General Discussion Race Reports! » Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series #2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series #2 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Indianapolis, Indiana
United States
Tuxedo Brothers
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 18s
Overall Rank = 512/574
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 30/32
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4:30. Diet Coke, English muffin and about a cup of skim milk. Sipped water and G2 until race time- I had hydrated the previous couple of days which I think helped. Based on some of the entries I’ve read on BT, I did a 5 Hour Energy drink about 10 minutes before the race started- the jury is out if that helped or not. Gave myself plenty of time to set up my transition- too much time (see bike section below). Walked through the transition to make sure I knew where I was going and scoped out the swim.
Event warmup:

Swam about 50 meters in the warm-up- not much need to get warm- heat index was in the mid-90’s at race start.
Swim
  • 11m 8s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first open water race- I’ve done three pool Sprints before. The water was very warm to the point of being hot- they said it was 84 degrees. It’s a two right turn race – as I discovered the bad news is I breathe on my left. I was in the groove on my way to the first buoy. I didn’t experience much traffic, until one of the kayaks alerted me that I was WAY off course- I seemed to be swimming to Illinois for some reason. Needless to say, the swim felt a lot longer than 500 meters because I made it a lot longer than 500 meters.
What would you do differently?:

Practice bilateral breathing, more in open water, and oh yeah, do a better job sighting!
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

I pretty much walked from the end of the swim to my bike trying to protect a foot that is finally getting over PF. I thought it went okay. As a matter of fact, it was my fasted T1 ever, but still slow compared to others.
Bike
  • 39m 15s
  • 10 miles
  • 15.29 mile/hr
Comments:

The day before the event, I replaced my back tire. My trainer rides had really worn it down. No problem changing it, and I even went out for a couple of mile check-out ride the evening before- all was good. For some unknown reason, the magnet for the cadence sensor didn’t look right when I setting up race morning. So, in my infinite wisdom, I proceeded to start adjusting things 15 minutes before the race started. Off I went on the bike- what’s hitting my spokes? Oh great- the cadence sensor. Why is my cadence over 180? After about two miles, it dawned on me- I moved the magnet for the speedometer to work with the cadence sensor, which meant I had no speed or distance, plus I forgot to set the stopwatch. After a mile or two more, I realized I just needed to deal with it. The heat wasn’t too bad at this point, but I struggled with the hills- going up and going down because I had never ridden this course before. I was accompanied with a steady “ZING!” as my cadence sensor hit the spokes. About a half mile from the end, I took a corner and the sensor finally snapped off. I momentarily thought about stopping and going after it, but wisely chose not to.

When I check out my bike the day before and everything works just fine, LEAVE IT ALONE! I also need to work on hills and practice hydrating while in motion.
Transition 2
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

I was pretty happy with this- also my fastest T2 ever by almost half a minute, but still slow compared to others. It was getting very hot, so I took extra time to down Gatorade. I’m glad I scoped out the transition beforehand which made it a lot more comfortable heading out.
Run
  • 40m 10s
  • 3 miles
  • 13m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I’m just getting over 7+ months of no running due to Plantar Fasciitis, so I was pretty much a mix of walking and running. Maybe I was glad I had to walk/run because it was blazing hot when we got away from the trees. I took two cups of water at miles 1 and 2. I felt okay, but there were many suffering on the course. It still gets me when I get within earshot of the announcer at the finish line. I did my best to sprint the last 500 or so yards.

I survived, so that was a positive!
Post race
Warm down:

Hydrated like crazy and looked for shade. Hung around for awards because my wife was fourth in her age group, and one of our training buddies was second in his age group. I was very happy for them! As for my intrepid cadence sensor? Someone turned it in – JB Weld here I come!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My brain, followed by my brain, and the heat can come in third.

Event comments:

I'm curious how many started and how many really finished. The results only had a half dozen or so DNF's, but I thought this race had ~650 participants?

Last updated: 2011-07-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:08 | 547 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 177/574
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri shorts and top
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:41
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:15 | 10 miles | 15.29 mile/hr
Overall: 509/574
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:02
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:40:10 | 03 miles | 13m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 581/574
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-25 7:41 PM

User image

Subject: Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series #2
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series #2 Rss Feed