General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I hit a runner while on my bike today Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-07-21 7:55 AM

User image

Pro
Subject: I hit a runner while on my bike today

I think that other thread on the dangers of road biking caught up with me. This happened around 6:30 this morning. I was on the multiuse path, which is usually pretty safe except for a couple of spots where it narrows. This happened on a pretty wide part (12 feet). Saw a runner so yelled "on your left" and he promptly turned left and walked into the center of the path. I was doing about 17mph when I hit the brakes, but he hit dead center on the bike. We both went down fairly hard but no real injuries. I took the worst of it, nice road rash on my leg and arm, and my hip is bruised. Took some paint off my rear derailleur which is a shame since the bike in only 2 weeks old.

I was about to really lay into him about watching what he was doing and being a dumb*** when I realized he was about my son's age (high school) and really scared. So I calmed down (not easy, I was wired!), made sure he was really OK, asked if he wanted to use my cell phone. Then I explained path safety to him. The path can get very busy and I was going relatively slowly as I was going uphill, but he could have been seriously injured by someone less careful bombing down the hill. Made sure he was OK again, then we both took off.

In the end I had a crappy ride. I was thinking about it the whole time, I was bleeding and sore, and it was hot and humid, and I didn't notice I had lost a water bottle. Did 28 miles total. But I'm glad I didn't go with my first reaction to curse and yell, and hopefully he keeps running safely.

2011-07-21 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3607695

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: I hit a runner while on my bike today
Glad you are both ok! And it was your fault entirely, so I'm glad you didn't yell at him.
2011-07-21 8:04 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Thats why the only time I ever ride my bike on a multiuse path is when I'm riding with my 12y/o daughter at a very slow pace.

Glad your both ok.

2011-07-21 8:04 AM

User image

Regular

Glad you guys didn't get injured, that's the important thing. I don't think that runners react to "on your left" like cyclists do, a big reason is a substantial amount of runners crank the tunes while running (I'm guilty of that).

Since I started cycling I'm a heck of a lot more conscience of my surroundings when running.

Edited by bsc77 2011-07-21 8:05 AM
2011-07-21 8:06 AM
in reply to: #3607698

User image

Lafayette, CO

bryancd - 2011-07-21 6:56 AM Glad you are both ok! And it was your fault entirely, so I'm glad you didn't yell at him.

Completely agree.  Certainly wouldn't want anyone hurt but you were the person coming up on him.  A 12 foot wide path, even if he were in the middle if you are going the proper speed for conditions you should have had plenty of room and time to get around him.  What I wouldn't give to have a 12 foot wide path in this area! 

2011-07-21 8:08 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
If you are riding at 17mph on a Multi-use path and there are people walking or running near you are being reckless. A bike is a vehicle and as such ALL pedestrians have the right of way. It is incumbant upon the cyclist to ensure they slow down and overtake pedestrians safely, even if it means coming to a stop. Yelling out "on your left" or "passing" and assuming their instructions are heard and clear and proceeding at speed is a complete failure of proper safety protocol.

2011-07-21 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3607716

User image

Lafayette, CO

bryancd - 2011-07-21 7:08 AM If you are riding at 17mph on a Multi-use path and there are people walking or running near you are being reckless. A bike is a vehicle and as such ALL pedestrians have the right of way. It is incumbant upon the cyclist to ensure they slow down and overtake pedestrians safely, even if it means coming to a stop. Yelling out "on your left" or "passing" and assuming their instructions are heard and clear and proceeding at speed is a complete failure of proper safety protocol.

Very well stated.  Much better than I did. 

2011-07-21 8:15 AM

User image

Sorry to hear about that, what a bummer for both of you.  One time, when I was strictly a runner (before I started triathlon) I had to go to Washington D.C. for work.  I went for a morning run over to the G.W. Parkway bike path, which is a pretty busy path used by cyclists and runners.  I had a bike come up behind me and I heard "on your left".  I didn't have much experience at the time on multi-use paths, and it startled me.  For some reason my reaction was to turn to my left - fortunately he didn't hit me, but it was close and I felt bad about it.  I never wear headphones when I run, but a lot of people do.  When biking on multi-use paths, we should always warn people when we're coming up on them, but unfortunately for safety's sake we have to assume that they don't hear us.
2011-07-21 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3607698

User image

bryancd - 2011-07-21 5:56 AM Glad you are both ok! And it was your fault entirely, so I'm glad you didn't yell at him.

x2

According to the bike safety tips on the TDF  yesterday pedestrians have the right of way on multi use paths. It is YOUR responsibility to avoid a collision as a cyclist.
2011-07-21 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3607721

User image

Pro
COSkiGirl - 2011-07-21 8:11 AM

bryancd - 2011-07-21 7:08 AM If you are riding at 17mph on a Multi-use path and there are people walking or running near you are being reckless. A bike is a vehicle and as such ALL pedestrians have the right of way. It is incumbant upon the cyclist to ensure they slow down and overtake pedestrians safely, even if it means coming to a stop. Yelling out "on your left" or "passing" and assuming their instructions are heard and clear and proceeding at speed is a complete failure of proper safety protocol.

Hum, hadn't thought about it like that. I am used to hearing those warnings as a runner and it's standard practice here (Fairmount Park). Since I'm primarily a runner I consider myself a lot more aware and considerate than those cyclists who come bombing along at 22mph. Also I know to stay on one side of the path. But I'll heed the advice and wear the cone of shame today.

2011-07-21 8:23 AM

User image

Chicago

Wow, people being pretty hard on this guy.

Sounds like the runner basically jumped out in front of him.  I understand what everybody's saying about it ultimately being the cyclists responsibility, but there's no earthly reason for that kid to have wandered to the middle of a 12-foot wide path, regardless of what he thought he heard.  Unless he's passing someone himself, he should stay as far to the right as possible at all times, no?

I'm sure the kid just got startled, which is why I've pretty much stopped the whole "on your left" thing, and just try to buzz by them as quickly and safely as possible when I'm in this situation.  I've found the "on your left" announcement to probably do more harm than good overall.

2011-07-21 8:27 AM

I just always hold my line when I hear "on your left".  Same with people barreling down on me on the highway when I'm in a car.. they're naturally going to swerve around me, so I hold my line. 
2011-07-21 8:28 AM
in reply to: #3607753

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
duder5189 - 2011-07-21 7:23 AM
I'm sure the kid just got startled, which is why I've pretty much stopped the whole "on your left" thing, and just try to buzz by them as quickly and safely as possible when I'm in this situation.  I've found the "on your left" announcement to probably do more harm than good overall.

Well, I see you are also reckless and have managed to justify it. I hope your "buzz by them" plan works out ok for everyone. However, if you injure someone, I hope you have a good lawyer and insurance.
2011-07-21 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3607765

User image

Pro

bryancd - 2011-07-21 8:28 AM
duder5189 - 2011-07-21 7:23 AM I'm sure the kid just got startled, which is why I've pretty much stopped the whole "on your left" thing, and just try to buzz by them as quickly and safely as possible when I'm in this situation.  I've found the "on your left" announcement to probably do more harm than good overall.
Well, I see you are also reckless and have managed to justify it. I hope your "buzz by them" plan works out ok for everyone. However, if you injure someone, I hope you have a good lawyer and insurance.

Wow. Hey I was at fault for going a bit faster than is safe but you don't just stop and cross a path or street without looking, do you?

2011-07-21 8:36 AM
in reply to: #3607710

User image

Runner
bsc77 - 2011-07-21 9:04 AM

Glad you guys didn't get injured, that's the important thing. I don't think that runners react to "on your left" like cyclists do, a big reason is a substantial amount of runners crank the tunes while running (I'm guilty of that).

Since I started cycling I'm a heck of a lot more conscience of my surroundings when running.

I think it's because most of the people running out there have never heard the term before.

I know what "on your left" means due to the time I spent in track and cross country. I also know that when someone yells "track", it means move to the outside, someone wants the inside lane.

I am also willing to bet the OP startled the heck out of the kid, and he reacted in an unfortunate direction.
2011-07-21 8:37 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
duder5189 - 2011-07-21 8:23 AM

but there's no earthly reason for that kid to have wandered to the middle of a 12-foot wide path, regardless of what he thought he heard.  Unless he's passing someone himself, he should stay as far to the right as possible at all times, no?

Pedestrians are only allowed so much room on the mutli-use path? I didn't know there was such a rule.

2011-07-21 8:37 AM

User image

duder5189 - 2011-07-21 6:23 AM

Sounds like the runner basically jumped out in front of him.  I understand what everybody's saying about it ultimately being the cyclists responsibility, but there's no earthly reason for that kid to have wandered to the middle of a 12-foot wide path, regardless of what he thought he heard.  Unless he's passing someone himself, he should stay as far to the right as possible at all times, no?

What could possibly go wrong. shaking head
2011-07-21 8:38 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

Being from Chicago, you should know how dangerous 17mph on multiuse paths is. As a runner, with a bike coming at you from behind with little warning it hardley makes a difference if the bike is going 17 or 22. It comes up fast. I know people get hurt constantly on the Lakefront paths in Chicago and they are considering an 8mph speed limit. These paths are not designed for speeds like that. There are blind corners, people coming both ways, kids that don't know any better etc./etc./etc.. As a runner and cyclist I'd be happy if they put an 8mph speed limit on these paths. I'd feel much safer and feel better that the walkers/weekend warrior fitness peeps/and kids are safe. I'll happily keep my cycling to the low traffic country roads.
2011-07-21 8:38 AM
in reply to: #3607780

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
moldoverb - 2011-07-21 7:33 AM

Wow. Hey I was at fault for going a bit faster than is safe but you don't just stop and cross a path or street without looking, do you?

As per your description of what happened, the kid was running down a path, not crossing an intersection, I fail to see how that is germaine.
2011-07-21 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3607740

User image

Expert
Savannah
moldoverb - 2011-07-21 9:18 AM
COSkiGirl - 2011-07-21 8:11 AM

Hum, hadn't thought about it like that. I am used to hearing those warnings as a runner and it's standard practice here (Fairmount Park). Since I'm primarily a runner I consider myself a lot more aware and considerate than those cyclists who come bombing along at 22mph. Also I know to stay on one side of the path. But I'll heed the advice and wear the cone of shame today.

From a pedestrian's perspective there isn't much difference between 17 at 22mph.

2011-07-21 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3607788

User image

Pro
Scout7 - 2011-07-21 8:36 AM
bsc77 - 2011-07-21 9:04 AM

I think it's because most of the people running out there have never heard the term before. I know what "on your left" means due to the time I spent in track and cross country. I also know that when someone yells "track", it means move to the outside, someone wants the inside lane. I am also willing to bet the OP startled the heck out of the kid, and he reacted in an unfortunate direction.

People living in the city (Philly) and out on the path at 6:30am are pretty aware of the rules. It's the same people every day. Not saying I wasn't wrong, just saying that's a reality. And I still think I did the right thing trying to explain them to him.

2011-07-21 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3607780

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
moldoverb - 2011-07-21 8:33 AM

bryancd - 2011-07-21 8:28 AM
duder5189 - 2011-07-21 7:23 AM I'm sure the kid just got startled, which is why I've pretty much stopped the whole "on your left" thing, and just try to buzz by them as quickly and safely as possible when I'm in this situation.  I've found the "on your left" announcement to probably do more harm than good overall.

Pretty sure when someone scares the heck out of you, you may do all sorts of things that might not seem logical looking back
2011-07-21 8:48 AM

User image

2011-07-21 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3607792

User image

Chicago
lisac957 - 2011-07-21 8:37 AM

but there's no earthly reason for that kid to have wandered to the middle of a 12-foot wide path, regardless of what he thought he heard.  Unless he's passing someone himself, he should stay as far to the right as possible at all times, no?

Pedestrians are only allowed so much room on the mutli-use path? I didn't know there was such a rule.

I don't know that there's a rule, but it's courtesy and smart, safe practice, no?  If you're walking shoulder to shoulder with someone, sure, go ahead and use the whole width of your side of the path.  But if you're jogging or walking alone, I don't see why you would want to leave the right edge of the path if you know there could be people passing you.

2011-07-21 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3607825

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
crusevegas - 2011-07-21 7:48 AM

It really is this simple.

Apparently not. It seems to be open to interpretation, what any individual "thinks" or "feels" is reasonable and expected.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I hit a runner while on my bike today Rss Feed  

of 6