General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Pleasent. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-26 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Goodyear
Subject: Lake Pleasent.
Can anyone tell me the best spot for a OWS, Bike and Run at Lake Pleseant? Olympic distance?

2011-07-26 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3616150

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: Lake Pleasent.
In my opinion, the best place to swim is at the north end of the parking lot by the four lane boat ramp at the North entrance of the park.  A good ride can be done from there along Castle Hot Springs Rd., South Park Rd. (turnaround at the information center), North Park Rd.,and Peninsula (turnaround at the bottom of the hill) and back to the parking lot along Castle Hot Springs.  Round trip of about 20 miles (most of this used to be the Tribal Sprint course).  To run, the trail run on Pipeline Canyon trail (trailheads are at the intersection of Peninsula and North Park Rd. and the end of Castle Creek Dr).  The trail is about 2 miles each way, I think, so if you were to leave from the parking lot, run to the trail, run the trail, and return, you would probably have about six miles, maybe a little more.  You can look at the park at the Park's website.  Let me know if you have any other questions. I haven't been out there in a while, but this used to be a great place to train.
2011-07-27 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Goodyear
Thank you! I am going to do the route you recommend.
2011-07-28 12:07 AM

User image

Veteran

A couple of weeks ago I saw No Boat buoys at Vista Point, just to the west of the north 4 lane ramp at the Pleasant Harbor Marina side (east side) of the lake. Unless you go early (like 7:00am) there's a lot of boat traffic around the north ramp. It goes from busy to hectic very quickly. For a surface swimmer that could be a problem.

The trek down to the water at Vista is a bit arduous right now with the lake level being low. But on the plus side, on weekends you can't swing a cat without hitting a scuba instructor, dive master or rescue diver so you are pretty safe and well protected over there. And the bubbles kinda tickle.

Since the buoys are new I doubt there is any GPS info from shore. maybe somebody can take a kayak and GPS over there and scope it out.

The west side of the lake offers some challenging hills for a ride and run. Desert Tortoise road on the west side or the pipeline area may offer some good swimming also. There aren't a lot of designated swimming areas at Lake Pleasant so you need to be aware that you will have to contend with boaters who may not know what they're doing or what the rules are.

Good luck. I'll be diving at Vista Point on Saturday at about 8:00.

2011-08-07 3:53 PM

User image

Veteran
I'll scout out the northern area on the county side of the lake to see if there is a usable swimming area and report back. I know they have hills galore there to keep the ride and run interesting.
2012-05-14 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3616181

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix
BHannahs - 2011-07-26 6:51 PM

In my opinion, the best place to swim is at the north end of the parking lot by the four lane boat ramp at the North entrance of the park.  A good ride can be done from there along Castle Hot Springs Rd., South Park Rd. (turnaround at the information center), North Park Rd.,and Peninsula (turnaround at the bottom of the hill) and back to the parking lot along Castle Hot Springs.  Round trip of about 20 miles (most of this used to be the Tribal Sprint course).  To run, the trail run on Pipeline Canyon trail (trailheads are at the intersection of Peninsula and North Park Rd. and the end of Castle Creek Dr).  The trail is about 2 miles each way, I think, so if you were to leave from the parking lot, run to the trail, run the trail, and return, you would probably have about six miles, maybe a little more.  You can look at the park at the Park's website.  Let me know if you have any other questions. I haven't been out there in a while, but this used to be a great place to train.

Has anyone done this swim recently? Any boat traffic/jet skiers that get in the way? I live much closer to LP and would like to do some OWS here rather than driving an hour to Saguaro.

2012-05-14 11:28 AM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ

First Wave Tri goes out there on Thursday evenings. It's open to anyone who wants to swim. This week they are even bringing an instructor. Info on the calendar here:

http://www.firstwavetri.com/

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Pleasent. Rss Feed