egg Harbor, Wisconsin
United States
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 50m 14s
Overall Rank = 153/266
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 29/48
Pre-race routine:

Ate 2 bagels, banana, nuun. stopped and bought some cold water for bike bottles as it was going to be so hot. Got set up in transition. Stretched used the porta-potties a few times.
Event warmup:

Swam a bit to get used to the water temp
Swim
  • 33m 41s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

There were some waves and my goggles were somewhat foggy so I didn't go very straight. I just put my head down and swam and realized I was way off course. There was more contact in this because of the waves. It was really pushing people around.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure my goggles didn't need de-fogging again. Given the chop, I think I did okay, but it was not my best performance
Transition 1
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers! I wear my hair in a braid and I had the braid up higher than I should have, so my helmet was sitting up higher than normal.

nothing
Bike
  • 3h 13m 1s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Saw a snake in a coil on the road and it was GROSS! Went back and forth with #953. We had a nice little chat everytime we would pass each other. Was also happily surprised to see my cheering section on the course. Thanks Rob and Deanna (and kids!)

I don't think anything. This was the best part of the day. Could barely tell it was so hot - with the exception of an occasional whiff of asphalt.
Transition 2
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

Was having some crapping issues in my feet. Deanna pointed out that I had goosebumps. This was not a good sign.

nothing
Run
  • 2h 57m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

oh boy. This was awful. Legs felt okay, but my stomach didn't. A few times I realized I wasn't sweating, so I took salt tabs and water/gatorade. I eventually just would take a sip of gatorade and guzzle water. Dumped a cup of ice in my sports bra everytime. Walked for awhile with a girl named Kelly. She was fading up on the bluff and I really wanted to try to run, so I went on.

Hmm. I'm not sure. I tried to eat, but the gu chomps weren't cutting it. I decided not to run with a bottle because it was hot, but maybe I would take it with next time and refill it as I was running out of transition. Try some sort of strategy like run so long, walk so long.
Post race
Warm down:

I avoided the medical tent, but I had a few periods where I was tempted. I walked around a lot. I sat and felt dizzy, so I got in the dunk tanks - that felt so good, but it almost took my breath away, so I got out after a few minutes. Couldn't find my family anymore, so I went to transition and got my stuff. Walked back and sat on a bench. They found me, told me Anna was in medical so I went to get a water and visit Anna. Medical tent is not a pretty sight.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat/Humidity

Event comments:

They did a phenomenal job on the course. The dunk tanks on the course helped me cool down a lot. There were plenty of people you could have flagged down if you were in trouble between aid stations. I wish it would start at 7 instead of 8 - that might have helped a little. Also, the band only played until 3, so I missed it this year. I also barely saw it last year because of the late start. No announcing names today - was kind of a bummer after suffering thru it, but I guess I understand too..

Last updated: 2011-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:41 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/48
Overall: 20/266
Performance: Below average
Suit: full-sleeve wetsuit
Course: Kind of a rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:51
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:13:01 | 56 miles | 17.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 36/48
Overall: 164/266
Performance: Good
Average HR - 151 bpm Max HR - 166 bpm
Wind: Some
Course: Down through Sturgeon Bay and out to the east and then back to SB up to transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:57:19 | 13.1 miles | 13m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 39/48
Overall: 195/266
Performance: Bad
Average HR - 132 bpm Max HR - 156 bpm
Course: Run up to Egg Harbor - 1 small hill, 1 average hill, 1 monster hill. Some shade.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-18 2:58 PM

User image

Regular
Stoughton, WI
Subject: Door County Triathlon Half Ironman

2011-07-18 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3602350

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: RE: Door County Triathlon Half Ironman
Way to finish!  It was truely a sufferfest out there!  There were lots of people that didn't finish because of the heat, way to stick it out!
2011-07-19 6:06 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Congrats on dealing with some tough weather conditions!  It looks like we both used the ice in the sports bra trick.
2011-07-19 9:11 AM
in reply to: #3603284

User image

Regular
Stoughton, WI

SSMinnow - 2011-07-19 6:06 AM Congrats on dealing with some tough weather conditions!  It looks like we both used the ice in the sports bra trick.

At one point with the ice "knocking" around down there, a guy passing me kinda glanced my way.  I wanted to tell him "No worries - it's just my knockers"!

2011-07-19 2:03 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
I like the swim!  Nice job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon Half Ironman Rss Feed