General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you post your workouts on Facebook? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-07-22 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3609542

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Do you post your workouts on Facebook?
Scout7 - 2011-07-22 7:06 AMWhat the heck is a facebook, and why would anyone even want one?
Couldn't agree more. Never been on Facebook probably never will.

2011-07-22 12:04 PM
in reply to: #3609351

User image

New user

I use to, mainly because I loved the maps and stats and was therefore convinced everyone esle would be, it took me a couple of years to realise no one actually cared...especially the majority who would rather spend their weekends getting drunk...so I stopped and not one person mentioned it..guess I was right to
2011-07-22 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3609373

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
tuwood - 2011-07-21 11:27 PM

When i first started training a year ago I was posting every workout to FB mostly as an accountability thing for me to keep going.  Everybody's watching so I better work out today...

But after a month or so I realized that it was pretty annoying to people and like you said just showing off.  So now the only time I post anything on FB is a race result or some freaky good workout because I really am bragging at that point.  

This is exactly what I did.  Now I only post about my workouts if I've had a breakthrough, finished a race or something amusing happened.  It doesn't bother me when my friends post about their workouts.  Most of the ones who do are in the same place that I was a year and a half ago and it's good to see them getting out there and doing it.

2011-07-22 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3609783

User image

Master
Saratoga Springs, Utah

1stTimeTri - 2011-07-22 8:36 AM Why is it that posting your BT workouts (or any workout) on FB showing off?  You're on FB - you're showing off just about EVERYTHING anyways!  Point is moot.

Not when you can not see my log.

2011-07-22 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Actually, when my Training Peaks puts it on FB, it just puts a link to my TP account and that specific workout.  If they choose to follow the link, then they can see all the detail they want (power, cadence, yada yada yada).  I think I like this better than a full workout post.
2011-07-22 6:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I periodically post a link to my Garmin file for bike rides or certain runs.  I don't add much commentary though.  If I have a good race, I might put a link to my race report.  Never had any negative reaction & those who are uninterested in it tend not to look anyway.  It's a social site & this is how I keep friends updated on what I am up to.  I do keep the gas passing to myself however.

2011-07-22 6:17 PM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
I use Runkeeper and let it post to FB when I'm done.  More than anything it  let's my wife know I made it home safe... even though I've also gotten into a habit of texting her "home safe"... but yeah I post to FB.  Some of my tri friends comment, otherwise I don't think most of my FB friends give a hoot.
2011-07-23 11:04 PM
in reply to: #3609602

New user
Los Angeles
AndrewMT - 2011-07-22 5:49 AM

DerekL - 2011-07-22 7:46 AM You can always just block and defriend people who do that if you don't like it.

Exactly.  Despite having over 3/4 of my friends involved in endurance sports, none of them post their workouts.  If one of them started, they'd quickly be "defriended".  It's their perogative to post whatever they want, but I don't have to read it. 

I am in the camp that posting your workouts on fb, with few exceptions, is kind of over-the-top and can be perceived as bragging.  But "defriending" someone is aggressive. 90% of the posts I see on fb I'm not particularly interested in....but it isn't that hard to just scroll down. If a good friend posted their workouts, I wouldn't defriend them. And I'm not sure I'd want to be "real" friends with someone that would.

2011-07-24 8:57 AM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

Why would I post my workouts on FB when I use the training log on BT? For me, the reason I post my workouts is to remind myself when I am slacking, or to compare times on a given course over time. Using FB for this purpose would be like using FB as my dive log, and posting all the information there that my dive computer downloads into the desktop.

I use FB to keep up on the goings on of my kids and a few old friends, and to have another place beyond my hard drive, back up drive, and Picasa to back up favored photographs.

I also think posting every workout is either going to look like bragging about what a muscular workout stud I am, or akin to the posting every burp and fart, that I think everything that eminates from my body is of interest to others. I barely post comments, musings, or political rants there for pretty much the same reasons, unless I truly believe I am furthering a useful conversation. Or busting on the chops of one or two people who I know deserve it.

2011-07-24 1:05 PM

User image

Veteran

I never posted my workouts on fb (definitely not because it would sound like bragging - nothing to brag about here!) but because I figured no one would be interested.  Then, this summer I got a sponsorship and as part of it I agreed to use my social media outlets to talk about my own workouts and motivate others.  I worried that it would annoy my friends, but its just for the summer, so I'm doing it.

However, I've had so many people both on fb and in real life tell me how much fun they have hearing about my workouts and how it inspires them to train and maybe even race that I wonder why I wasn't posting all along! 

I also like to read about other people's workouts, so I'm happy when someone posts.

2011-07-24 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3609471

User image

Master
Baltimore
SCamp07 - 2011-07-22 6:53 AM

I've had my workouts automatically sent to FB (through Twitter) for years. I originally did it because I had a friend training for his first race and we were going to do it together. He wanted to see the workouts for motivation.

After we finished the race I just never turned off the feature. I get comments here and there on my workouts. I'm friends with a lot of BTers on FB so sometimes they'll comment there instead of inspire here.

Fast forward to earlier this year when the feature stopped working for some reason. I had tons of people ask me if something was wrong because they weren't seeing my daily workouts. I explained about the feature not working and I just hadn't taken the time to find out why. So, I posted whether anyone wanted to continue seeing my workouts because I didn't want to be an a@@hole about bragging about how great I am because I run everyday. The overwhelming response was that my friends wanted to see them. A lot of the said that seeing my workout was the motivation they needed to get out and do something themselves.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV

Seeing your workouts is sometimes the highlight of my Facebook experience!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you post your workouts on Facebook? Rss Feed  

of 3