las vegas, Nevada
United States
75F / 24C
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Was difficult to judge nutrition because the race usually gets to me at about 1 or 2 am. Had a large lunch and a small dinner and a honey stinger waffle on my way to the start of my leg. Got about a 2 hour "nap" from 11 PM to 1 AM
Event warmup:

Not much, stood around waiting for the prior runner to reach me with the baton. A little chilly so I wore my sweats until race time.
Run
  • 1h 03m
  • 7.3 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out feeling good and likely started out too fast because of that. The team was running behind so instead of just running my race I tried to push it. About 2 miles in I started to feel like there was a softball in my stomach. I slowed to a walk and accepted water from the support vehicle then started on my way again. I decided I needed to do what Chrissie would do and HTFU. After a while the pain eased up but I never regained my speed. About 1.5 miles from the end my calf started to feel tight. I knew I was getting close and could suffer through.
My mile times were: 7:38, 8:14, 8:35, 8:42, 8:46, 8:44, 9:01.
What would you do differently?:

Reconsider nutrition, stick to my pace early on.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk it off for a little bit then get in the car and head to the next leg.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pain in my stomach/side that could have been GI or just a massive stich in my side. Starting out too fast

Event comments:

I enjoy doing this race every year. The race organizers take great care to coordinate this event every year. Will do again next year. Possbily a different leg...

Last updated: 2011-07-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:03:00 | 07.3 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Steady slight downhill on pavement from about 7 miles outside Las Vegas to the edge of the city. Runners are on the side of the road with traffice passing in the normal traffic lane.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes