United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m 7s
Overall Rank = 142/298
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 5/10
Pre-race routine:

Up @ 4:30, was ready to head out by 4:45. Got to Mile High at 5:45. I was glad to see all the Ambassadors hanging out, so I joined them. Got my T2 setup and headed over on the bus to T1. Had plenty of time to set everything up perfectly. I did a good job planning this one out.
Event warmup:

It was pretty crowded so I couldn't do much. Stretched and managed to run a bit. I did manage to eat a banana and a yogurt, this helped a ton. Got ready to race- I was in Clydes/Athena and we were the 5th group out.
Swim
  • 22m 48s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim. I could have pushed more but I was in the wave behind all the women. I caught up to the slowest ones in the first 500 yards and I didn't want to be a jerk and throw my weight around. I still managed to jab some woman in the tush with my hand- the water was wicked cloudy. She called me a F&*&*r... I got over it.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, this was good.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Huge transition area and a long run to get to the bike course. This was pretty good. I'll take it.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 33s
  • 24.9 miles
  • 20.31 mile/hr
Comments:

First issue of the day. I dropped my water bottle on the 2nd bike loop, and there's only one aid station which I already passed. I was pissed at myself. Otherwise I pulled off a great bike- I rode as hard as I could and stayed aero the whole time. I felt awesome on this. Glad I decided to use the 12-24 cassette today... bought myself some extra speed.

Bring an extra water bottle.
Transition 2
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

I'm surprised this took so long. 2 things probably slowed me down: I stopped to load myself with sunscreen, and 2- I needed to drink a lot before starting the run. Not having any water the last 30 minutes on the bike could have ruined the run big time.

Nothing, it was fine.
Run
  • 1h 04m 7s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Icy towels rock. Powerade not so much. I really am happy with this run. I was fluid and steady. I was doing about 9:30 miles until the heat caught up with me. I was feeling great, although I did puke a little bit after drinking the powerade. Still probably the best effort I've ever had on a run in an Olympic.

Skip the Powerade. Otherwise I did great for myself.
Post race
Warm down:

Kiddie pools filled with ice? Oh yeah!!!!!!!!!! So freaking refreshing- I LOVED this. Skipped the food, it was not very appetizing. Met up with the Altitude M.C. folks and some of the Ambassadors and had a fun rest of the morning.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I did pretty darn well today. It's amazing to me the difference in mental clarity I have now vs. what I had a month ago. Had I done this race before the divorce, it would not have been as good. I'm very pleased with this race.

Event comments:

Post-race party tonight @ Lodo's was awesome. I'm so happy I got to be a part of this inaugural event. I made lots of new friends during this whole ambassador experience. Can't wait till next year- even in Chicago I want to be a part of this. My only suggestions for things to change- add an aid station at the west end of the bike course, skip the fancy shuttles to Sloans from Mile High, school buses work well. Last thing to say- this was a great event and I really hope anyone reading this who lives in Colorado will try this race out. It's a chance for us to show off this city, and Chris did a fantastic job. Volunteers were awesome today too! Definitely a memorable experience.

Last updated: 2011-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:48 | 1640 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 0/298
Performance: Good
Suit: Racesuit/ No wetsuit
Course: Kind of a weird shape given the size of the lake. It was an out, to the left, then out again, then back in. No word to describe this shape :)
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:56
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:13:33 | 24.9 miles | 20.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/10
Wind: None
Course: Out from Sloans Lake on to Sheridan, down to Colfax. Colfax out to who-knows-where in Lakewood. 2 loops of this, then the last 5 miles were around the south side of the stadium and down 8th Ave.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:04:07 | 06.2 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/10
Course: Around Mile High, out to the Platte River Trail north, Confluence Park to Cherry Creek Trail, then back. Nice, flat, and fast route.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-25 12:48 AM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: The Denver Triathlon

2011-07-25 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3612835

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: The Denver Triathlon
Sounds like a fun race Matt!  I thought about doing this one but I was hesitant because of Sloans Lake.  Growing up in the area I have a really nasty impression of that lake.  Maybe I should get over it.  That woman you bumbed is a foul mouth *&%#!    fast swim...even for not pushing it.  Nice job!
2011-07-25 9:06 PM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Nice race bubba!  Congratulations on a big PR, that's awesome!!
2011-07-26 12:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
Great race Matt!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Denver Triathlon Rss Feed