Cooper Fitness Center at Craig Ranch
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 16s
Overall Rank = 288/512
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Broke the cardinal rule of Tri's.....did something new on raceday. I got up and ate a Clif Bar (opposed to my normal Powerbar), 16oz of water, and a 5-Hour energy.....which helped a lot. The "something new" for the race did not effect me.
Event warmup:

Did a stretch or two, talked to Rhetts, saw my pastor who was doing the race, talked to some others that I knew before the swim start
Swim
  • 06m 34s
  • 350 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not a horrible swim for my lack of training. I did Galveston 70.3 in April and swim a total of 250m on June 1st for my prep. I was really feeling it toward the 300m mark. Passed 6 swimmers which helped out mentally during the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Train....I consider myself a decent-to-good swimmer but lack of training played a big part in the time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Had a decent rack location. As I exited the water, my wife, daughter and neighbors were right there. After the race, my wife commented "you didn't look good coming out the water" (see my race comments - haha)

Nothing....easy
Bike
  • 41m 7s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.51 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt okay on the bike for the race....again....lack of training. The course wasn't as technical as in years past, but had an additional hill. Got passed by a lot of good riders. Biking has never been my strong point but have focused more on it (well....prior to Galveston). My race pics look like I know what I was doing and didn't look half bad.

Again....train a little more leading up to the race. I signed up for this race a few weeks after Galveston to have a goal to continue training....but that didn't work out as planned.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Another decent transition. Saw my crew again and got a kiss from my daughter (and she wanted a drink from my water and to throw the cup away....is this considered outside assistance???? - haha).

Not much.....I did find myself trying to put on my race belt after putting on my visor...and realized I was just standing in front of my bike. I usually just slip the shoes on and put on visor and blet while running....don't know why I decided that standing at the rack and putting that on was a great idea
Run
  • 33m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Bwaahhaahaaahaaa.....this is where my lack of training hit me. First 1/2 mile, I felt okay and thought....I can keep this up. Then, my mind took over and I started walking. Saw Rhetts again and thought "I should pace with him"....that lasted about 300m. I walked close to a mile of the entire run. After the first mile marker, my legs opened up and I was feeling better....but that was short lived too. I can blame some of it on the heat, but that's just a small portion of it. Again....training.

Train, train, train....maybe actually run more than 10 miles in 2 and a half months. A brick probably would have helped out too.
Post race
Warm down:

Found my crew, saw Rhetts and his crew....found my other friends who were waiting on their son to finish, chatted with others.....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

If you haven't seen the theme today, then do back and re-read.....

Event comments:

Good race, again.....the swim start was a HUGE cluster. No one to control who was going into the water based on their numbers. (I'm not talking about sandbaggers or beginners putting 3:00 as their swimtime....just people with no regard to the numbering system). I let the RD know about this. I may do the race in October here....but if that issue isn't corrected at that race, this may be my last time doing it. Other than that....can't complain. good race, support, volunteers, and post-race.

Last updated: 2011-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:34 | 350 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/512
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:07 | 12 miles | 17.51 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:31 | 03.11 miles | 10m 47s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-07-25 8:41 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon

2011-07-25 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3613075

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
Subject: RE: Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon

we may have seen each other and didn't know it as I remember talking to someone who didn't train much since Galveston.

Regarding the race - they did allow people to move up and down if they didn't put the right estimate in.  They did that last year but it definitely look more out of control this year.  I was seeded 189 and was 182nd overall in the swim so I was pretty accurate with my estimate  

My biggest problem was how they assigned racks.  People who were seeded 300 and up had better racks than people who were in the 150's (had to make a left turn out of the pool, then another right turn to get to bike out). I would've had a better rack assignment if I had a 500+ number...I found it really strange that my T1/T2 times were slower than last year - even when I didn't know what I was doing and had to take my Garmin off my bike then I realized I had to run quite a bit more, including 2 turns.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cooper Summer Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed