General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The best swim advice I received was.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-07 2:55 PM

Subject: The best swim advice I received was....
to RELAX! I started swimming about 2 months ago in preparation for my first triathlon next weekend (Los Angeles-Olympic). Throughout July, I would suck wind after every 50 yds. The masters coach kept yelling at me to relax my arms and breathing. After a few weeks I got the hang of what he was saying. With this, I was able to really calm down during my laps and control my breathing. If I did start to get winded, all I had to do was relax a little bit more and I could recover while swimming. Before I knew it, I was able to do countless laps!
I also did ocean swims every weekend. That first weekend in July was the first time I had ever been in the ocean past my waist! Now, I look forward to getting out there and swimming in the cool water!
I swam a 1/2 mile last weekend and, dare I say it, it was almost...easy! I'm still nervous as hell for next weekend, but I think I'll pull through!
Good luck to my fellow newbies next weekend!

2005-09-07 3:01 PM
in reply to: #242228

Regular
Subject: RE: The best swim advice I received was....
That's a good tip. I'll have to remember that when I'm among the other competitors. Hopefully I'll see you on Sunday. I'm doing the sprint. If not, good luck to you!
2005-09-07 3:49 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

1) to only inhale when my mouth is out-of-the-water.

2) swim in open-water before my 1st race

3) still waiting for number 3

2005-09-07 3:59 PM
in reply to: #242255

User image

Elite
New City, New York
don't just swim endless laps - join a masters class or better yet do what i do: go in the morning after a class and do what the instructor wrote on the board.

Intervals and various strokes make much stronger swimmers.

Edited by rollinbones 2005-09-07 4:00 PM
2005-09-07 4:12 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
That's great advice and was a lesson I learned the hard way after my first OW race.

I don't even bother running from the beach into the water anymore. I just casually wade in and settle into my own pace. My slow & steady pace still seems to get me to the middle of my age group pack by the finish. And I've expend a lot less energy by not starting and stopping and thrashing around while I hyperventilated and pegged my HR.

While you can't win a race after the swim, you sure can put yourself in a deep hole relative to the rest of the field (don't ask me how I know...).

Mark
2005-09-07 4:56 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
..to pretend I had no muscles in my arms (not hard to pretend!) and make my hips and core power me through

which led to...

• ..don't speed up my stroke, speed up my hip rotation, and let the arms follow

• which led to...

my swimming like a weirdo for about 3 weeks and then reincorporating my arms more deliberately.

Of course, I should add that I was my own coach giving myself this advice after I read an article on BT comparing swimming to golf, so I went back and tried to coach myself in swimming the way I have been working on my golf swing. Totally unconventional (I think) and maybe not good advice, but it was a major break through for me..

2005-09-07 6:18 PM

User image

Expert
    Austin, TX
    JTK - 2005-09-07 1:55 PM

to RELAX!

I'd say that this is good advice for swiming, biking AND running. You'll get more out of your muscles if you relax them and only make them do the necessary work to propel your body.

Just don't relax the hands/arms TOO much on the bike
    2005-09-07 6:46 PM

User image

Master
    Savannah,
    My first tri is on Sat. and I have been practicing something I read on BT......to prepare for an OWS, swim with your eyes closed.....so in the pool, I started only opening my eyes when my head came up to breathe. The first time it was freaky and I could only do it for every 4 breaths.....but today I did it for 600 yards without stopping....no problem. Great advice to help my mental preparation.....so thanks to whomever suggested it....don't recall, but priceless.
    2005-09-07 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
    Halifax
    There is lots of good advice out there. I just went back to the pool not to long ago after running for a few years. As you might guess I near killed myself trying to drive myself in the pool as I would on the road.

Go for efficacy not speed.

That’s the advice that has gotten me down to 20 stokes from 27 in no time at all. I’m so happy with this that I don’t even care how fast I’m going. Its almost like I’m just along for the ride when you really get the efficacy working for you.

Rice
    2005-09-07 10:21 PM
    in reply to: #242348

User image

South Carolina for now.
    Good tip. I have been trying to do this more and I tell myself once I start struggling for air to RELAX and it works. Did this today and I swam more freestyle laps than I ever have. Plus, exhaling all of your air when your head is under helps alot too as stated on this board many times.

southernaquagoddess - 2005-09-07 6:46 PM

My first tri is on Sat. and I have been practicing something I read on BT......to prepare for an OWS, swim with your eyes closed.....so in the pool, I started only opening my eyes when my head came up to breathe. The first time it was freaky and I could only do it for every 4 breaths.....but today I did it for 600 yards without stopping....no problem. Great advice to help my mental preparation.....so thanks to whomever suggested it....don't recall, but priceless.

I just tried this too for the first time today. Was freaky as heck! I only did it for a lap though. I am going to the lake this weekend to do some OWSwimming and prepare myself for my first tri on the 18th. Good luck with your first tri.
    2005-09-08 7:16 AM

User image

Master
    Marietta, Ga

I like the "relax" tip, but I like the "glide" tip even better.  While the swim stroke is never stationary, there is a moment right after I breathe (to the right) and the left arm has finished the pull when I hesitate every so briefly to enjoy the glide. My front right hand is always keeping pressure on the palm, but it moves slowly until the catch.  The left hand has finished its push and is sliding up by the hip that is beginning its roll upward.  The left shoulder is up and out of the water, reducing drag.  It is during this time when I am at my longest in the water (arm out front and pointed toes out the back) and when the body is in its most efficient shape for carving a path through the water.  Its not really a pause, but when the swim stroke slows ever so slightly to enjoy this moment of efficiency, just before cranking up again for another pull.  It is a momentary point of relaxation.

Focusing on this aspect alone will remove two strokes per pool length off of my normal average.

2005-09-08 1:45 PM

User image

Master
    Des Moines, Iowa
    1. Think "long and straight".
    2. Use a nose clip until I got my breathing down (it worked).
    3. Have an experienced swimmer watch me and give advice.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The best swim advice I received was.... Rss Feed