United States
Ironman North America Athlete Services
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 00m 26s
Overall Rank = 198/1822
Age Group = 30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 30/181
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4:00 AM, light stretching while get stuff together. Had a tight back the previous day and it was still lingering this morning. Had a bagel w/ peanut butter and some water 2 hrs prior to race. Took bus to transition area and set up in the rain, was worried the event would change to a du or possibly canx, but clear prior to swim start. Would have probably set up transition area differently if it wasn't raining. Powerbar and water about hour prior to start, then walked to swim start. Second to last wave to go off; so about 90% of the field was ahead of us.
Event warmup:

No warmup other than stretching due to lightening/rain.
Swim
  • 44m 7s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

Input training numbers.
Again very slow swim, probably could have push hard in the middle. Continued to get off course to the right; need to work on that amoung other swimming drills. I believe the low stroke rate and off course contributed to the overall permformance in the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Higher stroke rate and work on staying on the buoy ropes.
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

1/4 mi run to bike and then about the same to get out of bike transition area. Thought the time would be have been more with such a long run to and from. Actual trans was good, helmet and glasses on first, then shoes, and gel bottle in side pocket; long run to bike exit.

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 20m
  • 56 miles
  • 24.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Nailed this course. Early thought I might be pushing too hard, especially having to pass so many people, but at around mile 40 I was able to put more out and had some help from the wind. Very busy course had to hit the brakes a few times because we were 4 or 5 wide. Had aquabottle on the aero bars; water in the big tank and accerade in the small tank. Refilled water at aid station half way; no stop, filled on the fly. Still had about 1/4 left in both on finish.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 11m 19s
Comments:

Not sure why the time is so high, had a smooth dismount and change to running fairly well. Didn't rush the trans, but still had to be shorter than the 11 min time.

Should have took helmet off sooner, basically while running.
Run
  • 1h 41m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Held a great pace at the beginning, but fell off by the third lap. Took gel blasts with me and ate them during the first lap. Took water every stop on the first lap, then mixed it with gatorade, water and ice. One stop on lap three, took cola. Staying cool was key, took ice as much as possible. Put it in my hat, pockets, and down the tri suit to stay cool.

Should have pushed the last lap more, had too much left at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Light stretch, pizza, banana, and IM perform. Never really tighten up, felt great the next day for driving.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't push myself as much as I should have in all three disciplines. The previous IM experience had me more cautious this time, especially on the run w/ the heat. Still had a better time, but could have easily broke 5 hr. It was hard to know where I was since I didn't have an acturate swim time.

Event comments:

Didn't like the long transition areas. Had to be bused to and from event, which add to the stress of check-in and race day.

Last updated: 2011-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:07 | 1931 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/181
Overall: 945/1822
Performance: Below average
NA
Suit: Zoot tri suit
Course: 1 loop lake course
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:20:00 | 56 miles | 24.00 mile/hr
Overall: 36/1822
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 1 loop course in and around Orlando. Some 90 degree turns and a couple 180 turns. Mostly flat, couple of small hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 11:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:41:27 | 13.1 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Overall: 163/1822
Performance: Average
Course: 3 lap course. Portion was on a grass trail filled with holes. Overall good course, shade for some of it.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes