Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-12-23 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3610710

User image

Champion
SoCal
Subject: RE: Online dating 101

Does anyone here like online dating? My friends are trying to get me to try it out but I'm reluctant.

2011-12-23 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3951442

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
lisac957 - 2011-12-23 11:58 AM

I am resurrecting this thread, for obvious reasons.

Another tip to guys:

When a girl emails you "tell me more about yourself...!" and you reply "what do you want to know?" you might be off the list. Really, you can't form a few sentences beyond your bare profile to let me know what kind of person you are? This was after he emailed me 2x, the second time saying "what, am I not your type??"

Generally the guy has exhausted his creative thinking just coming up with a bare profile

2011-12-23 12:01 PM
in reply to: #3951442

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
lisac957 - 2011-12-23 9:58 AM

Another tip to guys:

When a girl emails you "tell me more about yourself...!" and you reply "what do you want to know?" you might be off the list. Really, you can't form a few sentences beyond your bare profile to let me know what kind of person you are? This was after he emailed me 2x, the second time saying "what, am I not your type??"

When a girl emails me "tell me more about yourself..." that's a goner for her.  She obviously didn't take the time to read my rockin kick butt profile because had she, she wouldn't have to ask that question.  A girl should be intelligent enough to come up with a few witty lines beyond "tell me more"

I should post mine just for kicks...feedback is always good :P

Edit:  what the hell, why not.  Here ya'll go

Due to my new found (well rediscovered) penchant for bulleted lists, I bring you the most efficient ever "about me" section in the universe. Thanks to their formatting awesomeness, it's pretty much all the amazing stuff void of the crap filler like "umm" and "sooo". Yes, I attended a toastmasters once, what's it matter? 

Without further ado, I...

* show Bradley on my birth certificate yet will answer to Brad, Bradley, BT, Chief, You, Master Unit, Godly one
* don't wear my cape in public
* love life
*am super active. This means I run, cycle and am generally always doing something rather than sitting around. This also means I'm pretty much guaranteed to never be fat or out of shape.
*don't mind sitting around if there's someone to sit around with
* have an amazing family; every one of them. Dad, mum, siblings et al. This would mean to you that I'm halfway emotionally stable. Notice "halfway".
* spend more time outside than in
* actually enjoy my job, immensely
* think fast food is the devil except at 2am and then it's simply divine.
* am very rarely up at 2am
* believe everyone should own a pair of running shoes and actually use them
* have the coolest dog
* have been known to have conversations from time to time with the aforementioned coolest dog
* am quite quixotic (www.dictionary.com if you need assistance)
* think I'm funny. Your experience may vary but that's only your opinion
* won't task you with coming up with a "how did we meet" story
* have been known to race down streets in shopping carts
* accomplished over 100 stitches before turning 15
* do believe "chicks dig scars"
* am uber smart. If you don't think so it's because you lack the intelligence to understand.
* think my bikes (the kind you pedal) are much cooler than my car
* always thought Jessi was hotter than Kelli. AC Slater knew what was up.
* love to cook when there's someone around to cook for
* can't stand lobster, shrimp or crab unless encased in rice and slathered with wasabi
* have developed a love for swimming
* can hold my own on a golf course, board room, and your parents' dinner table
* do not have much street cred
* spent too much time on this list already

You should be:
* smart, funny, fit, witty, classy, cultured, not afraid to get dirty, and active (bonus points if you're a runner or cyclist); possess superpowers, white teeth, a car, a sense of humor, a not expired passport, love of life and openness to new things as well as an invisible jet, purple panther, horse with a horn growing out of its head and the ability to be in three places at once.
*the lack of any of the aforementioned qualities does not necessarily disqualify any interested parties.

Edited by thebigb 2011-12-23 12:05 PM
2011-12-23 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3951561

User image

Champion
Chicago

You are a handful......B

2011-12-23 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3951574

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
NRG42 - 2011-12-23 11:15 AM

You are a handful......B

Indeed I am

2011-12-23 12:29 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
thebigb - 2011-12-23 12:01 PM

Another tip to guys:

When a girl emails me "tell me more about yourself..." that's a goner for her.  

She obviously didn't take the time to read my rockin kick butt profile because had she, she wouldn't have to ask that question.  

A girl should be intelligent enough to come up with a few witty lines beyond "tell me more"

This guy had "I'll tell you later" selected for every single question and in the free for all box this:
"I'm just me. I looking for someone. That will be there for me not someone that wants a part time man. Cause I'm looking for more than that. So if you are interested in getting to know me. Leave me a email. Hope to meet the one."
Which tells me NOTHING about him.

After he asked if he was not my type I did say more than that... I was being nice when I said "It's so hard to get to know someone through a simple profile online.. you caught my attention, tell me more!" or something like that. 

2011-12-23 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3951591

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
lisac957 - 2011-12-23 11:29 AM

Another tip to guys:

When a girl emails me "tell me more about yourself..." that's a goner for her.  

She obviously didn't take the time to read my rockin kick butt profile because had she, she wouldn't have to ask that question.  

A girl should be intelligent enough to come up with a few witty lines beyond "tell me more"

This guy had "I'll tell you later" selected for every single question and in the free for all box this:
"I'm just me. I looking for someone. That will be there for me not someone that wants a part time man. Cause I'm looking for more than that. So if you are interested in getting to know me. Leave me a email. Hope to meet the one."
Which tells me NOTHING about him.

After he asked if he was not my type I did say more than that... I was being nice when I said "It's so hard to get to know someone through a simple profile online.. you caught my attention, tell me more!" or something like that. 

Wow, I'll give you props for replying to that, he must have been a looker  

If someone selects "i'll tell you later" on most of their stuff I won't even bother.

2011-12-23 1:02 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Another tip to guys:

When a girl emails me "tell me more about yourself..." that's a goner for her.  She obviously didn't take the time to read my rockin kick butt profile because had she, she wouldn't have to ask that question.  A girl should be intelligent enough to come up with a few witty lines beyond "tell me more"

Due to my new found (well rediscovered) penchant for bulleted lists, I bring you the most efficient ever "about me" section in the universe. Thanks to their formatting awesomeness, it's pretty much all the amazing stuff void of the crap filler like "umm" and "sooo". Yes, I attended a toastmasters once, what's it matter? 

* show Bradley on my birth certificate yet will answer to Brad, Bradley, BT, Chief, You, Master Unit, Godly one
* love life
*am super active. This means I run, cycle and am generally always doing something rather than sitting around. This also means I'm pretty much guaranteed to never be fat or out of shape.
* have an amazing family; every one of them. Dad, mum, siblings et al. This would mean to you that I'm halfway emotionally stable. Notice "halfway".
* have the coolest dog
* have been known to have conversations from time to time with the aforementioned coolest dog
* am uber smart. If you don't think so it's because you lack the intelligence to understand.
* can't stand lobster, shrimp or crab unless encased in rice and slathered with wasabi

You should be:
* smart, funny, fit, witty, classy, cultured, not afraid to get dirty, and active (bonus points if you're a runner or cyclist); possess superpowers, white teeth, a car, a sense of humor, a not expired passport, love of life and openness to new things as well as an invisible jet, purple panther, horse with a horn growing out of its head and the ability to be in three places at once.
*the lack of any of the aforementioned qualities does not necessarily disqualify any interested parties.

The fact that you used both "penchant" and "quixotic" in the same location is a very good thing. Laughing

I am happily engaged, and don't know anyone that lives in AZ or thereabouts that I could arrange to meet you. Too bad. Will keep my eyes open. I loved your list!

2011-12-23 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3951636

Champion
South Jersey
Whizzzzz - 2011-12-23 2:02 PM

Another tip to guys:

* love life
* have the coolest dog

You should be:

The fact that you used both "penchant" and "quixotic" in the same location is a very good thing. Laughing

I am happily engaged, and don't know anyone that lives in AZ or thereabouts that I could arrange to meet you. Too bad. Will keep my eyes open. I loved your list!

X2. Too bad you live so far away, because I do, in fact, possess superpowers. We would have made a good team. Haha. Good luck with your search.
2011-12-23 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Katy, Texas

I tried a few on-lines site buit never really had much luck with them. I finally decided I have some sort of anti-girl fungus growing on me or something.

I did want to comment about the picts guys post and the observation of why guys think girls would want to see the guys car. Try not to read to much into that. The simple fact is guys, for the most part, just don't take pictures of themselves. That's a girl thing. Think of it. Occassionally you will see a goup of girls on a "girls night out" having a great time at a resturant, lounge or bar and every 20 minutes or so they will take pictures of themselves. How many time have you ever seem a group of guys do that? The only time we do is when we buy a cool car or when we are taking a motorcycle trip through the mountains (and the motorcycle will deffinately be in that pict). I can say with all honestly that except for race finish phots and group family photos (which i would never post on-line) I have maybe 5-6 pictures taken of myself in the last 7 years.

So when you see a guys profile and the pictures are of him and a car, don't pre-judge, it quite litterlly is the only picture he has.

Oh and one other thing. Those picture guys and girls sometime post of them in front of a computer taken with thier web cam, or taken with thier cell phone in front of a mirror are the CREEPIEST pictures that can be taken and are an instant reject in my book.

Edited by x_caliber50 2011-12-23 1:59 PM
2011-12-23 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3951689

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
x_caliber50 - 2011-12-23 12:43 PM

I tried a few on-lines site buit never really had much luck with them. I finally decided I have some sort of anti-girl fungus growing on me or something.

I did want to comment about the picts guys post and the observation of why guys think girls would want to see the guys car. Try not to read to much into that. The simple fact is guys, for the most part, just don't take pictures of themselves. That's a girl thing. The only time we do is when we buy a cool car or when we are taking a motorcycle trip through the mountains (and the motorcycle will deffinately be in that pict). I can say with all honestly that except for race finish phots and group family photos (which i would never post on-line) I have maybe 5-6 pictures taken of myself in the last 7 years.

So when you see a guys profile and the pictures are of him and a car, don't pre-judge, it quite litterlly is the only picture he has.

Oh and one other thing. Those picture guys and girls sometime post of them in front of a computer taken with thier web cam, or taken with thier cell phone in front of a mirror are the CREEPIEST pictures that can be taken and are an instant reject in my book.

I'll disagree with this.  IMO, 98% of guys that put a pic up of them with a car/bike/truck etc are doing so to try and show off.  It is no different than the shirtless db mirror pic.  I don't have tons of pics either (I'm a guy) but I can easily find a few that involve zero douchebaggery.

thank goodness for page three.  Sorry about blowing the formatting of page two to bajeebus.

Edited by thebigb 2011-12-23 1:46 PM

2011-12-23 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3951692

User image

Extreme Veteran
Katy, Texas
thebigb - 2011-12-23 1:46 PM

I did want to comment about the picts guys post and the observation of why guys think girls would want to see the guys car. Try not to read to much into that. The simple fact is guys, for the most part, just don't take pictures of themselves. That's a girl thing. The only time we do is when we buy a cool car or when we are taking a motorcycle trip through the mountains (and the motorcycle will deffinately be in that pict). I can say with all honestly that except for race finish phots and group family photos (which i would never post on-line) I have maybe 5-6 pictures taken of myself in the last 7 years.

I'll disagree with this.  IMO, 98% of guys that put a pic up of them with a car/bike/truck etc are doing so to try and show off.  It is no different than the shirtless db mirror pic.  I don't have tons of pics either (I'm a guy) but I can easily find a few that involve zero douchebaggery.

thank goodness for page three.  Sorry about blowing the formatting of page two to bajeebus.

I deffinately disagree. I've taken a picture of myself with my motocycle. I wasn't showing off. I was creating a momemto of my trip.

2011-12-23 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3951701

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
x_caliber50 - 2011-12-23 1:01 PM

I deffinately disagree. I've taken a picture of myself with my motocycle. I wasn't showing off. I was creating a momemto of my trip.

I'm not saying the act of taking the picture is wrong, heck I've got plenty of me with past cars.  Just more so the act of posting that specific picture on a dating site

2011-12-23 2:20 PM

User image

Champion
SoCal

I agree with you both. Most just don't have a lot of pics of themselves but the guys that do a pic of a car on a dating site are trying to show off. I think I have 3 pics of just me not counting Tri pics. One was my very first FB profile pic just to have one, one that a friend took of me when I wasn't looking, and my current BT profile pic that I another BTer took of me while out.  

Edited by Big Appa 2011-12-23 2:21 PM
2011-12-23 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3951705

User image

Extreme Veteran
Katy, Texas
thebigb - 2011-12-23 2:05 PM
x_caliber50 - 2011-12-23 1:01 PM

I'm not saying the act of taking the picture is wrong, heck I've got plenty of me with past cars.  Just more so the act of posting that specific picture on a dating site

OK I understand your point. The only thing i was trying to convey is that, at least for me, I don't take pictures for the sake of taking pictures. There has to be some kind of purpose behind it. I got to be on a trip or with family or at a special event or something. For example; Have you ever seen a group of girls on a "girls night out" at a bar or something and every 20 minutes they'd be taking pictures of themselves? I always think to myself, What the heck for? Your at a bar. Who cares? I don't think I have ever seen a group of guys do that.

My only point was that maybe that was the only pict he had and not to pre-judge something pretty much every guy does.

But maybe a good idea would be to crop the car out of the picture.

2011-12-23 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3951724

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
x_caliber50 - 2011-12-23 3:20 PM

Have you ever seen a group of girls on a "girls night out" at a bar or something and every 20 minutes they'd be taking pictures of themselves? I always think to myself, What the heck for? Your at a bar. Who cares? I don't think I have ever seen a group of guys do that.

because when a group of girls take pictures at a bar and post them to facebook, guys take interest, when a group of guys take a picture together at the bar it looks like a group of losers

2011-12-23 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3951729

User image

Extreme Veteran
Katy, Texas
Leegoocrap - 2011-12-23 2:24 PM
x_caliber50 - 2011-12-23 3:20 PM

Have you ever seen a group of girls on a "girls night out" at a bar or something and every 20 minutes they'd be taking pictures of themselves? I always think to myself, What the heck for? Your at a bar. Who cares? I don't think I have ever seen a group of guys do that.

because when a group of girls take pictures at a bar and post them to facebook, guys take interest, when a group of guys take a picture together at the bar it looks like a group of losers

Haha, and that would be exactly what they were

2011-12-23 5:08 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Dude, will you marry me??
That has to be one of the more awesome lists I've ever read. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Online dating 101 Rss Feed  

of 3