General Discussion Race Reports! » Race the River Triathlon at Riverstone Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Race the River Triathlon at Riverstone - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
United States
Swim Bike Run Northwest
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 46s
Overall Rank = 65/825
Age Group = Clyde Masters
Age Group Rank = 1/18
Pre-race routine:

Nothing too exciting. Rode from home to the race since it was only 4 miles and didn't want to hassle with parking.
Event warmup:

This race has a point to point swim so we had to walk 1/2 mile from transition to the swim start. Got in the water a few minutes before my wave start, paddled around then tread water until the horn blew for my wave.
Swim
  • 10m 9s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was one of my better race swims. My swim here 3 years ago was a little faster but there was a much stronger current that year. Sighted well and swam a great straight line, caught a few feet to draft, and kept a good steady pace. Stopped my watch when I got to the top of the swim exit ramp but the official race time doesn't stop your swim time until after a 150 yard run from the water to T1. This is my real swim time but the official race swim time was 11:40.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

Kept my own T1 time since the official time was skewed by the timing mat being so far from the water. T1 time includes the run from the water and about a 60-70 yard run to the bike mount line. Other than the longer than usual runs, a pretty routine T1

Nothing
Bike
  • 28m 59s
  • 11 miles
  • 22.77 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike start is uphill for about a block, then levels out into the really turny part of the course. Got into my shoes pretty quickly and took off. HR was pretty high after the swim but I just kept pushing, knowing that it would calm down after about 5 miles...and it did. A good share of the second mile of the loop is a mild uphill on really rough road so that keeps your attention. Saw one bad crash just a bit ahead of me. A guy doing about 25-27 mph got clipped by a slower rider drifting into him on a corner and it looked like he just exploded. Bike with him attached was flipping through the air then he landed and did a couple more flips before his bike came loose. I went by him and he was screaming and holding his arm. Then just ahead of him, a guy was turned to look at him and ran right into the curb at 20mph plus and he went flipping off into the grass. Craziness. The guy who wrecked badly finished the race though...kudos to him. Kept pushing at a good effort through the 11 miles.

Nothing. Pretty happy with the bike considering the technical course and crowds.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Here's where I had a little hiccup. Coming into T2, ready to do a flying dismount and standing on one pedal, I touched my brakes a little too hard and the front brake grabbed...and sent me flying over the handle bars and crashing. Great. Didn't get anything worse than a little roadrash on my knee though so jumped up and kept going. Lost a few seconds to being stupid though.

Not crash!
Run
  • 25m 41s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty rough at the start of the run after pushing the bike but just kept running through it. The uphill part of the first mile really didn't feel very good at all but eventually I started feeling better. Last mile felt pretty decent.

Not much. Suck it up.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked for a bit to shake out the legs. Met up with Lisa and we talked to some of our friends who were racing then waited for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run fitness needs to be better.

Event comments:

Took 1st in my AG, Clydesdale Masters, and was 5th overall 50-54 AG. This was the USAT Pacific Northwest Regional Sprint Tri championship with a lot of people from all over this region so I was very happy with the result. Very well run race with the exception of the awards...took way too long and disorganized. Next race will be the USAT Pacific Northwest AG Championships at the CDA Olympic race. We'll see how things go on a longer, much hillier course.

Last updated: 2011-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:09 | 880 yards | 01m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/18
Overall: 18/825
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro X2
Course: Point to point downriver with a mild current.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:42
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:28:59 | 11 miles | 22.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/18
Wind: Little
Course: This is a very critereum-like bike course with three, 3 2/3 mile loops that have 10 turns each loop. Pretty tricky in some places, especially with 800+ athletes of varying skill and speed levels all on it at the same time. Rush hour in LA isn't as crazy I don't think!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:41 | 03.1 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/18
Performance: Average
Course: Fairly hilly for a short course. First 1/3 mile is flat then a long, gentle uphill until just before the first mile marker. At about 1 1/4 mile you climb a steep hill that gradually flattens out a little bit but from there to mile 2 is all uphill. Then it's back downhill and flat for the rest of the run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-26 2:52 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: Race the River Triathlon at Riverstone

2011-07-26 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3615723

Extreme Veteran
Washington
Subject: RE: Race the River Triathlon at Riverstone
Nice race! Yeah that third lap was pretty nuts, I wish they would extend the bike length on seltice road, that would help with congestion a little. Nice bike split, I wish I had that kind of speed.
2011-07-26 8:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City, UT

Nice job, Flyboy!!!!

2011-07-27 2:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Great job! I was sitting next to you during the awards - but, at the time, I didn't know you were "Flyboy" (I've seen your posts on the IMCDA threads).  I'll say hello if we bump into each other at Cd'A Oly.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Race the River Triathlon at Riverstone Rss Feed