Dallas Athletes
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 40m 53s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 7/23
Pre-race routine:

Woke up really early (4:00 AM!), got in the car and drove out to the race site. I recall why I don't schedule a lot of races... I hate getting up early. Blah.

Go to the race site and setup my transition. Waited for the X50 and Olympics to start their swim. Got in line for my AG... we were second to the last wave to go.
Event warmup:

None. Had I warmed up, it would have just worn off by the time our wave took off. Just had to gut it out in the swim.
Swim
  • 08m 15s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started the swim in the front of the pack. It was crowded, but after I got past some of the slower swimmers it thinned out. My sighting was spot on. I felt like crap for most of the swim. Just kept swimming as fast as I could. It takes me a good 800 yards to warmup, so I was NOT warmed up. Ha!

Turned right at the first bouy, and then right at the second bouy. Then I got into the waves before us. Starting passing light blue and orange caps. I knew once I saw one of those caps that they were going to be SLOW. And they were. Breast stroking, back stroking, etc. Ugh. One guy I grabbed his leg on the side when I swam by. I saw him pop his head up. But I was coming through, and he was about to kick me. So yeah, I'm going to grab his leg. Obviously, I wasn't trying to take him down or anything.
Transition 1
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

OK, look... it was a SUPER LONG RUN from the water to T1. While my transitions are never great, they don't suck THAT bad.
Bike
  • 56m 2s
  • 17.6 miles
  • 18.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall a solid bike. My goal was to keep my HR around zone 2 and lower zone 3. I didn't want to blow it out on the bike and fade on the run. Had I been racing this, my plan would have been different. But I wasn't RACING this race. I didn't have but 6 weeks of training for it, and no taper. My coach didn't even realize I had a race until 2 days before the event. So it's not like my training plan was catering to it.

One guy kept playing leap frog with me. There's always one. And WHY is it USUALLY a guy? Hum. I finally said at one point, "I seem to be your motivation to go faster". To which he replied, "yes".

I passed him towards the end, and he didn't pass me again until the last couple of miles. I was lowering my HR to get ready for the run, so I let him take it.

Overall this bike was subpar performance for me. I have averaged 19-21 mph in sprint races. Go to below 19 and closer to 18... shows that my bike fitness is not back. With that said, I placed 6 out of 23 people in AG on this bike. Had I been in racing shape, I probably would have been higher in the standings.

Avg HR: 162
Max HR: 182
Zone 2- 6:14.
Z3- 38:01.
Z4- 12:15.
Z5- :48
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Eh, a little bit better. I'm really not good at transitions.
Run
  • 31m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Obviously, this is where I completely suck. Ha! I go from 1st on the swim... to 6th on the bike... to 15th on the run. Ouch.

I knew my run fitness was NOT there to blow this out, so my focus was to keep zone 2 until maybe the last .50. But until then... I wanted to stay in zone 2, and walk as needed to keep my HR down. So, honestly, I'm shocked I keep around a 10:20 mm. Way better than what I have been doing in training with this heat.

A few girls in my AG passed me on the run. Towards the end I tried to keep pace with a gal who I thought I might keep up with and pass at the end. Oh, what a joke that was. I tried, and my HR shot up to zone 4, so I just backed off. I wasn't going to keep THAT pace for very long, that's for sure. While my HR was in zone 2, I wasn't feeling great or peppy.

Towards the end I picked up the pace and pushed into zone 3. This kept off one of my TTT team members who was behind me. I kept thinking she was going to pass me, and her goal was to pass me after the 2nd aid station, but since I sped up, she stayed behind me.

Avg HR 162.
Max HR 189.
Z2- 27:25.
Z3- 6:24.
Z4- :32
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around waiting for Jonny to finish the Oly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. Didn't train for this race. It was a "D" race at best. Gosh, my coach didn't even have it on my training plan. Yeah. I told him about it, but he forgot.

Event comments:

Overall it was a good race. The goodies in the bag were nice (socks, a nice shirt, etc.). I liked that the bike course and run course were not completely flat. The bike course had some decent rollers on it even. There were plenty of aid stations and water, food, etc. at the end of the race. I also liked that they changed the run course from previous years, and we didn't have to run on the side of the highway on the black asphalt. That was a beat down in previous years. Overall a solid race.

Last updated: 2011-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:15 | 500 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/23
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:22
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:56:02 | 17.6 miles | 18.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/23
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:38 | 03.11 miles | 10m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/23
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-20 7:07 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: Disco Triathlon

2011-07-20 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3607152

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: Disco Triathlon

Congrats on your first race of the year!

I'd gladly trade some of my transition ability for some of your swim!

2011-07-21 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3607152

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Subject: RE: Disco Triathlon
Great job Karen! I knew you would do well!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disco Triathlon Rss Feed