General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #2 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key Biscayne, Florida
United States
MultiRace
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 8s
Overall Rank = 155/522
Age Group = F 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/17
Pre-race routine:

Photobucket Trilogy#2

The "Trilogy#2" was the 2nd Round of the famous Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Series...one of the most tough, competitive and challenging Sprints here in South Florida...organized by the people of

Photobucket

Event that took place at the Miami Marine Stadium last Sunday, July 17th...holding for 2nd year an International Distance Triathlon....beside...the Sprint Trathlon and Duathlon...all at the same time...with 180 triathletes racing the International Distance...522 triathletes for the Sprint and 93 Duathletes...for a total of 795 participants...

Friday July 15th:

We went to Miami to pick-up our Race Packages at Mack Cycle...Buddy got Bid# 203 / silver cap...and...for me...Bid# 204 / purple cap...yeah...NO funky pinky cap..!!! LOL

Trilogy#2 - July 17th 2011

And beside our Bid#s and swimming cpas...We got our usual goodie bags and a nice high-tech t-shirt...

From there...We went directly to get a full carbo lunch/dinner to our favorite Italian Restaurant "Di Napoli"...Buddy got his usual Seafood Special (clams, shrimps, mussels & squid in marinara sauce over pasta)...and...for me Pesce Livornese (fillet of fresh fish with calamari olives, capers, fresh tomatoes, garlic and white wine sauce with linguinis with olive garlic as a side dish) beside our Italian Salads and unsweet ice tea...very Yummmmmmmmmmmmy....!!!
Also We ordered a Tutto 9 toppings Pizza to take to home for lunch next day and after Race Day....Hummmmmmmmm....!!!

Saturday July 16th:

Mandatory Day Off...Woke-up late...around 8:00 am...and... Took a full breaksfast...Nice...!!!

Washed/waxed/lubed/tuned my Bike...changed wheels for Race Wheels...put Bid#s on my bike, helmet and race belt...and...prepared/packed all my Race stuff...

Took luch at noon time...some slices of Pizza...and...took an 1 hour nap...ZZZzzz

Prepared all my beverages for the Race...placed them into the fridge/refrigerator...

Loaded bikes and Transition Bags into the car and got early full protein dinner: grilled steak and steams veggies...Yummmmy!!!

Went to bed at 9:00 pm....ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sunday July 17th:

Woke-up at 4:15 am...Got dressed...Took Mariah our dog outside...Took my usual Pre-Race Beakfast: OJ and my Super Soy Protein Shake (chocolate) and my package of multi-vitamins and minerals, Amino 1500, Glucosamine, and CO-Q 10...

Did our own body-marked...to save time...

Took our coolers with beverages and Ice and left from home around 4:50am...It took us about 45 minutes to get at Key Biscayne...stopping first at the Restrooms in Tri-Beach for a techinical stop to avoid the long lines at the port-potty at Race...LOL

This time we were very lucky...cuz...we were almost the last one allowed to park the car inside the Miami Marine Stadium Parking Lot...next to Transition Area....Just in time and Very Nice...!!!! LOL

Took our bikes, bags and coolers and headed to pick-up our timming chips...and..went to Transition Area...

Here our Rack Area:

Photobucket

Racked bike in my rack area...the last spot in our rack and did set-up my Race stuff like usual:

Helmet over seat...a green towel at the side of my bike...this is one of the reason that I like to rack my bike in the last spot of the rack..more space and nobody next to my Stuff...biking/running shoes over the green towel, sunglasses over biking shoes, race belt with Bid# and a package with Endurolytes inside my hat all wrapped next to the running shoes and a bottle with frozen water...

Photobucket Photobucket

And here a view of my Buddy's bike and mine...nobody in between us by that time...

Photobucket

Filled the Speedfil with ice and water...checked gears...and set-up cyclocomputer ready for Race...and...went to Check Exit/Entrance in Trasnsition...and...back to my rack arae...relaxed over my cooler...closed eyes...and...did a final visualization of the Race...took 1 Accel Gel and 2 Endurolytes with water/Accelerade (Fruit Punch)...

Took my goggles, swim cap, wax ear-plugs and headed to the Swim Area...

Event warmup:

It was a very hot sunny morning...even...we had rains overnite...and...temps were in almost 90oF's...Yikes...I knew that it would be a very hot Race...Yikes...!!!

At the Swimming Area...after some arms and legs stretchings...jumped into the water...and...OMG...the water was like a chicken soup...the water temp. was around 85oF or more...too warm...swam maybe 200 mts and came back to shore...and...I felt like I was the noodle in the soup...LOL...
Out of the water went to meet with my Buddy and a few of our tri-friends...waiting for Race...

There were in total 11 Waves....the 3 first ones for the Internaional Distance every 3 minutes...then the Duathlon in Mass...and...finally...at 7:20 am...the Sprint dstance started....with the Pro/Elites, PC, Male 35-39, Male 19 & under...Buddy was in the Wave#8 Male 45+ at 7:32 am and me as usual almost the last one Wave#10 at 7:40 Female 40+, All Relays, Athena and Female Fat Tire...Yikes....all together...Are you kidding me??? LOL
Swim
  • 08m 35s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 09s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim Coure:

Photobucket

As soon they allowed us to pass the Swim Start Arch...I lined in front of the pack...and...just when they gave us green light to start...I ran and jumped into the water very fast...but...OMG...as suual...a full contact combat to get at the first bouy...I got a few smacks over my legs and back...Yikes...but...as soon We rounded the bouy...everybody spreaded out fast...and...I had a great smooth swimming without incidents and drafting behind a few good swimmers...till the Swim Exit...

Just when my hands touched the sand at shore...I got up and ran out as fast as possible to the Swim Exit Arch...and...at the same time removing goggles, swimming cap, wax ear plugs...

Photobucket

What would you do differently?:

Continue with my trainings...I know I can do it better if I keep it up...
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

A fast Transition as usual...the fastest in my AG / 17 women and 65th Overall / 522 participants...Also the 11th fastest Female Overall / 154 women...not bad...!!!

Just when I got out out the water...I ran very fast as usual to Transition...passing a lot of women...got at my rack...put helmet, sunglases and biking all at the same time...took bike...and ran fast out of Transition...to the Mount Area...

Practice and practice...
Bike
  • 30m 19s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike Course:

Photobucket

As soon I got at the Mount Area...jumped over my bike and cranked very hard...reaching and passing more women of my Wave...

By the time I got on my bike and took off I was leading my AG...I knew that I was doing great...

First...we headed to have our first encounter with the beast...the famous "Rickenbacker Bridge"

bridge7

And here our first climb...

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

But as soon I got at the top of the bridge dealing with a lot of bike traffic...I got the best view you can't imagine....it's like your reward for to get at the top...I love this bridge...very nice...!!!! LOL

And it's here when You have a very thrilling / exciting moment...going down bridge...at more than 35 mph.....Yahooooooooooooooooooooo....!!!! LOL

But as soon you get down the bridge...maybe 200 mts...an U-turn...and..back again to climb the "Rickenbacker Bridge"...Uffffff!!! till you get at the top...and..the excitment comes again....down bridge...Yahooooooooooooooooooo...!!! LOL

Here another view on top of the bridge to the other side of the bridge...

Photobucket

And here a sequence of pics of Velo in action...climbing...passing more people...coming to the top of the bridge for second time...

Photobucket Photobucket

And finally at the top...Uffff...!!!!

Photobucket

And from here we headed to the Key Biscayne Villages but doing a U-turn at Crandon Park...and...back to the Miami Marine Stadium...

But just 1 mile before that u-turn...a smocking fast woman passed me...and...I knew that she was in my AG...that means...I was not longer leading...Damn...!!! and I cranked more hard...passing more people..but not luck on reaching that woman...she was too fsat...BTW...She was the 6th fastest Female Overall in the Bike...her Bike time was 26m58s...Yikes...!!!

Got at Desmount area...desmounting as usual...keeping shoes on...and...jumped from bike and ran very fast to Transition Area...

Continue with trainings...I know I have improved a lot and I can improve more and more...

Very Happy with my Bike time...PR for 3 seconds...!!!
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Another fast Transition as usual...the fastest on my AG / 17 women and 105th Overall / 522 triathletes...Also 22nd Female Overall...Yeahhhh...!!!

As soon I desmounted ran to my rack area...racked bike...changed shoes...removed helmet...took my hat and bottle of water...and...ran out of Transition....

Practice and pratice...
Run
  • 25m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

Run Course:

Photobucket

As I mentioned before in the Trilogy#1...this Run Course is very nice...part paved and dirty trail...but...we usually have a slower time in this course...the dirty trail section is a little narrow...a lot of people traffic...and...it's really difficult to pass them cuz people coming in the other way...but...in general it's really nice...cuz...it's very shady...

Just when I got out of Transition...passing next to the water station...a volunteer not paying attention in what he was doing...hit me with a big broom on my back of my right leg (calf)...Ouchhhh...that really hurted...Grrrrrrrrrr...!!!

Even the circunstances...I continues with my run...and...running in a constante pace...not to slow and not too fast...put my hat...my belt with Bid#...took the 2 Endurolytes with enough water...tossed some over my head, neck and shoulders...nice..and put the bottle in my back pocket of my Tri-suit...

Here the photographer did catch me trying to put my Race belt with Bid#..with a hat in one hand and a bottle of water in the other hand and running at the same time and paying attention of every steps cuz this is the sandy sections with a few of big cracks...Yikies and ...LOL

PhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket

Just when I got at the paved section I started to increase my speed...by this point I knew that I was 2nd in my AG...but...the fastest runner of my AG was coming behind me...and...I pushed more and more...passing a lot of people....got at the 1st water station at the mile 1...took 2 cups of water...tossed one over my head and did drink the other one..cuz..I could feel the heat and humidity...even...the trail is very shady....

From this point...starts 1 mile of dirty trail...where you have to pay a lot of attention of your steps if you don't want to fall...it's 1/2 mile till the u-turn and other 1/2 mile go back to the water station...and...again the paved trail...where I started to push more and more...passing tons of people even it's a narrow trail...

On my way back to the water station after teh u-turn I saw the fastest runner of my AG coming to the u-turn..we crossed and we smiled each other and I said to me "S@#$t..better start sprinting now" and I increased more my speed...and...just after the water station...Damn...She reached / passed me...but...I kept behind her for maybe 1/4 mile..but..I couldn't keep it behind her for too long and She took off...I only saw her dust...LOL But that move made me keep a good pace till the Finish Line...

BTW...Her running time was 22m 37s...the 6th fastest Female Overall and 50th Overall....Yikes...!!!

Trilogy#2 - July 17th 2011 Photobucket

Continue with my trainings...my speed is coming back again...and...I know I can do it better...even...the challenging conditions of this Run Course...Also PR for 1m 03 sec...not bad...!!!
Post race
Warm down:

As soon I passed the Finish Line...a volunteer gave to me a bottle of water...other removed my timing chips from my ankles and other gave to me the Finisher Medal...

Went to congratulate the fastest runner of my AG and she congratulated me too...It was nice...!!!

Went to Transition Area..met with Buddy...and...we collected/packed all our Race stuff...and...took them to the car with the bikes...

At the car...I tossed some bottles of water over my head and body...wiped all my body with a small towel...and...changed my short...

Went to check Results...finding out that I got 3rd place in my AG...something that I knew...but...WooooHoooo...!!!

Age Group Female 45-49: 3rd / 17 women

Female Overall: 29th / 154 women

Overall: 155th / 522 triathletes

Total Time: 1hr 06m 08sec

PR for 1m 58s

Here in the mid time waiting for the Award Ceremony...having fun with some tri-peeps...

Here the view of the City of Miami from the Miami Marine Stadium...

And finally the Award Ceremony...

And the Award and Finisher Medals...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The narrow trail in the Running Course...makes a very challenging run and difficult to pass the people...

Event comments:

Excellent Event like usual...very well organized...a lot of volunteers...plain of water stations...and...tons of food after the Race...

Last updated: 2011-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:35 | 400 meters | 02m 09s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/17
Overall: 294/522
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:54
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:30:19 | 10 miles | 19.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/17
Overall: 187/522
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:26 | 03.1 miles | 08m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/17
Overall: 154/522
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-19 3:47 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #2
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #2 Rss Feed