General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When do you become a triathlete? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-09-08 1:48 PM
in reply to: #242373

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: When do you become a triathlete?

rice - 2005-09-07 8:46 PM I been learning how to play the violin for about 15 years now (on and off)… Would I call myself a ‘violinist’? Probably not. But I would say that ‘I play the violin’. I also sing everyday, in the shower. Am I a singer? You bet I am. Rice

Interesting way of looking at it. I've played,studied and at times completely immersed myself in the bass guitar for 30 years. I consider and refer to myself as a 'bassist'. I've been noodling around on guitar for the same period of time and I've developed a respectable facility on the instrument to the point where I could definitely get a gig if I decided I wanted to. I play guitar,  but I do not consider myself a 'guitarist'.

When thinking about the question "am I a triathlete or someone who does triathlons", my usual answer is "screw it. I'm gonna go swim (or bike or run)."

2005-09-08 2:28 PM
in reply to: #242288

User image

chicago, il
I think it's all about self-honesty. I just completed my first sprint tri, but am embarassed when labelled a triathlete because I have simply made a small step onto the bottom rung of the triathlon ladder. I have trained for 4/5 months but know I could have finished (puking, walking and half-drowned perhaps) 4 months ago. I also missed the time I hoped for by 10 minutes, due to being a little lax in training and maybe living in the comfort zone a little.

I know I have something to prove to myself over the winter, and need to make strides forward to get to the point where I know I put it all out there, and I think it is as with many things in life - If you can look yourself in the mirror and say 'I'm doing this to the best of my ability, and deserve the name' then you deserve to be called a triathlete. If not, figure out where the dedication & motivation needs to come from and sort it out.

I'll let you know after Lake Geneva this weekend if I think I'm any closer.

Luke
Rugby player - who somehow got talked into learning to swim again, buy a bike, and do the worst part of rugby stamina training at the end of it all - but for some reason love it.
2005-09-08 3:11 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
I've done a number of triathlons but still have a hard time calling myself a "triathlete". I'm always a person who does triathlons or who likes doing triathlons.
But I do play hockey and consider myself a "hockey player". Go figure.
I guess if you do it, then you can call yourself a "player" or "triathlete". I'm not a runner either. I'm a stroller. :-)
2005-09-08 3:30 PM
in reply to: #242353

User image

Veteran
Lansdale, PA
I totally agree about the t-shirt rule (except I use the jersey rule). And if that's the case, I'm a triathlete! Wow, cool......
2005-09-08 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Traveling
I think its in the heart. I trained like hell for 7 months through a really cold winter to do a Oly. I finished (despite what turned out to be a fractured ankle) and I was a triathlete. Now I took a long break (no pun intended) and let all my training slide. I would not feel comfortable calling myself a triathlete today.

However, if you take pride in something, work hard and compete then by all means call your self a triathlete and feed off the positive energy. If instead you like a goal then pick any one of the definitions cited and call yourself a triathlete when you hit the goal. To me its a way of life. And I am hereby rejoining the club... off to the track hope the grandmas don't pass me....
2005-09-08 6:27 PM

User image

Regular
You're not putting the term professional in front of triathlete, so what's the problem? I would draw the line at the shortest recognized race distance for a triathlon to call yourself a triathlete, but is someone who runs 5 miles three times a week not a runner because their neighbor runs 15 miles three times a week? If you want to go that route, then people who complete iron distance races aren't triathletes either because there are people who have done double iron distances. If you are actively engaged in training for a triathlon you are a triathlete. If you did a triathlon and you're sitting on your arse not doing anything now....then you were a triathlete.

2005-09-08 6:51 PM

Elite Veteran
Well said, Nukem.
2005-09-08 7:46 PM
in reply to: #242993

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

I have no problem with anyone calling themselves a triathlete, I believe its a very personal thing and is better left to individual interpretation.  However, here are the standards I apply to myself:

• I love woodworking (cabinetry and furniture), but I'm not a carpenter
  • I do nearly all of the work on my autos and have restored a few vintage cars, but I'm not a mechanic
  • I love to cook and replicate great dishes I get in restaurants, but I'm not a chef
  • I spend a lot of time looking through my telescope at the night skies, but I'm not an astronomer.
  • I am severely addicted to triathlons, now in my second season of races with an Ironman staring me in the face in 2 months, but I am not a triathlete.  I train for triathlons and leave the "triathlete" designation for the folks to strive to make a living at the sport or who compete at an elite level.
2005-09-08 8:19 PM

Online or Offline

snake111 - 2005-09-07 6:03 PM  Like a pilot, you can read books, but until you fly a plane your not a pilot.

Mmmmmmmmmmm......no.

One is not a pilot just because they flew a plane. You are a pilot after logging a government  appointed minimium number of classroom and flying hours,  then passing a checkride for at least a Private Pilot Certificate, subsequently being issued an FAA (or in your case CAA) pilot certificate (or license).

Your reasoning is the same as hers. If by merely handling an aircraft in flight ("flying" ) makes you a pilot, then if you can swim, bike, and run then you are a triathlete!

YOU GO DUTCH!

I never considered myself a triathlete til I completed my first triathlon.

Edited by TypeA Girl Pilot 2005-09-08 8:19 PM
2005-09-08 8:24 PM
in reply to: #242906

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

Miss_Bethy - 2005-09-08 12:30 PM I totally agree about the t-shirt rule (except I use the jersey rule). And if that's the case, I'm a triathlete! Wow, cool......

I can't remember where I saw it, but there was a thread/webpage about what T-shirt/jersey to wear to a race....  Basically don't wear a 5 k fun run to a 10K RACE or a 10k race to a Marathon.  Same thing applies to Triathlons.

2005-09-08 8:34 PM
in reply to: #242353

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
southwestmba - 2005-09-07 6:11 PMTriathlon 101 by John Mora has a section with the unwritten rules of the sport, including the T-shirt rule(if you don't finish the race you can't wear the shirt). One of these "rules" is the "license to call yourself a triathlete rule." The rules stipulates you must compete in one triathlon a year in order to refer to yourself as a triathlete (of course if your friends can refer to as whatever they see fit since they are not bound by the rule). No matter how much swimming, running, and biking you do in training you must prove your mettle on the race course once every 365 days to retain that license. There is one notable exception to this rule "the lifetime Ironman license" which states that anyone who completes an Iron distance triathlon you are here by awarded the right to call yourself an triathlete even if you never get off the couch again.
Thank you for posting that....Glad I read through the thread before running to get my Triathlon 101 book.....I would agree with those unwritten rules.

2005-09-08 8:40 PM

Elite Veteran
Lots of thoughtful posts. I really don't care anymore since swimming, biking and running is sort of what I do. I don't really care what you call me.

With respect to T-shirts, I do agree that you shouldn't wear one advertising an event you didn't compete in, but I wasn't aware of the 'lesser race' protocol. I sorta grab something and show up. Apparently I have new choices to contemplate.

I think we're way overthinking this. Swim, bike and run. Have fun. Sounds like a triathlete to me.
2005-09-08 8:44 PM
in reply to: #243050

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

lynda - 2005-09-08 5:40 PM Lots of thoughtful posts. I really don't care anymore since swimming, biking and running is sort of what I do. I don't really care what you call me. With respect to T-shirts, I do agree that you shouldn't wear one advertising an event you didn't compete in, but I wasn't aware of the 'lesser race' protocol. I sorta grab something and show up. Apparently I have new choices to contemplate. I think we're way overthinking this. Swim, bike and run. Have fun. Sounds like a triathlete to me.

I don't think it's a hard and fast rule.  Kinda coolness type thing.  It was just an interesting thread to read...(need to google it)

2005-09-08 10:20 PM

Veteran
The Emerald City

I don't really call myself a triathlete, but someone who trains for triathlons. 

However, here's a puzzling thought...

A person who runs regularly can be called a runner.

A person who swims regularly can be called a swimmer.

Same thing for bike riders... you're  a biker or cyclist.

So if we do all three regularly, why are we not called triathletes.  Or do we call ourselves swimmer- biker- runners?

How about triathlon-er?  Triathloner!  That sounds about right.

Edited by kepola 2005-09-08 10:34 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When do you become a triathlete? Rss Feed  

of 2