General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri shorts for big butts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-25 3:58 PM

User image

SWOH
Subject: Tri shorts for big butts
I tried on some women's Pearl Izumi size L tri shorts at the bike shop the other day and I could barely get them on all the way. My problem is that I have a bubble butt and that tri pad just doesn't want to stretch where it needs to. They didn't have a size XL to try. Are there any brands that are cut better for pear-shaped Athenas? I have no problem going out of the house in head to toe Spandex, but lord, these things were bad.

2011-07-26 7:04 PM
in reply to: #3614117

Subject: RE: Tri shorts for big butts

I recommend Skirt Sports tri shorts.  I have the ones with an 8" inseam.  They're comfy, soft and stretchy, and they don't chafe at all.  I got them in XL and they're true to size, maybe even a little big (unlike most triathlon clothing).  I wear sz 14 pants, as a reference.   I've had them for a year and they've held up really well. 

THe only thing is, they do look a little bit like a diaper because of where the seams are located.  But this also keeps the seams from rubbing during the bike ride! 

2011-07-27 11:19 AM

User image

Master
PNW

Those PI tri shorts are the WORST for pear shaped ladies!  It's weird too because their bike shorts generally work pretty well for lower body curves.

I have had good luck with DeSoto Carrera shorts (and the capri) or with Tyr tri shorts.  Every other pair I tried was either supremely unflattering in the leg or they pulled down on the lower back due to the junk in my trunk.  (I have not tried skirt sports shorts - so those may be good, too)

2011-07-28 9:56 AM

User image

SWOH
Oh man, I didn't even think about plumber butt on the bike... LOL! I'm a tall Athena, so shirts like to pull up the same time as the pants are getting pulled down. Thanks ladies. I will see if I can find either of these brands in local stores to try them out. After that experience with the Pearl Izumis, I'm terrified of buying a pair without trying them on.
2011-08-02 1:41 PM

User image

I am a huge fan of SkirtSports skirts, so thought I'd give their tri shorts a try.  I wore them today for the first time & LOVED them.  They were so freaking awesome!  I want more.  LOL  I have a rather round derriere myself and these fit awesome.  I got the L I think (I'm a 14-16 in jeans) in the 8 inch style.

FYI - www.trisports.com had them cheaper than www.skirtsports.com last I knew.

2011-08-02 10:38 PM

User image

SWOH
ch718--awesome, thank you so much. I just checked out the website and I love that those shorts come in an 8-inch length. Is the seaming on the front weird at all? It kind of has a weird diaper shape and I worry I'd bulge in all the wrong places, lol.

2011-08-03 1:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Central France

I too am a tall Athena - 5'10/160+lbs with big hips. I swear all my weight is in my hips and butt!! Laughing

I bought Zoot 8-inch TriFit shorts (size L) from Team Estrogen. One of the reviews said they were flattering on larger frames so that decided me. They do pull a bit low while riding but they won't give you plumber butt - you just might get a sunburn where your shirt pulls up - I have a permanent brown oval on my lower back in the summer!

In any case, I find them comfortable, flattering and somewhat similar to compression shorts in the support they offer.

2011-08-03 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Central France

OK - I'm going to take back some of the nice things I said about my Zoot TriFit shorts.

They do ride LOW. And if you want to pull them up a bit, well that's fine, they'll pretty much stay up if you tie the drawstring, however ... and this is a big HOWEVER ...

They become even more see through than they already are! Yes, I did the bend over test (I was tying my shoe and caught a glimpse of my butt in the mirror, light shining right on it). Well, these shorts are very see through if you stretch them too much. 

OK, they dry quick, they are comfortable, the chamois pad doesn't hold water, but you can see my cra.. if I stretch them too much. Since I don't have money to get new ones these will have to do on race day. But I'm wondering if I should paint my butt black for race day Surprised to limit what is shown !!

2011-08-04 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3626548

User image

triforce - 2011-08-02 11:38 PM ch718--awesome, thank you so much. I just checked out the website and I love that those shorts come in an 8-inch length. Is the seaming on the front weird at all? It kind of has a weird diaper shape and I worry I'd bulge in all the wrong places, lol.

I don't think it is.  But it's my first pr of tri shorts, so maybe I just don't know any better?  LOL  Really though, they have been fine so far.  Nicole DeBoom is the founder of the company and I think she still has a fair amount of input on the designs, especially for tri wear (she's an IM Champion).  Anyway, I find the seaming flattering actually, but I was concerned about highlighting the outside of my thighs with bright pink or purple, so I got black.  Plus it matches the top I got (the black vinyl print tri top).  :-)

2011-08-04 11:21 PM

New user
Indio, CA
If you don't mind wearing men's shorts, aerotechdesigns.com has some men's stuff that goes up to at least a 3XL. I think they may have something even bigger.  I'm a HEAVY chica at 270 lbs and I got a pair that's very comfortable.
2011-08-05 8:58 AM

User image

SWOH
I always figured men's shorts would be worse because I carry my weight where men don't (thighs/butt) and am smallest where men get big (waist). But it might be worth a try. And I will know to stay away from those see-through Zoots... Someone riding behind me already gets enough booty to look at!

2011-08-09 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3630298

User image

Expert
Champaign Area, IL

triforce - 2011-08-05 8:58 AM I always figured men's shorts would be worse because I carry my weight where men don't (thighs/butt) and am smallest where men get big (waist). But it might be worth a try. And I will know to stay away from those see-through Zoots... Someone riding behind me already gets enough booty to look at!

nice pace booty

2011-08-10 12:28 PM

User image

FYI - Skirtsports has grey/white/pink tri shorts on sale right now %50 off.  Only 5" length though, no 8".  $27.50

I'm not sure about grey and they are out of size L, so I'm not ordering them.  I do love my black ones though in the 8" length.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri shorts for big butts Rss Feed