HFP Racing
90?F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 15m 45s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = W 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Work was nutso busy during the first few weeks in July, and I was only sleeping 3-4 hours a night. I felt really depleted and dreaded this race. I really wanted to bag it but my husband gave me a little verbal tough-love and he really pushed me to do it. I think I resented him at the time, but he was right, I needed to complete this race.

I worked on Saturday before the race: 7am-7:30pm. After work, I drove home, loaded the truck, and headed to Racine. Since I worked on Sat, I had to arrange a Sunday morning bike drop-off in transition. The Ironman support people were really nice about making the exception, although they said I needed to have the bike in transition right away at 5am on Sunday. On Saturday night, I noticed my rear tire had lost some air, so I pumped it up and hoped. I arrived in Racine around 10:30pm; got a hotel because I didn't want to drive 90 minutes in the morning before having the bike at transition at 5am. I went to bed around 11:30, but woke up at 3:30 worrying about my back tire. I got out of bed and walked out to the parking lot to check the bike. Of course, the tired was completely flat. I only had one extra tube so I waited to deal with when I got to transition. I went back up to the room and showered, which always helps me wake up a little before a race. When I checked out of the hotel around 4:45, I laughed/cried (didn't really cry but should have :) a little at the fact that I spent $179 to stay in a hotel for just over 6 hours.

Drove to transition and talked with the bike people. They were really nice and they changed the tube (it had a splinter in it) while I set up my stuff. A huge thank you goes out to them because I was feeling pretty frazzled.

I ate breakfast between 5:30-6am: PB Jelly sandwich, 1/2 banana, 1 clementine, and my coffee yogurt. It seemed like a lot of food. I drank some gatorade during the walk to the swim start.
Event warmup:

My wave didn't start until 8:16am so there was a lot of waiting. I just did a bit of swimming and I felt pretty calm & relaxed in the water. I think I've come a long ways after my first time OWS panic.
Swim
  • 48m 37s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

Just realized I wrote my comments in the wrong place and my computer won't allow me to copy/past.

This swim was about what I expected. I need to work on my OWS, but I was happy with the fact that I felt very relaxed and I didn't need to rest. I still feel like my body position in the wet suit is a little off, like my hips/butt are higher than my chest/shoulders. That put some stress on my upper body and shoulders during the swim. I think I need a custom wetsuit that is thicker on top and thinner at the bottom, because I have more than enough ass fat to keep the back end floating ;) ;)
What would you do differently?:

More OWS!!!!!
Transition 1
  • 07m 25s
Comments:

This also is about what I expected. I didn't have any kind of agenda and just wanted to get through today, so I took my time.

Applied sunscreen.
Bike
  • 3h 26m 48s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.25 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought the bike course was fine. It was nicely flat, more so than I expected. I focused a lot on nutrition and hydration, and I think those were spot on. I think I had a fair amount of juice but I wanted to have energy for the run, so I just road slowly. I started to get really hot around 10:30-11ish, so I increased my electrolyte intake. That turned out to be a smart move.

Push it harder on the bike. Need to learn how to get food/hydration at the aid stations without stopping. I felt a little shaky when grabbing stuff.
Transition 2
  • 06m 42s
Comments:

Again, took my time. Used the porta potty before starting the run. Walked in a guy - he didn't have the door locked :(

Reapplied sunscreen
Run
  • 2h 46m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a little disappointing. My legs felt really good, not jello-like at all. However, I just felt hot and a little nauseated, so I ended up walk-running the entire thing. I set small goals, like "start running at that mailbox, until you hit that street sign". I think it helped but I wish I had forced myself to run more.

The aid stations were well-stocked; only one was out of ice. Thanks to all the Racine resident who put out sprayer hoses for the runners. It was so much appreciated!

I really need to sit down and evaluate if my walking was truly due to fatigue/heat, or if I simply mentally gave up.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water at the finish line, walked straight to transition and picked up my stuff to load up in the truck. I drove home and showered there, since I didn't want to use any communal facilities.

My shoulders and upper back were sore, but that's about it. Once I felt better hydrated at home, I took a naproxen. Today (Monday), I am not really sore at all and my legs feel fine - probably because I was a little bit of a slacker yesterday!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat

Lack of sleep and brutal work hours during the weeks leading up to the race, and they before the race

My own little self-doubting brain ;) !

Event comments:

I thought the race was very well organized and the add stations were well-stocked. I did visit the "athlete lounge" afterward and thought the offerings a were a little sparse. Might have been due to the fact that I was in the bottom 25% of finishers, so maybe all the good stuff was gone.

Last updated: 2011-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:37 | 2112 yards | 02m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
The swim start was actually fine for me - I really didn't get clobbered at all. I stayed back and to the outside since I know I'm very slow. I never had a panic moment and I felt really relaxed. I did have some issues with vertigo/dizziness. I've been having some general problems with that over the past two weeks. I wore a scopolamine patch left over from a previous kayaking vacation, and I think it helped. However, I still breast-stroked a fair amount, which made feel much less dizzy. It was a bit congested at the final turn buoy heading toward shore, since everyone was cutting in. I just tried stay out of other's ways.
Suit: Nineteen, full sleeve
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:25
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:26:48 | 56 miles | 16.25 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 06:42
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:46:13 | 13.1 miles | 12m 41s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %- 3lb
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-18 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Racine

2011-07-18 6:09 PM
in reply to: #3602389

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine
Congratulations!  It sounds like you had a smart strategy and stuck to it!  I think a lot of us did the "run to the street sign" thing yesterday!
2011-07-18 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3602685

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

I was running to a count to 20 strategy.  Street sign makes more sense, but was operating on brain stem only yesterday, haha.

I was just reading how some women are actually slower in the wet suit (probably due to extra a$$fat) and can increase their speed by raising their head position a bit!!!  I'll see if I can find the link...I've been feeling the same way this year! 

I worry about mental toughness on the run too, but look at it this way...at least you weren't so mentally tough that you DNF'd because you refused to pace correctly for the heat and distance.

Good job out there!

2011-07-19 11:19 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Nice job Carrie! Dealing with the flat tire on race day morning is no way to start a long day. Good job, you finished strong and did not give up!
2011-07-19 2:02 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
WOOT!!  Ya got 'er done!
2011-07-20 4:15 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI
Nice job with the race! I agree most were doing the run to... then you can walk. I know that is how I got through!

2011-07-21 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Great job Carrie.  I think you made a smart move staying at the hotel for $179.  The stress of the flat tire at home would have had you driving to Racine on much less sleep if you stayed home  Just remember, you were using this race as a training day for IM.  You are way ahead of alot of us in climate conditions if we have another scorcher in September.  Keep up the good work and get some sleep
2011-07-22 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Nice race, Carrie!! we were in the same swim wave! maybe I even talked to you? who knows...
great perfomance, especially given all the challenges you had to overcome getting to the start line!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Racine Rss Feed