Japan Triathlon Union
30C / 86F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 44m 50s
Overall Rank = 65/183
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 14/48
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 though the alarm was set for 5:30. Ate my usual pre-race bfast of yogurt drink, banana, coffee and bread (this is a sweetened bread they sell in the convenience stores here in Japan - easy to eat, not too sweet and lots of carbs).
Event warmup:

I did about 10 minutes on the bike, but decided not to run as it was already getting hot. Spent as much time as I could in the water before the start and probably logged about 400 meters of warmup.
Swim
  • 34m
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

I swam with my head out of the water for all but the last 300 meters or so and I felt really comfortable. That allowed me to stay on course, avoid clusters of people and very smoothly navigate the buoys. I also was able to draft off of a couple different swimmers for at least 60% of the course.
What would you do differently?:

Just get better at swimming (and I have soooo much room for improvement here). My strategy, given my current level, worked really well, but it is not an efficient stroke.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

T1 time is estimated. This was probably the best T1 I've done especially considering this includes about 150 meters of jog from the beach. My wet suit came off really quickly and socks/shoes/helmet/glasses went on quickly. It helped that the mount point was like 25 meters away from my transition spot.

run faster from the water - I had the energy, but just took my time.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 15s
  • 34.9 kms
  • 29.81 km/hr
Comments:

I was very happy with my ride. I pushed it pretty hard the whole way and kept my heart rate at about 140 (guessing this is high zone 3 or low zone 4 for me based on RPE). 56/183 for the bike leg is by far my best race performance. Of course, the level of the other participants may be a factor, but I'm can't really tell.

Ride more, ride more and ride more.
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

I'm still not sure how I did it, but I left my transition spot with my running cap in my hand. When I crossed over into the run course and flipped my hat onto my head, I realized.....you bonehead, your forgot to take off your helmet. I turned around and went back to my spot to leave my helmet. I'm sure that cost me at least a minute. I don't think I'll ever make that mistake again.

rack the bike, take the helmet off and then reach for my run stuff.
Run
  • 56m 30s
  • 10.25 kms
  • 05m 31s  min/km
Comments:

I started out a little fast (5:00 per km pace or so) and after about 500 meters made a conscious effort to slow down and match my pace to a guy in front of me. I purposely kept it pretty easy to avoid overheating. I walked each aid station long enough to take a drink a mouthful or two of water and then dump the ice water into my hat. I was able to trap a little ice under the hat each time and that helped. At about the 7km point I decided I had enough gas to pick up the pace. I ended up doing 5:25 per km for the last 3kms. In retrospect, I think I could have held that pace for the whole course (and I would love to have held the 5 minute/km pace).

Try picking up the pace at the halfway point and see if I can hold it.
Post race
Warm down:

I drank 3-4 glasses of ice water and ate several pieces of watermelon and orange. I walked around a little while waiting for my racing buddy to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

temperature and humidity were factors. I know I can improve my times in all 3 events on this course if I keep my training consistent. I would love to come back next year and knock 15 minutes off my time, i.e., go sub 2:30.

Event comments:

The race was well organized and run. They have been doing the race for 26 years now and it is probably one of the oldest in Japan. They really should break down and get some timing chips. All times were logged by hand and the race results were not posted until a week after the race.

Last updated: 2011-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:00 | 1500 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/48
Overall: 66/183
Performance: Good
Suit: De Soto 2 piece
Course: The course is behind a fairly significant breakwater and the water is pretty calm. The course is 2 laps around what is supposed to be a 750 meter triangle and there is no walk out onto the beach between the laps (all the other Olys I've done here had a walk point that helped me catch my wind). I am pretty sure that the course is long. The fastest swimmer was out of the water in 26 minutes (that includes T1 time and about 150 meters from the water to T1). My 34 minutes put me at 65/183 and I was quite happy with that.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 24C / 75F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:10:15 | 34.9 kms | 29.81 km/hr
Age Group: 13/48
Overall: 56/183
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The course runs from the beach to the Route 7/Route 345 junction. It then runs out Route 345 for about 7km with a very gradual slope up, turnaround and come back to Route 7, turnaround and do that whole loop again. Unfortunately, there was a pretty decent headwind on the return leg. With no wind, speeds would have easily hit and held 40-45 km/hr. The other fun part of the course is about 1.5 km from the start. You have to dismount and walk your bike down about 10 stairs. There is a ramp for bikes alongside the stairs. Same trick in reverse on the way back to T2. Nice trick with bike shoes on.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:56:30 | 10.25 kms | 05m 31s  min/km
Age Group: 20/48
Overall: 86/183
Performance: Average
Course: Course runs north up route 7 for a little over 5km and then comes back over the same ground.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-25 5:22 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Subject: Atsumi Triathlon

2011-07-25 5:19 PM
in reply to: #3612859

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: RE: Atsumi Triathlon
Ah, the old running out of T2 with the bike helmet on trick! You are right, you'll probably never do that again! Sounds like you had a terrific race in every aspect! Good job, Dan!
2011-07-25 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3612859

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Atsumi Triathlon
haha,  helmet on.  love it!  awesome job man!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Atsumi Triathlon Rss Feed