Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Need help - looking for a new washing machine Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-23 3:38 PM

New user
Subject: Need help - looking for a new washing machine

Our washing machine decided to stop working & w/ the burnt motor smell, I believe it is terminal.  I have been looking at washing machines for the past few days & am undecided.  What we do want is a top load washer.  What we don't want in a top load washer is one w/o the agitator & one that requires the high efficiency laundry detergent. 

Once that has caught my eye is a Fisher & Paykel.  Anyone had any experience with these? 

Any other suggestions on ones to look at or stay away from?  We have looked at a Speed Queen too, but undecided all around. 

Thanks in advance!!!!

2011-07-23 6:18 PM
in reply to: #3611536

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Need help - looking for a new washing machine

I'm not sure about those brands in particular, but I can say the top loaders without the agitators are unbelievable.  We have a Whilrpool Cabrio and love it.  I will say that it is mandatory to get one with the glass lid on it because we didn't and it drives us crazy not being able to look in and see what's going on.  lol

Also, we were worried about the cost of HE detergent but after we went to the store we discovered that dam near all detergents are HE now so there's no additional expense there.

2011-07-24 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3611676

New user
tuwood - 2011-07-23 6:18 PM

I'm not sure about those brands in particular, but I can say the top loaders without the agitators are unbelievable.  We have a Whilrpool Cabrio and love it.  

How much can you put in it?  A salesperson at one store said it is easy to overload that type of a washer & then your clothes don't come clean. 

2011-07-25 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Well, if you want a top load, with an agitator, that is gonna be in the old school section.

My last house was a rental and had a washing machine in it like what you are looking for, I believe it was a bottom of the line GE. Worked fine for the year we were there. No complaints and I believe I saw it going brand new for less than $300.

2011-07-26 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3614177

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I will 2nd the top loader suggestion.  I was all gung ho when the front loaders came out and got one, but I now have top loader envy.  You can fit far more into a top loader.  I also miss the days of letting the water fill then adding the garments.  Ah well, I will live wtih my front loader till it dies many moons from now
2011-07-26 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3612051

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
moogley - 2011-07-24 8:30 AM
tuwood - 2011-07-23 6:18 PM

I'm not sure about those brands in particular, but I can say the top loaders without the agitators are unbelievable.  We have a Whilrpool Cabrio and love it.  

How much can you put in it?  A salesperson at one store said it is easy to overload that type of a washer & then your clothes don't come clean. 

I don't know the official volume of it, but I do know that my kids went from having to do 3 or 4 loads of laundry down to 2 per week.  They jam that thing pretty full and they come out clean.  Like I said earlier though without the glass top I have no idea how it does inside it to get them clean and it's driving me crazy.  And to add insult to injury the safety switch to bypass the lid closed is hidden inside so I can't bypass it....  arrrgh, i have to know how it works.  lol

2011-07-26 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3612051

User image

Extreme Veteran
W. Michigan

My wife does all our laundry (I was fired from doing it early in our marriage, something about shrinking jeans or something).  We moved from an old school type of W&D to the new, bigger HE kind.  You can get a LOT more clothes in the newer kind, and we've never had an issue with clothes not coming out clean.  These clothes include nice work clothes, smelly workout stuff, hockey gear, and the various stains & smells found on a 2yr old's clothes.

Why do you want to go the old-style route?

2011-07-26 4:38 PM

User image

Regular
Don't know where your located but I have a used but in good working condition Maytag - cheap.  Has 2 scratches from moving.  $150 OBO
2011-07-28 12:04 PM

User image

Master
Beijing
moogley - 2011-07-22 4:38 PM

Our washing machine decided to stop working & w/ the burnt motor smell, I believe it is terminal.  I have been looking at washing machines for the past few days & am undecided.  What we do want is a top load washer.  What we don't want in a top load washer is one w/o the agitator & one that requires the high efficiency laundry detergent. 

Once that has caught my eye is a Fisher & Paykel.  Anyone had any experience with these? 

Any other suggestions on ones to look at or stay away from?  We have looked at a Speed Queen too, but undecided all around. 

Thanks in advance!!!!

We got the Fisher and Paykel about 8 years ago.  Love it.   Replaced my first part earlier this year, it was one of the bin suspension arms.   Took about 10 minutes.    It does a great job, is nearly as efficient as a top-loader (in both power and water usage) hand has the ultra-high-speed spin cycle that dries clothes faster.   Much better than fighting with the little access holes in the front loaders.   We had front-loaders for almost a year at my parent's house.   hated them.

We also got the FP top-load dryer, and boy are these things a pair!   so easy to transfer clothes and you never miss any socks or anything in the dryer because you can look down into the drum.   Had the heater element box replaced under warranty.  It was easy-peasy.  

2011-07-28 1:13 PM

kenmore, maytag, whirlpool

NO GE Profile!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Need help - looking for a new washing machine Rss Feed