General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sprint tri during taper for IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-21 7:33 PM

90 miles south of Titletown, USA
Subject: sprint tri during taper for IM
Wondering what any coaches or those in the know would think about doing a sprint tri two weeks prior to an IM?

Besides the risk of injury (which I am willing to accept) is there any downside to taking this approach? I have never had a coach and have always trained by the seat of my pants so I have no idea if it's a good or bad idea or totally indifferent, training-wise. I wouldn't think it would hurt my performance on raceday and would think that there could be some benefit (minimal, I admit) to putting in a hard effort that is easy to recover from.

It's a small, local tri that a few close friends are doing so it would be a fun event to do. However, if folks who know much more about this than I do would say it's a really bad idea I will just opt to volunteer.

Thanks.

2011-07-22 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3609147

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: sprint tri during taper for IM

I see you have already addressed the "risk" factor.

History is littered with athletes who do something stupid just a couple of weeks before Ironman. Round a corner, hit a curb. Pull a hamstring charging for the finish line. Trip and fall and break a collarbone getting into the water. All kinds of strange things have happened.  Blah blah blah.

You don't have to wrap yourself in cotton and stick yourself in the closet, but I wouldn't take unnecessary risks. 

I wouldn't do it. But I'm assuming you will do whatever you think is best. Kiss

From a recovery standpoint, I don't think it shoudl be an issue. A typical sprint takes less than an hour and a half.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sprint tri during taper for IM Rss Feed