General Discussion Race Reports! » Gravenhurst Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gravenhurst Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Gravenhurst, Ontario
Canada
MultiSport Canada Inc.
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 289/289
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 36/36
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early—but not early enough. Panicked, got my stuff together, left, grabbed a latte and drove really fast to the event. Quick bathroom break in Gravenhurst, and registered and tried to get everything ready in time. I was running pretty badly behind.
Event warmup:

Ran to the boat before it left, holding my wetsuit and trying not to trip. Barefoot running. About 500m. This was not good for me at all. When we dropped in the water off the boat I kinda hung around a while. My stomach wasn't too happy with me (for the record, DON'T eat a huge bowl of pasta the night before the event).
Swim
  • 30m 16s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

I'm pretty happy with my performance in this swim. That put me in the 36th percentile, which is FAR better than I did last year with my 56th (which I was ecstatic about at the time). My navigation was better than last year, but I'm not sure really... the course was either longer, or all of us navigated badly. I was comparing other peoples' times compared to their other events, and they all seemed to be 10s/100m off from their other times. So I'll take a equivalent to 1:50 any day!
What would you do differently?:

Not a whole lot. I felt really good and rested enough to be able to ride well after. Oh yeah, but maybe I'd bring my GPS.
Transition 1
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

Meh. I took my time. I knew I wasn't going to finish the race, so I hung out a bit, filled my bottle with water, made sure my foot brace was secure. Really, it was quite leasurely.

In this circumstance, nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 48s
  • 40 kms
  • 30.08 km/hr
Comments:

I was feeling a little tired. It was a pretty fun course, but it was hard to maintain the awesome pace I had last year, so I didn't. My game was to count how many people were ahead of me in the race. I counted 98 by the end, but of course since I was in the first wave, there were lots of people ahead of me (39 actually).

I'm surprised my heart rate was so high. I don't really get why that has been happening this year (next race too). Either way it's nice to know I can maintain a high HR like that and not die. Definitely a huge benefit.

Not sure really. Not that it was a particularly awesome race, but it worked out. I could feel pain in my calf (tib post) about 30k in, and that kinda bothered me. But on the positive side it happened in the other leg too. Ummm, at least I think that's positive.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 10 kms
  •  min/km
Post race
Warm down:

Stopped riding, pulled in. It was chill.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being able to run. And limited bike training this year

Event comments:

Another great race as always.

Last updated: 2011-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:16 | 1500 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/36
Overall: 75/289
Performance: Good
Suit: Nineteen Frequency
Course: We got dropped off from a boat, and we had to swim in a J and back to shore.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:11
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:19:48 | 40 kms | 30.08 km/hr
Age Group: 24/36
Overall: 137/289
Performance: Average
Heart rate of 170!!!
Wind: Little
Course: A there and back course. First 16k were rolling hills, next 8 were flat, and then back to the rollers.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 10 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 36/36
Overall: 289/289
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-24 5:35 PM

User image

Toronto, ON
Subject: Gravenhurst Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gravenhurst Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed