General Discussion Triathlon Talk » VIBRAM Shoes and Plantar Fasciitis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-19 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: VIBRAM Shoes and Plantar Fasciitis

Any suggestions from any of you that have a pair.  Good, bad?  Of the types is there a better one?  I understand I must strenghten my feet as orthotics are not helping after 5 years...a little but not fully recovered.

So any input is appreciated.  H

2011-07-20 5:39 AM
in reply to: #3604921

User image

Master
Subject: RE: VIBRAM Shoes and Plantar Fasciitis

I do not run in my Vibrams.  It tooks me several months to build up to being able to walk in them all day without issue.  They are now my casual shoe of choice and I do think they help my plantar fasciitis more than traditional work or casual shoes. 

However, in my n+1, I think regular stretching, continued activity and the night brace are what keep the PF at bay.

2011-07-20 5:45 AM
in reply to: #3605375

User image

Champion
Chicago
Mrs. brown_dog_us - 2011-07-20 5:39 AM

I do not run in my Vibrams.  It tooks me several months to build up to being able to walk in them all day without issue.  They are now my casual shoe of choice and I do think they help my plantar fasciitis more than traditional work or casual shoes. 

However, in my n+1, I think regular stretching, continued activity and the night brace are what keep the PF at bay.

Agreed. I need to get the night brace.
2011-07-20 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Bucks County
If you get them make sure - BEFORE YOU RUN (sorry!) - try walking in them EVERYWHERE!!! Your feet will strengthen plenty if you put them on an wear them every stinking place you go (well except maybe to work, church or nice occasions out).

I wear them on walks with the kid, to the grocery store, long trips, around the house, taking the garbage out - you get the picture.

But the thing I like the most about them - putting them on after a long run. I also wear them in the car to work and change into my socks and shoes before I get out of the car. Same thing after 5PM and I just finished work. Get into the car - off with the shoes and socks and the VFF go on.

Do this for 6 weeks to 2 months and then attempt a .25 mile "jog" on the treadmill, track, trail, or grass. NO ASPHALT OR SIMILAR HARD SURFACE!

It's what I did and the shin splints that I have had for the last 5 seasons have disappeared and have never even been within SNIFFING distance of coming back. Look at my logs from the last couple of years. Every time I would begin to ramp up my volume/intensity I would have to cut back all of my running until last year when I bought the VFF. Now I had my 1st two consecutive months of 70+ miles and still no shin splints. This month has been lite because I wanted to be fresh for two of my favorite races so I have only gotten in 20 miles so far. But starting Monday marathon training starts and the volume will begin to increase again.

Write back and keep us all informed of your progress if you decide to go with the VFF - I'm always interested in hearing others' stories.

Good luck!

Edited by michael2_19030 2011-07-20 8:21 AM
2011-07-20 8:25 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I have a pair of NB trail Minimus which have a Vibram Sole (whatever that means). Anyways, I love them. Haven't tried the vibrams so can't really comment.

Regarding PF: I nightly routine of stretching helped me tons.

Regarding the advice on running on starting slow, I mean that makes sense. Starting on grass, I don't know, running on grass is not much different than running in shoes in the way that your foot does not have to work that hard. Actually, I find running in grass in barefeet much much easier than running in shoes on grass.

Some people claim that running barefoot is far better than in vibrams for strengthening your feet. Some people call those people zealots.
2011-07-20 8:29 AM

Veteran
Fort Worth, Texas

You are proof that most doctors are morons! 5yrs of orthotics and no "cure". People need to remember that doctors treat symptoms, not the underlying problem.

To your questions. Yes Vibrams will help to strengthen your feet and help fix the underlying problem that I believe causes PF, weak feet that never have to support themselves. I have Vibrams, no I don't run in them, but I do wear them most days. I have 4 family members that have had problems with PF, including my wife. After they stopped listening to the moron doctors they were able to fix the underlying issue. My wife fought it for 10 years. After she stopped listening to the doctor she felt better in a matter of days, and has not had a problem in over a year.

I am sorry about the doctor rant, but they just irritate me to no end.

Give Vibrams a try, walking around, and hopefully they will help.

2011-07-20 8:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lawrenceville, GA

Can't speak to the 5 fingers.... but as to the PF, most likely you need to stretch more than strengthen.  Most PF is caused by calf muscles being too tight.  My uneductated guess is that Vibrams would have very little corrective affect on PF.

For me, a good stretching routine and iceing my arch after every run regardless of any pain was the key.  I wore the night brace for about 3 weeks along with this routine of ice/stretching to get rid of the PF and have continued the stretching/ice since then to keep it at bay.

2011-07-20 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3605626

New user

Atlanta

I've recently started having issues with plantar fasciitis.  Two things that I was told that I've found help me:

1. After exercise, massage the bottom of your foot using a cold can of coke, beer, etc.  I just put the can on the floor and roll it back and forth under my foot.

2.  Buy a night splint from your local running store.  This thing works wonders for me, but it does take a little getting used to. 

2011-07-20 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
WTF, I had a long message here, but it didn't show up and I don't feel like retyping.

Edited by Donskiman 2011-07-20 9:41 AM
2011-07-20 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3605616

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
bdye101 - 2011-07-20 9:29 AM

You are proof that most doctors are morons! 5yrs of orthotics and no "cure". People need to remember that doctors treat symptoms, not the underlying problem.

To your questions. Yes Vibrams will help to strengthen your feet and help fix the underlying problem that I believe causes PF, weak feet that never have to support themselves. I have Vibrams, no I don't run in them, but I do wear them most days. I have 4 family members that have had problems with PF, including my wife. After they stopped listening to the moron doctors they were able to fix the underlying issue. My wife fought it for 10 years. After she stopped listening to the doctor she felt better in a matter of days, and has not had a problem in over a year.

This guy is right on the money. I have preached this since I had this exact series of events. I made the transition over a few months and have been totally pain free for 2 years now. Just try it. Think about how much $$ you already invested in something that hasn't worked. I have gone away from all of the big heavy thick sole sneaks I used to use. I find that the Saucony Kinvara's are the best combination of minimal support while still having some shock absorbtion.

2011-07-20 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3605626

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Davisjl - 2011-07-20 9:32 AM

Can't speak to the 5 fingers.... but as to the PF, most likely you need to stretch more than strengthen.  Most PF is caused by calf muscles being too tight.  My uneductated guess is that Vibrams would have very little corrective affect on PF.

For me, a good stretching routine and iceing my arch after every run regardless of any pain was the key.  I wore the night brace for about 3 weeks along with this routine of ice/stretching to get rid of the PF and have continued the stretching/ice since then to keep it at bay.

IMHO, Here is why I think minimalist shoes really help. Again this is just my idea... The standard sneaks we all have been wearing have big fat heels which put our feet in a semi pointed position when we run in them. The minimalist sneaks and VFF's don't just stretch out your feet they also allow your foot to land flat thereby stretching out the calf and Achillies thereby relieving the tightness that causes the PF. Again just my humble oppinion. Now that I have switched to much less supportive shoes including VFF's I feel like I have high heels on when I wear my old sneaks. It feels downright unnatural.

2011-07-20 10:31 AM

User image

Veteran
NC
Harold!!! Other than the PF, how are ya?

My experience - I have had PF for about 3 years now. Tried everything including ice, orthotics, stretching, nightsplint, cortisone, etc, etc. Nothing worked until I started wearing barefoot/minimalist shoes ALL the time. I have 5fingers, the new Merrell barefoot shoes, and Sanuks (the hipster canvas loafers). I've been doing this for about 3 months and it's still not completely gone but it is closer than ever before. The Merrell shoes are a collaboration between Merrell and Vibram and have an outsole like the FiveFingers Trek. Very happy now that this is finally going in the right direction.

Not that this approach will positively work for everyone but it may be worth a shot.

Jeff at IOS
2011-07-20 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3605616

User image

Extreme Veteran
bdye101 - 2011-07-20 6:29 AM

I tend to take issue with your assertion that most doctors are morons and that doctors treat symptoms and not the underlying issue. Any doctor I have ever been to has looked at my symptoms to diagnos what my problem is before setting out to fix it. Are there bad doctors out there? Sure but I do not think they make up most of the doctors in the world. Also remember that a person healthcare is part of their own responsability. if something is not working you need to be asking you doctor why, what is going on, and what changes can be made. Be active in your search and if the doctor does not give you a satisfactory answer (not necessarily the answer you want, but good or bad, one that you understand and makes sense to you) get a second opinion or change doctors. Nothing says a person has to stay with the same podiatrist for 5-10 years and most should know that you should not be wearing inserts/orthotics like that for that long - properly designed they are made to treat the underlying problem - in this case a muscle or tendon/ligament that is to short and so becomes aggravated with overuse.

To the OP - I would say that Vibrams could help but as with any change like this, take it slow. I would also, as others have suggested, look into stretching. I know that there are several good videos for this on yourtube (search stretching and Plantar Fascia and they should come up). Hope that this helps you out and gets you back on your feet though. If it does not I would recommend find a good Physical Therapist who works with Athletes as your next step.

2011-07-20 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Bucks County
Just wanted to add a piece to my own story. Any PF and shin splints that I had (for YEARS) seemingly disappeared in a matter of weeks with the VFF and very little stretching, icing and anti-inflammatory drugs.

My feet are stronger now because I no longer wear built-up shoes (shoes with a heel drop) that can partially atrophy the muscles, nerves and ligaments in our feet.
2011-07-20 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
USA triathlon mag has a foot strike debate article this month. A quote- "Coach and author Matt Fitzgerald did a far reaching inquiry into incidence of injuries after the minimalist barefoot craze began and found not surprisingly that there has a been a significant increase in Achilles tendon and plantar fascia injuries reported by physical therapists and similar professionals"
2011-07-21 2:58 AM

User image

Hi

I do not have experience with VFF because I decided to start it slower. I mean that VFF is a very minimal shoe and I decided to start with Nike free a mild minimal shoe. The VFF was too hard for me. I have had a strong case of plantar fasciitis and I am better today after more then a year. I feel as if the usual supportive running shoe won't really help to solve the problem but only help to relieve the pressure. I decided to try the minimal approach which after 4 months I can tell that it is good for me.

BUT I am going very slow. I started by walking on my Nike free and only after a month took my first run with them. Today I am running with plantar fasciitis and the minimal shoes with no problems every other day. I can feel that my feet get stronger and my PF gets better but not completely over yet.

To cut it short I say - go minimal slowly.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » VIBRAM Shoes and Plantar Fasciitis Rss Feed