Overcast
Total Time = 2h 09m 26s
Overall Rank = 356/689
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 5/18
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4 am (yuck), dressed, oatmeal, mini-poo,
Event warmup:

Rode my bike for about a mile, during which the helmet sticker came off (already!). Got in the water before the first HIM wave went, but didn't get too much of a chance to do too much except pee.
(386 out of 689 includes men. Not counting the other Athenas, I would have been about 27th of 59 in the Female 25-29 AG).
Swim
  • 12m 17s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

There were a lot more weeds than I had expected, I think because the course went off to the side instead of straight out the beach area. Also, they decided at the last minute to merge the last two waves, so even though I was at the back of my original wave, adding the wave behind me meant I was stuck in the middle of the crowd. Didn't start regularly front crawling until nearly the turn-around. Water felt a lot warmer than the air.
What would you do differently?:

more practice in open water, get used to weeds!
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

Didn't wear my wetsuit, and I put my shoes on before leaving... so... yeah. The girl at the spot next to me wanted to chat - sorry!

Learn some techniques for faster transition, like jumping on the bike and starting with my shoes already on the pedals... we'll see.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 20s
  • 22.6 miles
  • 15.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Um, that was definitely more like 25 miles. Bike computer says 25.1 with an average of 17.4 mph. Felt pretty good, even though I had the Barney song in my head for a little while. Was really able to pick up the pace in the last several miles, partially due to a light tailwind? I was super happy at consistently seeing speeds of 19-20 mph - practically unheard of! I fueled better than I had been during training rides - calories every 20 minutes, instead of 30, so no bonking! I started off a bit conservative since I was worried about bonking, but was really able to push it at the end.
Transition 2
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Racks were sort of unstable, and the transition area was a little chaotic so hard to navigate while running with a bike. I wish speed laces got the shoes tight enough for my feet.

Learn to jump off a moving bike (I keep saying this, but never do it...)
Run
  • 27m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

I actually felt pretty good getting going - a little jelly legs, but not too bad. Felt like I was able to keep a good cadence, but there was no one near me for the last 1/4 mile or so, so no great motivation for a push at the end. Might have been able to break that 27 min... People had sprinklers out, which was awesome, and the spectators in the neighborhoods were great. Only stopped at one aid station for a bit of water, in my mouth and on my head.

speedwork?? more bricks, better bike fitness.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much, got some water, crackers and cheese, cookies, a pancake, stood around chatting with Katie and Mike

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training?

Event comments:

Not badly run, but it seemed like things took a little while to get going that morning (partially waiting for fog on the lake to clear). I was a little disappointed by the (dis)organization of transition area, sturdiness of the bike racks, and the post race food. Not much protein! The bike racks that were on the hill (my rack) kept falling over, and I think it would have made sense to have the transition areas for the half and the sprint separate, if at all possible. Then we wouldn't all have been getting in each others' way.

Last updated: 2011-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:17 | 440 yards | 02m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/689
Performance: Bad
Suit: Sugoi top and shorts
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:25:20 | 22.6 miles | 15.89 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Loop with some nice rollers (but nothing too big!) on generally nice country roads. Only one road was a little rough. I really enjoyed this ride through the country.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:13 | 03.11 miles | 08m 45s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back in a residential area. Sun was just starting to come out, so the shaded areas were nice, but I'm glad it wasn't much sunnier than it was.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes