General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I hit a runner while on my bike today Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2011-07-21 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3607695

User image

Veteran
Central Point
Subject: RE: I hit a runner while on my bike today
I think I'm going to switch from "on your left" to "SQUIRREL"

2011-07-21 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Houston

Just because I can't imagine a 5 page thread I haven't posted in....

I think it is important to remember who is using these paths.

Yes there are runners, joggers, powerwalkers, etc.  But on any given day there is the occasional family on a stroll, or someone who hasn't been in a park on a regular basis there entire life.  They aren't going to know the "rules" and are not going to understand any reason for them.

You have to remember that while you are moving, and thinking at 20 mph the person walking is lost in there own thoughts, or missery, and doesn't have that level of attentiveness.

When you aren't expecting it "On your left", when spoken at a high rate of speed, with a sense of urgency is almost impossible to understand.... and that assumes they speak english.  I use it if they seem to be wide, or if there is someone coming in the other direction and I slowed down.  But if they are to the right side it is very often better just to go by as far to the leftside as possible without startling them.

I did a 22 mile out and back ride last night from my house and only the 3 miles closest to my house were on the roads. 

Some of it was empty, some mostly bikes.  But the last 5 or so was on a very technical MUP... and it was getting dark. 

I came upon a few couples, some slower bikers, and in one case a family of 4 spread all the way across the path.  I didn't hit them though, and I didn't set any speed records... but I did get some really nice speeds and fun turns since I finally got to what pretends to be hills around here.  I'd get 2 minutes of flying, followed by having to slow down as I turned a corner to see if there was anyone ahead.... of course, I needed to slow down to make sure I didn't end up in the creek anyway.

I'm a pretty agressive driver, and that transfers over to the bike.  But I try to remember that the people out there walking are less predictable than the other cars on the freeway.

2011-07-21 2:49 PM

Veteran
Liberty Lake, WA
I never say "on your left" because of how retarded people are...I just blow past them...the people around where I live are dumb
2011-07-21 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Only time I ride on multi-use trails is when I'm on a mountain bike with flats, no clips, no cages and that's usually on a pub crawl.  Nice and easy.  I just can't get a good workout due to the slow speeds you have to do on those paths.  Too many sharp turns and of course all the walkers, joggers etc.  I don't do this because my confidence in the average person's common sense is reduced each year

Glad neither person was seriously injured.

2011-07-21 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3608201

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

crusevegas - 2011-07-21 8:54 AM
Scout7 - 2011-07-21 8:18 AM
crusevegas - 2011-07-21 11:13 AM
BikerGrrrl - 2011-07-21 7:57 AM
bradword - 2011-07-21 9:15 AM This thread is just crazy. A runner bolts out in front of someone and it's the cyclist fault? So if I'm walking down the street and jump in front of a car it's their fault? I use a multi-use trail all the time for my cycling up here. I slow down, give plenty of space and do as much as I can to avoid others, but if someone doesn't look and turns in front of you, it's not your fault. I guess I'll get shelled for having this opinion, oh well.

I agree 100% with this, thanks for saving me the typing.

So if a pedestrian legally enters a crosswalk and gets hit by a motor vehicle you think the driver is blameless?!?
Actually I believe that the situation being discussed isn't a pedestrian legally entering a crosswalk, but rather jaywalking.

If that's the case then it's a poor or inacurate comparison,,,,, as with the crosswalk the pedestrian on the path has the RIGHT of Way, the pedestrian Jawalking does not....   

The correct analogy here is to a pedestrian walking down the sidewalk, and then suddenly and without warning sprinting across a pedestrian crossing directly in front of a car without looking. Sure, the pedestrian has the right of way on a pedestrian crossing, but just as there is a burden on the driver to yield to the pedestrian, there is a common-sense burden on the pedestrian to act fairly predictably and with a reasonable amount of caution.

2011-07-21 4:10 PM

User image

Just saw a great Road ID commercial aired on the TDF that addressed this issue.  It's been covered in this thread.

Link:  Roadid.com/roadrules

Top 5 Tips for Passing Cars, Cyclists & Pedestrians

Wendell

2011-07-21 4:26 PM
in reply to: #3608783

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

xine2kgts - 2011-07-21 1:49 PM I never say "on your left" because of how retarded people are...I just blow past them...the people around where I live are dumb

Glad you fit in...

2011-07-21 4:52 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
I love the MUPs here - on certain days/times they are empty and I get great rides in! Other days/times... not so much. EVERY situation I come upon with other MUP users is different and treated accordingly. Ultimately, it is my responsibility as a biker, to yield to (avoid hitting) everybody else out there.
2011-07-21 4:55 PM

User image

Champion
MA

When I'm around families and not serious cyclists I say 'stay right' as I pass them as on your left only confuses them.

Last summer I was riding on mut in rural MN and in 35 miles I'll see maybe 8 people.  Came upon a family on bikes going across whole trail coming towards me and we did that dance who is holding their line and who is moving over.

2011-07-21 4:55 PM
in reply to: #3608785

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
reecealan - I don't do this because my confidence in the average person's common sense is reduced each year

It takes a YEAR?!?  Jeez. 'bout daily around these parts.

On a related note, I made an accidental discovery of a great time to hit a MUP.  Right before a storm blows in they will be ghost towns. All the families, casual walkers and dog people will be heading for shelter. Of course, YOU might have to dodge things then like tree branches and windblown sand, but nothing in the way.

I would think using them during the hottest part of a hot day could yield similar expanses of abandonment. 

I have learned not to use "on your left" outside of races or group rides. Inconsistent and therefore dangerous results. Better to just make a random noise (bell, clicking brake handles, whistling) or do nothing and go wide. If you have to go close slow the **** down!

2011-07-21 5:43 PM
in reply to: #3609017

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
With the color scheme of your bike Faded, I would think people could see you coming up from behind. Wink

2011-07-21 5:50 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

"But I'm glad I didn't go with my first reaction to curse and yell, and hopefully he keeps running safely. "

To me, this speaks volumes about you as a person. Well done. Heal fast My Friend.

2011-07-21 5:56 PM

User image

Elite

I stopped announcing myself long time ago. I, along with the other users, are responsible to know the rules. I have scared more people announcing myself than I have just passing them by far. Does not matter either, on you left, hello, bike, whistle, near, far what ever... they do stupid stuff and jump right in front of you like some scared deer in headlights.

I mean... it's a MULTI USE PATH... not a side walk, not a strolling path, not a dog path ONLY. At least around hear there is a pretty active community and the paths are pretty busy with bikes and runners wizzing around. With all the head phones out there nobody is listening anyway. Good thing is only small parts are crowded. Can't tell you how irritating it is when the person is staying to the right and Fido is in the bushes on the other side to the path with a 30 foot leash!

2011-07-22 6:35 AM

User image

Pro

Just a little sore today and scabby. Guess I slid on my right glute a bit more than I had thought because it's technicolor. Skip the bike today but I'll run on the treadmill. 86 degrees at 7am??

The one comment I thought I would hear that I didn't is that I was a wimp for cutting the ride short.

2011-07-22 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3607955

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Out2BeALoser - 2011-07-21 9:23 AM Not going to offer opinions on right or wrong here but one thing I began doing was modifying what I announce a bit. Given various reactions I've gotten I now say "passing on your left". Seems like more people I pass react better to that and don't have to know the rules about the "on your left" announcement. YMMV.

Yes!  I've learned to say "I'm passing on your left."  It's true that most walkers/ joggers don't know this and aren't expecting it, and as someone said, they just hear "left" and go left.

2011-07-22 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3610148

chayes - 2011-07-22 1:15 PM

Out2BeALoser - 2011-07-21 9:23 AM Not going to offer opinions on right or wrong here but one thing I began doing was modifying what I announce a bit. Given various reactions I've gotten I now say "passing on your left". Seems like more people I pass react better to that and don't have to know the rules about the "on your left" announcement. YMMV.

Yes!  I've learned to say "I'm passing on your left."  It's true that most walkers/ joggers don't know this and aren't expecting it, and as someone said, they just hear "left" and go left.

This.  Also I try to sound cheerful rather than something else - like urgent or annoyed or however these things can be misconstrued.  So I might say something like "Hi there I'm coming by on your left".  I also slow down and say it far enough back that I can react if they panic.  And if they don't hear me because they have their head phones cranked way up, then they deserve to be startled.

2011-07-22 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member

I'm an and ride on my MUP on the p2sl in aerobars if no one is in range/sight. But always on the brakes near people, and I have a big bell (and lights) on it. Bell works really well because people are used to it.

Our speed limit is 20km/hr (12.5mph) but it's pretty common to be going 30-40km/hr (20-25mph). We even have cops doing speed traps on our pathways - frequently.

One time I was bombing along at 32-33 and I got passed by a mountain bike. Huge WTF on my face until I saw his battery/motor. Guy was easily going 50km/hr or more.

So yah, different pathways, different behaviors I guess.

Attached is my latest problem (from a couple days ago)

2011-07-22 2:32 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, AB
Silver member

I'm an @ss and ride on my MUP on the p2sl in aerobars if no one is in range/sight. But always on the brakes near people, and I have a big bell (and lights) on it. Bell works really well because people are used to it.

Our speed limit is 20km/hr (12.5mph) but it's pretty common to be going 30-40km/hr (20-25mph). We even have cops doing speed traps on our pathways - frequently.

One time I was bombing along at 32-33 and I got passed by a mountain bike. Huge WTF on my face until I saw his battery/motor. Guy was easily going 50km/hr or more.

So yah, different pathways, different behaviors I guess.

Attached is my latest problem (from a couple days ago)

Edited by Khyron 2011-07-22 2:36 PM

(deer2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
deer2.jpg (95KB - 9 downloads)
2011-07-22 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3609500

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
moldoverb - 2011-07-22 7:35 AM

The one comment I thought I would hear that I didn't is that I was a wimp for cutting the ride short.

getting wounded while riding will take it out of ya no matter who you are...I too am turning multicolor from my run in with the trash can...bruise about the size of a baseball...heal up buddy...

2011-07-22 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3609013

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

RockTractor - 2011-07-21 3:52 PM I love the MUPs here - on certain days/times they are empty and I get great rides in! Other days/times... not so much. EVERY situation I come upon with other MUP users is different and treated accordingly. Ultimately, it is my responsibility as a biker, to yield to (avoid hitting) everybody else out there.

@RockTractor I sure missed the Bosque while it was closed.  I've only biked it a couple times though, I'm usually running on the gravel next to it!

2011-07-25 11:59 PM
in reply to: #3610655

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
rrrunner - 2011-07-22 3:13 PM
@RockTractor I sure missed the Bosque while it was closed.  I've only biked it a couple times though, I'm usually running on the gravel next to it!

I know what you mean - it seems that path was so central to many of my favorite training routes!
And now the foothills are open too (that's where I do most of my running).

2011-07-26 4:30 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia

I use MUP all the time for both running and cycling.  Here in Western Australia a bell is mandatory and that's what I like when doing both.  When running, a little 'ding' behind me means I know there's a cyclist coming and I always wave or say "thanks".  When cycling, as someone says above, everybody knows what the bell means and will keep over to the side (the left here).  If there's a crowd of people chatting who don't hear the bell, I'll shout "BIKE" at the top of my lungs and that usually sends them scattering by which time I will have slowed to a crawl cos you never know which direction they'll go on. Luckily the paths I used are frequented by loads of bikes so people are used to the mix of users and are sensible.  Sometimes though, we get people who aren't alert and sadly, we had a fatality last year when a walker jumped into the path of a bike.  I once hit a pedestrian in Edinburgh but on the street - she was a visitor from the States and looked the wrong way before stepping into the road from between parked cars about 2 feet in front of me.  It was horrible, I broke her arm and managed to slash open my thigh but she was lucky it was just little me and not a bus.

I'm glad that you are both okay and hope the road rash heals fast.  Be careful out there.

Edited by daisymouse 2011-07-26 4:35 AM
2011-07-26 7:42 AM

User image

Oviedo, Florida

I've never had a problem with "on your left". I always give plenty of notice and typically get a signal from the walker, runner. If not, I do tend to slow down, but in all honesty, I don't slow down a whole lot.

I've never had anyone jump in front of me or veer left when they heard the On Your Left!. Maybe it's because the elementary schools here teach biking/walking/running safety around 2nd or 3rd grade. They go through all the "on your left" stuff and the kids bring that home.

As a runner, I always appreciate getting notice from bikers, and I always acknowledge.  Nothing freaks me out more than having a bike blow by my unannounced. Scares the you-know-what out of me.

But I guess I'm setting myself up for disaster at some time. Many runners/walkers run with their MP3's and probably can't hear $hit anyway. I guess it's only a matter of time before someone decides to make a u-turn without looking behind them.

2011-07-26 7:55 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
I was thinking about this thread on my long run this weekend.  I was at about mile 11 and the wheels were falling off  so to speak so my brain wasn't all there ?and I was on a narrowish sidewalk not an MUP so not expecting a biker to be on the sidewalk?.  All I heard from behind me was "left" and without even thinking about it I jumped left.  Now, I jumped so far left that I was in the grass and turning to look behind before the biker came up close.  I think he realized how much he'd startled me and apologized as he went by as I was also apologizing to him.  My point is, even those of us who know what we're supposed to do react the wrong way at times, especially if we're tired or in a zone.  Expecting the same reaction from every human every time sets us up for bad situations. 
2011-07-26 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3608334

User image

Veteran
Austin, TX
triforce - 2011-07-21 11:43 AM

People in general need to learn to be more aware of others and realize how their actions will affect those around them. When I'm running on a multi-use trail and I want to turn around at a certain mile marker, I step off the trail first so that I can make sure I won't be inconveniencing or running into anyone behind me. I stay on the right at all times unless I'm passing, even if I think no one's around. I go single file with my partner when running, walking or riding as soon as I see someone ahead or hear someone behind. Heck, if I'm in a grocery store pushing a cart and have to stop or slow down, I pull to the side and out of people's way. These things aren't hard to do; they're born of the simple fact that I realize I'm not the only person in the world and that I need to be considerate of those trying to move around me.

As someone said, this is America; we stay to the right. It's simple common sense and courtesy that everyone needs to adhere to for things to run smoothly, whether on MUPs or in everyday life.

Amen.  And let people out of elevators first too...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I hit a runner while on my bike today Rss Feed  

of 6