General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ohio Street Beach? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-21 2:43 PM

User image

New user

Morris
Subject: Ohio Street Beach?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to posting on the forums, and I can't seem to find answers anywhere else..lol.

What hours can a person swim at the Ohio Street Beach? Is that the only place in all of the Chicago area to practice open-water swimming?

Thanks!

Jim

2011-07-21 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3608766

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
Subject: RE: Ohio Street Beach?
jimsutterfield - 2011-07-21 2:43 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to posting on the forums, and I can't seem to find answers anywhere else..lol.

What hours can a person swim at the Ohio Street Beach? Is that the only place in all of the Chicago area to practice open-water swimming?

Thanks!

Jim

Jim,

Here is what I foudn on the Chicago Park Dist:

The Chicago Park District manages the city's 26 miles of open and free lakefront for the enjoyment of Chicago residents and visitors. Admission to Chicago's beaches is free.

The 2011 beach season runs from May 27 to September 5. Swimming is permitted when lifeguards are on duty, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. at all beaches. In mid-summer, from June 20 - August 21, select beaches open for swimming earlier in the day, at 9:30 a.m. These beaches are: Leone, Montrose, North Avenue, 31st Street, 41st Street, South Shore and Calumet.

Swim restrictions may be put in place based on weather or water quality conditions. Check back here throughout the season for up to date information on swim status at all beaches. You can also call (312) 74-BEACH, or text the name of your beach to (312) 715-SWIM.

2011-07-21 4:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
jimsutterfield - 2011-07-21 2:43 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Jim

It's not the only place to practice open water swimming but there are almost always a lot of people and triathletes there swimming which makes it nice if you don't have a swimming partner. Plus there are markers that mark off 1/4 and 1/2 mile 1-way distances. There are usually people out there swimming from dawn to dusk.

2011-07-21 10:24 PM

Veteran

I have heard about some people swimming further  north (Glenco, zion etc..) but Ohio is the best place.  If you get in trouble, the water is so shallow you'll be fine.  It's very well guarded too.  Wed 4 guards and 2 guard boats over a 1/2 mile.  You can also swim the 1/2 mile from oak to the north av pier  but its a lot deeper and not guarded as well.  It's also not protected by the breakwall so it can get kind of rough when the wind is out of the east.

Good Luck

2011-07-22 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
I swam at Ohio Street last Sunday at 8:30am. Was great!
2011-07-22 10:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison
I am out there at 5:30am a couple of times a week and there are already people swimming.  You just have to remember there are no guards at the off hours so having a partner is a good idea so you are not by yourself.

2011-07-23 7:45 AM

User image

New user

Morris

Thanks everyone.

I live about an hour or so away from the beach, which is why getting there early is important for me. I would love to drive up there on a Sunday morning, get a good hard swim in, and get out of the city before traffic really cranks up. That's why, when I saw that the beach was open at 11am, I was a bit concerned.

Thanks again! I'm sure I'll see some of you out there...lol

2018-07-17 5:30 PM

Still good to go here on a weekday at 6:30am? Just swim at own risk with no lifeguard? Also how are temps with no wetsuit mid July? Ok? Thanks for your help. Traveling to Chicago for work, but need to get some swim in.
2018-07-17 8:36 PM
in reply to: boggsej

User image

Welcome to the forum!

I don't know where you are coming from, so I can't say if you would want a wet suit not for swimming in the lake. But as of today the water temperature is 72 degrees, which is close to about as high as it gets.

But, today there is also a beach hazard warning (at least down here in NW Indiana) for strong undertow and rip currents. If you are not familiar with these and how to get out of them, I would advise to stay out. Better to be safe than dead. Sorry to be a buzzkill. Perhaps the currents will cease before you head back home.

J White
2018-07-17 9:56 PM
in reply to: #5246473

Thanks J White -

Actually grew up in the region, but live in TN now. Water temp sounds ok to swim thanks for sharing.
2018-07-24 1:03 PM
in reply to: boggsej

You can swim there whenever you want. My experience (not saying the official rules, just saying my experience) Is that you can swim anywhere around chicago whenever you want. I've heard if you swim directly away from shore for a long distance they can arrest you or hit you with a fine, but so long as you stay near shore you can do anything you want. Personally I prefer to go at non lifeguard times because for whatever reason the lifeguards in Chicago are insanely paranoid. What would be considered a rather quiet day on your average midatlantic seafront beach is a four alarm "everybody out of this horribly dangerous water!!!!!!" in Chicago. And most of the water is so shallow I can't imagine even a barely decent swimmer having a problem (absent some kind of massive cardiac event or something while in the water). And as others have said the water is crazy warm this year. I think there's a 2.4 miler in Evanston this weekend. http://www.greatlakeplunge.com/

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ohio Street Beach? Rss Feed