General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Princeton Junction, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 18m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Spent Saturday morning at the race sight watching and supporting some friends and Ryan's Quest members in the sprint. It was ridiculously hot and spent most of the time finding and staying in shade with Nicole. She wanted to come as my Sister In Law was racing. We kept cool by visiting the misting tent quite often. Race morning I got up at 5, cleaned up and drank a little and double checked everything I had packed the night before and drove the 5 minutes over to the race. I always come in to the one parking lot the back way so I don't get caught in all the race traffic coming into the park on the one access road. Was able to park about 20 cars from the beginning so not a long walk to transition as it was 83 degrees at 6:00 and very, very humid! Got body marked and found my rack and they were only doing 5 bikes per rack so plenty of room to spread out and not feel crushed by other racers. Got my spot all set up and saw Jay across the aisle so waited for him to finish and we went over to the Ryan's Quest tent to relax and eat/hydrate especially since I was already sweating pretty hard from just standing there. Got to the tent and hung out and ate my bagel and some peanuts I brought and drank a lot of fluids to try and keep up.
Event warmup:

Was in the next to last wave so went over to the swim start around 7 and did a few 50 yard out and back swims just to loosen up and cool off a bit. The water didn't do much for cooling off as it was 88 degrees! After that waited for the national anthem and then back to the RQ tent for about 25 minutes to sit down and relax out of the sun. Did another 50 yard out and back once back at the swim start and then only had 5 minutes to go until we needed to get into the water.
Swim
  • 44m 7s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

My goal in the swim was to maintain a good heart rate while not having to stop and gather myself at all. I have no doubt I can swim the difference but have had a hard time at some races getting through a mental barrier. Started off to the back right and after about 100 yards I noticed that no one was swimming on the buoy line so I move left some and was just doing my thing. It felt like it was going just as I hoped as I was counting my strokes to 100 to keep my mind focused on something other than 1500M. I knew I'd get caught by folks in the wave behind me so that didn't bother me much and just kept going and made good turns around the buoys and even found a nice cool patch of water around the first turn. I seemed to be swimming very straight so stopped sighting as much and would only look up everyone 20 strokes or so. Finally got to the only right hand turn back to shore and tried to just stay calm and focused so I could run all the way up and through transition. Got up to get out of the water and was somewhat suprised and disappointed at the time on my watch as I really expected to see something more like 37/38 minutes. Oh well I proved to myself that the distance is not the thing any more so I should just go ahead and swim harder throughout so I can start picking up some time.
What would you do differently?:

Swim harder as it was way to easy an effort for a race. Also going to take some lessons for form as mine is just killing me.
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

Very good T1 for me as I ran up the little grass hill and into transition. My rack was the 6th closest to the swim so not far to run. Sat down, put on bike shoes (no socks) and stuffed a gel and some sports beans in my Tri top. I ended up being in the top 25% for T1 so happy with the effort especially since I had to run a solid 2/10th's of a mile with my bike prior to the mount line.

Not much. I could still move quicker with getting my shoes on but I'm not going to do much better time wise in an event this big with such a long transition area.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 16s
  • 25.5 miles
  • 18.37 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew with my overall lack of bike fitness I wasn't going to be able to push this consistently but I wanted to take advantage of the fast parts of the course and push hard on them. I could feel the heat/humidity pretty much right away as the sweat just started pouring off of me it seemed right away. Being in the next to last wave I was instantly being passed by the faster riders on their second lap. I was able to start picking off some of the riders from the wave in front of me (F 40 - 44) and some of them in my wave but all in all for a race with 1300 people there wasn't much traffic on the bike. I started drinking my fluids about 1/2 way through the first lap as I could feel the heat starting to do some damage. Right before the end of the first loop I caught up to my friend Jared who wants to finish ahead of me so bad so I wanted to pass him so that he wouldn't want to try and follow so I hammered for all I was worth for about 3 to 5 minutes and dropped him far back. From there on out I stayed mostly in cruise mode and would go harder periodically when I felt like it would be beneficial. Took a gel about 20 minutes before the end of the bike so I'd have some nutrition going into the run. Turned back into the park and headed for T2. That ride on the way back in just always seems so long and slow to me so I tried to stay focused and not take it easy as I've had a habit of doing in the past. Stayed strong right up to the dismount line and had a good dismount from the bike. Took a second to get my legs under me and then jogged on into transition.

Fairly obvious that more than half my miles on the bike this year are in races which isn't a good thing so just find time to train. Easier said then done unfortunately.
Transition 2
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Took longer here as I could feel the effects from the bike and the heat so finished the gatorade I had on the bike and ate some sports beans. Decided to put on socks with the heat and I knew they were going to have open fire hoses out on the course so my shoes would be wet and wanted socks to block any blister possibilities.

Not too much as I made a conscious decision to take my time as I knew the run was going to suck so wanted to be prepared as possible.
Run
  • 1h 05m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out on the run under overcast skies and felt ok hitting mile one at 8:35. Right after that the sun came out for basically the rest of the time and it was just hot and humid. I then went to mostly running but decided to walk any of the inclines to save my hammies and the aid stations so I could take advantage of the water, heed, ice towels, ice packs, hoses, etc. Was drinking like a fish (3 or 4 cups of water everytime) but I could just feel the sweat pouring out of me and if I ran for 5 minutes I could feel myself getting a bit wobbly. Whenever I felt this I would take a walk break and I would hold on to the ice packs and rub them over my face/head to try and keep me going. The only person I saw on the run not struggling was the relay runner for the Ryan's Quest team as she was flat out flying but everyone else had the same why am I doing this to myself look! Got to mile 3 and was finally approaching the transition/finish area and that always gives you a boost as you can't walk past all the people there cheering you on so I was able to run through that to the next aid station. From there on out I would take a walk break whenever I felt not so good (too often unfortunatley) and then run when I could. The fire house at about 4.5 miles was just awesome so I stood there for a minute or two just soaking in the cool water and trying to lower my core temp. Decided at mile 5 I'd run the rest of the way in even if it was sometimes a slow jog. At mile 6 some of the finishers were there giving us encouragement that only 2 more turns than the chute so started to run hard and the little uphill started to grab my hamstring so slowed down until I hit the grass and then was able to run it in strong all by myself in the chute.

Couple things. I really need to lost 15 lbs if I really want to get better at this sport and two I need to figure out a good way to keep myself hydrated and with enough electrolytes to not cramp given how much I sweat and how hot this race usually is.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water bottle (warm - blech!) and headed right to the misting tent. Stood in their for a minute or two which felt great but almost an hour after the race I was still sweating. Found Jay who had a great race and we helped ourselve to some water that was in a cooler full of ice that was nice and cold. From there just kind of walked around to cool down the muscles and grabbed a few choco chip cookies and a pepsi.

When I got home I weighed myself and I was down 8 lbs from the race and that included drinking 40 oz's on the bike, about 30 cups of water/heed on the run, 2 bottles of war and a pepsi after the race. I'm going to have to do something different with my nutrition to help with my salt/water retention in the future so that I can push myself for better run times.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, heat/humidity, verge of cramping.

Event comments:

What can you say Larry and Michelle put on a top notch event and do everything they can to help you succeed given the heat. I already can't wait (can't believe I'm saying this since so close to yesterday's pain!) to come back next year with a goal of under 3 hours.

Last updated: 2010-12-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:07 | 1640 yards | 02m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Kind of a backwards capital R.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:58
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:16 | 25.5 miles | 18.37 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: 2 loops of flat local roads.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:05:47 | 06.21 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %4.25
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-25 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2011-07-26 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3613723

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Nice race
2011-07-26 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3613723

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance
See, you really are a rock star! You did awesome considering the heat and your sporadic training
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed