General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Challenge the Hills of Roswell Starting Early for Next Tuesday, August 2nd Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-26 6:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Woodstock, GA
Subject: Challenge the Hills of Roswell Starting Early for Next Tuesday, August 2nd
Just Justin...
It was a sad day for the Roswell Ride, I was the only 1 there tonight!  
Two weeks ago we had just two riders and last week we had six.  I was not sure I'd get out of work in time tonight and afraid to post.  Just hopeful a few people would be there anyway...

Buehler, Buehler, Buehler...
Starting early for next week, is anyone planning to ride next Tuesday, August 2nd@6PM from the Community Activity Center at Roswell Area Park or will it be the Tuesday Time Trial for me once again?  I definitely prefer riding in a group, even if I'm so slow they only see me a few times on the ride...

Roswell Area Park Driving Directions

Pretty sure this would make a great recovery ride next Tuesday if you are going to Brick the Cancer on Saturday.

LTF Alpharetta Route GPS files Needed
On a side note, my office recently moved and now working very close to LTF Alpharetta.  Does anyone have the Garmin GPS files for the route from there?  It would be helpful if I had the route in my GPS and don't end up getting lost.  Also is that route safe enough to ride alone or are there any heavy traffic areas I need to worry about?  Planning to ride after work, so what are the distance options available?

-Justin

Edited by activejustin 2011-07-26 6:56 PM

2011-07-27 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3616053

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Challenge the Hills of Roswell Starting Early for Next Tuesday, August 2nd

I'm sorry you ended up riding solo!  

I didn't have a file for the LTF ride before Saturday as my Garmin died before we made it all the way back last time.  We did it this past Saturday, with a little mileage add in there.  I haven't uploaded the file on here yet but I think Karen did so check her log.

With the add, the route was 49.5 (ish).

2011-07-27 10:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Alpharetta
Subject: RE: Challenge the Hills of Roswell Starting Early for Next Tuesday, August 2nd
I don't have the GPS files for those. But there are two options, a 28 mile route and a 40 mile route. They are not marked marked as well as the Roswell route, but there are route markers on the road. Look for LTF and an arrow pointing in the direction you should go. The 28 mile route does go thru some heavy traffic areas around Windward, but then gets better the further out you get around Holbrook Campground.

The 40 mile route is pretty country once you get out of Alpharetta downtown, especially at 7:30 on Sunday. However, this route is where some of the route markers are getting worn and hard to see. And we had to alter the route slightly because of a dog/bike accident a couple of weeks ago.

I would probably ride both solo if I had to. There's nothing so crowded that is scares me and nothing so country that I'm worried about the rednecks.
2011-07-27 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3616730

User image

Expert

cindi - 2011-07-27 11:03 AM I don't have the GPS files for those. But there are two options, a 28 mile route and a 40 mile route. They are not marked marked as well as the Roswell route, but there are route markers on the road. Look for LTF and an arrow pointing in the direction you should go. The 28 mile route does go thru some heavy traffic areas around Windward, but then gets better the further out you get around Holbrook Campground. The 40 mile route is pretty country once you get out of Alpharetta downtown, especially at 7:30 on Sunday. However, this route is where some of the route markers are getting worn and hard to see. And we had to alter the route slightly because of a dog/bike accident a couple of weeks ago. I would probably ride both solo if I had to. There's nothing so crowded that is scares me and nothing so country that I'm worried about the rednecks.

Where was the dog bike accident and how did you alter the route?  We've been doing the "44.5" route but with a loop added around Holbrook campground to get closer to 50 (and ultimately 100)

2011-07-27 11:00 AM

User image

New user
Alpharetta

Ouch, sorry Justin. I had kid duty since wife is OOT. Hopefully, I'll be there next week.

I'll ride the LTF that route with you; it's close to home . I've done sections of it, but don't know the full route. I usually ride from my house to the store on campground an it's about 40ish. I know it turns shortly after that; but have ridden with LTF so few times I don't know the route.

Lemme know.

2011-07-27 1:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Alpharetta
Katie,

I'm not sure I'm familiar enough with the 40 mile route to be precise here, as I've only ridden it a few times. But I believe the accident was on Gaddis Rd. The alternate route invloves us not turning onto Gaddis, just going straight and then turning on another road. But here's where I get fuzzy because I don't know the name of the alternate road. Sorry.

BTW - the accident itself was pretty spectacular. Dog ran straight into and t-boned one bike and took him out. Then that catapulted the dog up in the air, landing on his back with paws up right in front of another biker, who then ran over the dog, sending that biker over the handlebars.

2011-07-27 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3617236

User image

Expert

cindi - 2011-07-27 2:33 PM Katie, I'm not sure I'm familiar enough with the 40 mile route to be precise here, as I've only ridden it a few times. But I believe the accident was on Gaddis Rd. The alternate route invloves us not turning onto Gaddis, just going straight and then turning on another road. But here's where I get fuzzy because I don't know the name of the alternate road. Sorry. BTW - the accident itself was pretty spectacular. Dog ran straight into and t-boned one bike and took him out. Then that catapulted the dog up in the air, landing on his back with paws up right in front of another biker, who then ran over the dog, sending that biker over the handlebars.

Holy cow.  That is horrible! I'm going to sadly say that a dog in an incident like that wouldn't exactly be able to be a repeat offender...if he survived, no owner would be able to take that risk again.  That's in the Woodmont subdivision area which could pretty easily be avoided by staying on Arbor Hill (which you get back on anyways).

But, that being said, we were out there for two loops last Saturday with no issues.  There was one dog on another part that would have absolutely chased us down if they hadn't had their front yard fenced in.

2011-07-27 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Alpharetta
Yeah, I'm not sure that dog is still able to be a hazard. He did get up and run (or limp) back to his house. Last sight of him was leaning up against a porch post. They did tell the owner he might want to get the dog checked out, but any owner careless enough not to contain the dog might not care enough to get him checked out either.

If he's still alive and kicking, he certainly at the very least learned a valuable lesson.
2011-07-27 4:19 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
activejustin - 2011-07-26 7:42 PM
Buehler, Buehler, Buehler...
Starting early for next week, is anyone planning to ride next Tuesday, August 2nd@6PM from the Community Activity Center at Roswell Area Park or will it be the Tuesday Time Trial for me once again?  I definitely prefer riding in a group, even if I'm so slow they only see me a few times on the ride...

Both brown-dogs will be there.
2011-07-27 8:28 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

Justin - are you looking for map of the Tuesday night ride or the Saturday longer ride?  Katie, Becky & I have been doing the Saturday 43.5 mile route on the weekends.  We add on some miles to get to 50, and then repeat!  The Tuesday night ride is about 26 miles I think, but we do a modification there too so it's close to 30 miles.

http://www.sadlebred.com/gamaps.html

That site has a ton of rides including the LTF Alpharetta rides.  Listed alphabetically, look for Lifetime.

2011-08-01 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3617988

User image

Roswell, GA

Justin:

It is so sad to hear you didn't have anyone to take a secret shortcut on or to coast--I mean draft--behind.  Sometimes life is just not fair.

Between work and the heat, I just haven't quite had the motivation to make it the last two weeks.  But I plan to be there tomorrow so I can ride behind you.  Getting ready for the Lake Logan Olympic near Asheville this weekend.

Norton

2011-08-01 5:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Woodstock, GA
Looking forward to riding with:
-Adam
-Norton
-Stephanie & Doug
-Maybe Heather & Kirk
-Brad

Norton,  Definitely a better ride when you are there to try and catch up to and draft from.  Often I need every shortcut and push it into Zone 5 for an extended period just to catch up with you and coast through the ride along Riverside in your tremendous wake. 

Stephanie & Doug, 
Had a blast (Fun & also similar to riding in a blast furnace) at the Brick the Cancer on Sunday.  Thanks for putting it together and the great BBQ after!
If you all have any of those awesome Brown Dog homegrown tomatoes left, I would gladly buy your dinners at Taco Mac for some more.  I had one for breakfast and lunch yesterday and am really craving one now!  10x tastier than those you buy at the store.

Map of the Lifetime ride definitely helps, but I was really looking for the GPS file to load into the 605, so that I absolutely cannot get lost.  Since I'm riding after work, probably just doing the 30 mile option, unless I can squeeze in the 43 before dark.  Adam and Cindi mentioned they would ride with me once to get the route.  Anyone want to ride from Lifetime Alpharetta this week with me on Thursday night?

Justin

Edited by activejustin 2011-08-01 5:47 PM
2011-08-01 7:55 PM

User image

New user
Alpharetta

Sorry Justin,

I'm going to bail on you tomorrow. It's just too damn hot and it makes my hair frizzy. I'm going to ride in the morning before work.

I will turn in my "man card" at the next appropriate event.

2011-08-02 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3624486

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

activejustin - 2011-08-01 6:44 PM Looking forward to riding with:
-Adam
-Norton
-Stephanie & Doug
-Maybe Heather & Kirk
-Brad

Norton,  Definitely a better ride when you are there to try and catch up to and draft from.  Often I need every shortcut and push it into Zone 5 for an extended period just to catch up with you and coast through the ride along Riverside in your tremendous wake. 

Stephanie & Doug, 
Had a blast (Fun & also similar to riding in a blast furnace) at the Brick the Cancer on Sunday.  Thanks for putting it together and the great BBQ after!
If you all have any of those awesome Brown Dog homegrown tomatoes left, I would gladly buy your dinners at Taco Mac for some more.  I had one for breakfast and lunch yesterday and am really craving one now!  10x tastier than those you buy at the store.

Map of the Lifetime ride definitely helps, but I was really looking for the GPS file to load into the 605, so that I absolutely cannot get lost.  Since I'm riding after work, probably just doing the 30 mile option, unless I can squeeze in the 43 before dark.  Adam and Cindi mentioned they would ride with me once to get the route.  Anyone want to ride from Lifetime Alpharetta this week with me on Thursday night?

Justin

Kirk is in NH again this week, so he won't be there. Lisa and I are hoping to join the group (starting from Riverside @ 5:30), but I have a work call that is currently scheduled from 4-5:30. I'm hoping to be able to figure out how to switch to my cell, change clothes, and get ready on time - but it's going to depend on how the call goes. 

2011-08-02 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3625444

User image

Master
hblackmon - 2011-08-02 12:20 PM

Kirk is in NH again this week, so he won't be there. Lisa and I are hoping to join the group (starting from Riverside @ 5:30), but I have a work call that is currently scheduled from 4-5:30. I'm hoping to be able to figure out how to switch to my cell, change clothes, and get ready on time - but it's going to depend on how the call goes. 

Start out on the cell.  When you need to change, switch to speakerphone and mute!  You need not disclose the location or purpose of the appointment to which you are traveling.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Challenge the Hills of Roswell Starting Early for Next Tuesday, August 2nd Rss Feed