Pat Griskus Triathlon Series
84F / 29C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 18m 27s
Overall Rank = 153/454
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 23/42
Pre-race routine:

Got there early. Went to register and get timing chip and bag at pavillion. Needed to walk through the entire park, so I was glad that I left the bike and equipment bag in the car while I registered. Went back to car, gathered everything and went to the racks. Open racks, so I got one near the bike in and out.
Was sunny during setup, but thunderstorms came in right before the start, so the start was delayed 30 mins. Everything got pretty wet.
Event warmup:

Actually ran for about 5 mins. Couldn't get into the water to warm up. With the rain, things were pretty hectic.
Swim
  • 16m 14s
  • 805 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt the best I've ever felt in a race on the swim. My sighting and navigation was weak. I feel like I navigated well on the way out, but then had difficulty when there were bouys on each side. I didn't swim a straight line on the way back - more of a zig-zag.
What would you do differently?:

Try to sight better on the way in, but overall I started well and stayed relaxed.
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Put on helmet and sunglasses, and then I almost left transition with my wetsuit on. Other than that it went pretty well. Getting on the bike was the best I've done. Running start - had problems getting into the right shoe, but left went on quickly and I was off....

Just need to do it more. Not enough of a routine yet. Practice.
Bike
  • 34m 2s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 18.51 mile/hr
Comments:

I was doing very well. I was surprised to see I averaged over 18.5 mph even after falling.

I was taking it easy and monitoring my heart rate. Pacing was really good.

Not fall. maybe understand the course better to know when the turns would be coming.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

After falling and having a damaged bike, I didn't even try to ride on top of shoes. Clipped out and walked into transition. Slid off shoes, slid on running shoes and went. Felt really good at that point

Nothing, considering that I needed to clip out.
Run
  • 24m 52s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt rally good. I could have run harder but I didn't want to get exhausetd because of the Ellington tri on Sunday.

Run harder. I was taking it easy.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. The finish line was a zoo. I found some first aid. Wiped down the scrapes with alcohol wipes and got a couple of bandages.

Ate some oranges, drank water, then went back to the racks and moved my stuff to the car. Went back and got a hamburger (bad) and drank alot of water. Decided to leave before the awards started because it was getting late and I had a long ride.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wet roads. I also was holding back because of the Ellington tri on Sunday. I didn't want to push too hard.

Event comments:

Probably the best paced race I've ever run. I wish I hadn't fallen, because I lost some time on the bike.

Also, I think this is the best I've ever felt running a race. I wasn't fatigued at all and felt like I has a lot of energy throughout.

I did take it easy because of the sprint Tri on Sunday, but I definitely learned alot about pacing. I really could have run alot harder.

Also screwed up the Garmin measurement. With the rain and the confusion at the start, I didn't set it up correctly for multisport. I also forgot to hit the button at the finish again.

Lesson: Stay relaxed on the swim, push on the bike, but not to exhaustion, and then spend what's left on the run. In previous races I started out too quickly on the swim, went out of control on the bike, and then had absolutely nothing left on the run. This race was much more comfortable, and my finish was not much lower than I've seen in the past

Nice race. Lots of people. Like the way they announced your name at the finish.

Last updated: 2011-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:14 | 805 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 20/42
Overall: 147/454
Performance: Average
Suit: xterra volt
Course: Interesting course. Went out in two waves on either side of bouys going straight out. Each side swam outside the bouys, and then turned to come in up the center between the bouys, so both waves merged.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:35
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:02 | 10.5 miles | 18.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/42
Overall: 122/454
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Course was relatively flat. I kept my heart rate down and took it easy. The roads were wet. Felt really good. Each turn had warnings so I could slow down, but the last turn snuck up on me. I couldn't stop. The rear tire went out from under me to the right, so I let up on the brakes to pull it back, but then it slid out from under me on the left and I went down. I scraped my right ankle (minor), knee(a little worse), and elbow (got the worst of it). I also got road rash on my right side under my arm. I think I slid on my heart rate monitor, and that saved my torso from open wounds. Overall, pretty nasty. I got back up and clipped in and went on. My bike was damaged, so I went very slowly the last .25 miles into transition.
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:52 | 03.1 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/42
Overall: 196/454
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back. Downhill on the way out and up hill on the way back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes