General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Giant Eagle Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-07-30 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3611846

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: RE: Giant Eagle Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread

Did the Tri for the Cure, too, this morning and I did not need a wetsuit at all. They reported the water temp as 77 before the race began. I get cold very, very easily and the water was perfect.

If they have the same t-shirts for you racers tomorrow as they had for us today they look spectacular! A nice navy with a strong graphic. So glad they had some that are made to fit women.

Again, good luck you all!

2011-07-30 4:05 PM

User image

SWOH
I did the Tri for the Cure today as well... x3 on the perfect water. What a lovely, lovely, lovely lake you Columbusites have to practice in. Perfect lake, nice course, wonderful day... I wish I could do it all again tomorrow! Good luck to everyone and I hope you had as much fun as I did this morning!
2011-07-30 7:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
I'm in cbus and let's just say this ain't your mommas motel6 I'm staying in! I'm half temper to just sleep in the truck. Good tomorrow all. ...... Adam
2011-07-31 9:28 AM

User image

SWOH
I can't wait to hear how this race went. I was so bummed that I couldn't stay in Columbus to watch the main event today. Looking forward to your race reports and seeing how well HFP pulled off the complicated setup. If anyone wants to write about the race before results are available tomorrow, I won't mind.
2011-07-31 11:43 AM

User image

Dublin, OH

Great race, beautiful day.  I just did the sprint, but the ride was awesome.  Lot's of people along the way.  Great vibe downtown at the finish.  I didn't see too many issues from a logistics point of view.  The bike was fast, as long as you dodged the pothole repairs.  It was a lot of fun. 

I'm sure there are a lot of people who were late to church this morning because of that traffic on 23/High Street.  Smile

I'll post a race report once I get my official results. 

-Kevin

2011-07-31 12:39 PM

Good to see Kate and meet Brue this morning.

I'm interested in hearing impressions on the course and transitions from anybody who participated.

2011-07-31 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3622418

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
flanag - 2011-07-31 12:43 PM

Great race, beautiful day.  I just did the sprint, but the ride was awesome.  Lot's of people along the way.  Great vibe downtown at the finish.  I didn't see too many issues from a logistics point of view.  The bike was fast, as long as you dodged the pothole repairs.  It was a lot of fun. 

I'm sure there are a lot of people who were late to church this morning because of that traffic on 23/High Street.  Smile

I'll post a race report once I get my official results. 

-Kevin

I saw a guy who looked liked he was dressed like the father of the bride, he was talking to a volunteer as I passed, I did hear him say, " I forgot about that." ...... Course was awesome, I will return for that race every year! Think how sweet it would be if they could alter a portion of the bike so the finish line could be the 50 yard line inside the horseshoe! I can dream can't I? ... More on the race later, just got back home up hear on lake Erie, nap time for me. Brue it was nice meeting you and awesome suit! ..... Adam

Edited by abrezo 2011-07-31 2:32 PM
2011-08-01 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus

awesome that i got to meet 2 more BTers - trimentia and abrezo!  great job on your races.

several others ther as well including Kate (Atena Champion) and her cycling BF dave, My good friend Rick and his family, Planet Janet, Brooke (elite champion) and ohters.

I did not like the amaount of time involved in set up and retrieval but otherwise I really enjoyed this race.

the water was too hot without a wetsuit.  there were a few who wore theirs anyway.

there was one guy blatantly standing up and dolphin diving his way down the shallow side of the swim.  i yelled at him.  there were several runners in the water I doubt anyone was penalized for this even though they said they would be.

they missed T1 times which I really want to know since i put on my costume there.  i assume i spent 1 to 1.5 minutes longer in T1 than usual. so it was 1:30 - 2:00

My family was at Oly Bike mile 20.  Smile

it seems they were having trouble keeping up with bikes coming in.

there was one spot in the run when I had to yell back to other runners which way to go.  could have used a potter there or the previous group could have corrected before we got that far.

all in all though i thought volunteer-ship was great.

the post race food was awesome thanks to giant eagle and others.

I road from downtown to alum afterthe race to retrieve my car and stuff.

It is more competitive than most local tris.

2011-08-01 2:19 PM
in reply to: #3624078

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
bruehoyt - 2011-08-01 2:55 PM

awesome that i got to meet 2 more BTers - trimentia and abrezo!  great job on your races.

several others ther as well including Kate (Atena Champion) and her cycling BF dave, My good friend Rick and his family, Planet Janet, Brooke (elite champion) and ohters.

I did not like the amaount of time involved in set up and retrieval but otherwise I really enjoyed this race.

the water was too hot without a wetsuit.  there were a few who wore theirs anyway.

there was one guy blatantly standing up and dolphin diving his way down the shallow side of the swim.  i yelled at him.  there were several runners in the water I doubt anyone was penalized for this even though they said they would be.

they missed T1 times which I really want to know since i put on my costume there.  i assume i spent 1 to 1.5 minutes longer in T1 than usual. so it was 1:30 - 2:00

My family was at Oly Bike mile 20.  Smile

it seems they were having trouble keeping up with bikes coming in.

there was one spot in the run when I had to yell back to other runners which way to go.  could have used a potter there or the previous group could have corrected before we got that far.

all in all though i thought volunteer-ship was great.

the post race food was awesome thanks to giant eagle and others.

I road from downtown to alum afterthe race to retrieve my car and stuff.

It is more competitive than most local tris.

you only saw one?  I only saw one other swimming near me the entire time

Edited by Jungle Jenn 2011-08-01 2:21 PM
2011-08-01 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus

oh no, I was singling him out.  i mentioned there were several.

BUT what I really want to say is WHY WHY WHY must I make so many grammar and spelling errors and WHY WHY WHY can I not correct them after 30 minutes?

2011-08-01 3:20 PM

User image

Expert

"there was one guy blatantly standing up and dolphin diving his way down the shallow side of the swim.  i yelled at him.  there were several runners in the water I doubt anyone was penalized for this even though they said they would be."

Why would dolphin diving be penalized, considering there is no rules against it.

Article IV Swimming Conduct

4.2 Bottom Contact and Resting

A participant may stand on the bottom or rest by holding an inanimate object such as a buoy, boat, rope or floating object. Excluding the bottom, a participant shall not use any inanimate object to gain forward progress.

2011-08-01 4:46 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus

However, in this race they specifically stated before the race and included in race information that running during the swim was not allowed.

The rule states

4.2. Bottom Contact and Resting.
A participant may stand on the bottom or rest by holding an inanimate object such as a buoy, boat, rope or floating object. Excluding the bottom, a participant shall not use any inanimate object to gain forward progress. A violation of this section shall result in a variable time penalty, unless the head referee in his/her sole discretion determines that
(i)                 the violation was substantial and resulted in an unfair time advantage, or
(ii)                the violation constituted endangerment under section 3.4(1).

Furthermore the bottom contact exclusion I believe is intended because your have to run into the water and out of it.  It does not mean that it is OK to run / dolphin dive instead of swim.

If you stand up to cough, clear your throat, fix your goggles, regain your bearings, etc - fine.  If you go to the shallowest part and start running, you are cheating.  People in this race were even running/diving shallower than the line established for disqualification but there was no enforcement of it.  The stated policy for doing so was disqualification.

Edited by bruehoyt 2011-08-01 4:48 PM
2011-08-01 4:55 PM
in reply to: #3624423

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
bruehoyt - 2011-08-01 5:46 PM

However, in this race they specifically stated before the race and included in race information that running during the swim was not allowed.

The rule states

4.2. Bottom Contact and Resting.
A participant may stand on the bottom or rest by holding an inanimate object such as a buoy, boat, rope or floating object. Excluding the bottom, a participant shall not use any inanimate object to gain forward progress. A violation of this section shall result in a variable time penalty, unless the head referee in his/her sole discretion determines that
(i)                 the violation was substantial and resulted in an unfair time advantage, or
(ii)                the violation constituted endangerment under section 3.4(1).

Furthermore the bottom contact exclusion I believe is intended because your have to run into the water and out of it.  It does not mean that it is OK to run / dolphin dive instead of swim.

If you stand up to cough, clear your throat, fix your goggles, regain your bearings, etc - fine.  If you go to the shallowest part and start running, you are cheating.  People in this race were even running/diving shallower than the line established for disqualification but there was no enforcement of it.  The stated policy for doing so was disqualification.

They do this at Wendy's too....it only hurts themselves by doing this but it is discouraging to see.  It is a great place for a newbie if they did have problems with the swim IF they would just stop and get their bearings...but I think it is so tempting for them to just dolphin dive or stay low in the water and move there arms while walking or heck just stand and be knee deep and walk since they are seeing so many do it.  I honestly only had one person near me swimming on the shallow sides...about 10 plus walking or pretending to swim.

2011-08-01 5:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
My understanding that morning was dq if one went inside of the orange buoy, I had to do some dolphin diving because I swim on the outside by nature for comfort from the chaos. I ran, or swam aground and did so to get back to a swimming depth. Heck I saw some of the pro men doing this as well.
2011-08-01 5:16 PM
in reply to: #3624438

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah

abrezo - 2011-08-01 6:00 PM My understanding that morning was dq if one went inside of the orange buoy, I had to do some dolphin diving because I swim on the outside by nature for comfort from the chaos. I ran, or swam aground and did so to get back to a swimming depth. Heck I saw some of the pro men doing this as well.

I saw the pro mens also doing it and was so surprised!

2011-08-01 6:10 PM
in reply to: #3624423

User image

Expert
bruehoyt - 2011-08-01 5:46 PM

It doesnt state anything in the Athletes Guide about running during the swim and I heard what Adam heard about not cutting the course short and going around the buoys.

2011-08-01 6:20 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
It seems the rules are a bit unclear and confusing in regards to dolphin diving during the race. While I can understand having the buoys closer to shore for the womens sprint on Sat I was disappointed that they weren't placed deeper for Sundays race. The field was too big to fit that many people between the cones and shore, esp with it being 2 laps. I regularly swim at Alum Creek and I know that between marker 3 and 5 it gets very shallow. Even KNOWING that in the mass I swam aground. It was dolphin dive to deeper water or beach myself. Brue- I did see the guy in your wave- he was wearing a light blue kit. I also saw a pro in a skinsuit dolphin diving BOTH laps. (At first I thought he was doing fly!). I would also like to point out that deeper water is much cooler. I do not like to swim in such hot water.
2011-08-01 7:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
I am not a cold water fan by any means, but during the summer I take cooler showers than the water on Sunday. Imky hasn't ever been wetsuit legal, but I hope it's no where near that warm. All in all I would definitely do this race again. I was very conscious of USAT rules but as soon as I got on the bike course it was evident there were no marshalls out there! And much props to shanon and hfp, the amount of volunteers he wad was ridiculous. They must have closed a giant eagle and sent everyone to the race for the morning. On the bike course there seemed to be volenteers at every intersection with the police. Now just finish the race inside the horseshoe and you'll find this race in Triathlete as a must do race! .... Adam
2011-08-02 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Thank you for your question.  I am pasting the actual RULE from the USAT Rulebook for your answer.  Athletes are expected to know the rules when competing in USAT Triathlon venues. The entire rulebook may be downloaded at www.usatriathlon.org.  A participant may use any stroke to propel themselves, and the bottom is acceptable for gaining forward progress. The rule reads "EXCLUDING the bottom".    Good luck with your racing.

Regards:
Bill Touth
USA Triathlon Regional Coordinator of Officials, Mideast
USA Triathlon Certified Race Director
USA Triathlon Race Director Liaison, Mideast Council
2011-08-02 8:48 PM

User image

Self-propulsion is allowed, swimming or walking regardless of what was stated. No help in forward movement other than from self is the rule.

I have not read all the post as of yet, has anyone brought up lack of course restrooms, warm water, no sponges, and no ice. These are just my issues, I personally had a great time, my issues would have made a great race a bit better.

2011-08-02 9:32 PM
in reply to: #3626433

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
eric_gutknecht - 2011-08-02 9:48 PM

Self-propulsion is allowed, swimming or walking regardless of what was stated. No help in forward movement other than from self is the rule.

I have not read all the post as of yet, has anyone brought up lack of course restrooms, warm water, no sponges, and no ice. These are just my issues, I personally had a great time, my issues would have made a great race a bit better.

That's my understanding as well as far as the rules are concerned. I'm also chiming in on the restroom issue, I had to pee the entire run course and for that was an hour. Still loved the race though, I will be back next year. With some changes and maybe more sponsors and money, might be able to get some bigger name pros to come. I loved seeing pip Taylor. .... Adam

2011-08-03 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3621658

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH

I had a great time.  It was my first Oly.  The run was too hot for me and I faded at the end.  I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to get all 3 bags containing my stuff at the end of the race.  I expected to lose something. 

Brue - Not sure how you survived the heat in that outfit.  I saw you after the race, but I was too tired to get off the ground and introduce myself.  Maybe next race. 

2011-08-03 1:38 PM

User image

Granville, OH

This was my first ever Oly, and I loved this race.  Absolutely loved it.  The participant guide was super clear, and there was little to no confusion on my part.  I was a nervous wreck and managed to get all my stuff to and from, and the volunteers were great. I had an awesome experience with the whole thing.

And tridiesel, thanks for clearing up the stuff on the dolphin diving/walking, etc.  I thought that was legal and glad to get an official ref's input on it as well.  Otherwise, I've "cheated" in nearly every race I have ever done.  Cheating averted.  Whew!

2011-08-03 1:56 PM

User image

SWOH
I also hope you guys put this on again next year. I will aim for it to be my first Oly and will hope to recreate the magic of my experience this year.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Giant Eagle Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2