General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Coming on Sept 11, but I'm Hurt... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-27 2:38 PM

User image

Monterey
Subject: Tri Coming on Sept 11, but I'm Hurt...

Hi, everyone!  I haven't posted a heck of a lot this year because I have been successful in my tri event (the Wildflower) and my training for the two upcoming tri's I've entered in September has been going well.  That is, until last week.  On July 19th, I was on a group ride with friends when I crashed at over 20 MPH after hitting a road hazard that I didn't see.  I'm fairly well banged up, and I wouldn't call it too bad, except for the fact that my body is almost 60 years old and is NOT recovering well.  I didn't help my recovery by getting back on the bike two days after the crash and then running seven miles the day after that!  That really caused me problems.  Here's my "damages" - seven stitches to my left eyebrow, abrasions to my left check, left calf, and left hip, road rash on both knees, and serious road rash on my left forearm.  My issues are I have chest pain in the sternum area that has gotten worse as time has gone by, I have an enormous hematoma on my left leg, extending from my hip to my knee, with swelling around my left ankle, and the freakin' road rash won't heal.  I have stopped all of my training - except for a casual bike ride every other day.

I have six weeks until the Triathlon at Pacific Grove, and I cannot train.  I may be down for as much as two more weeks.  I'm loosing fitness and strength by the HOUR.  Does anyone have any suggestions, or should I bag the PG Tri and enter another at a later date?  Oh - I am entered in the Big Sur Half marathon, too, but that's late November and I'm thinking I can get back on a training track in time to be ready for that.

Thanks!

2011-07-27 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3617433

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Subject: RE: Tri Coming on Sept 11, but I'm Hurt...

You'd be surprised how much you're not actually losing your fitness. Rest is just as important as hard training.

Rest up to 100%. Focus on staying positive and eating healthy, you'll have plenty of time to get back to the s/b/r before your race and get back into race form.

2011-07-27 8:03 PM

User image

Monterey

Costochronditis.  I have this.  A rib has separated from my sternum.  On top of that, the hematoma on my hip is enormous; my doctor wants me to rest for SIX WEEKS to allow it to reabsorb and my rib cartilage to heal.

The PG Tri seems out of the question right now.

As I said over on Bike Forums, I found out when I was in the doctors office today how hard it is for an athlete to hear being told SHE HAS TO STOP.

Edited by sarals 2011-07-27 8:04 PM
2011-07-28 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran

sarals - 2011-07-27 2:38 PM  I'm loosing fitness and strength by the HOUR.

No you're not. You're letting your body heal. Your base fitness isn't going to just up and disappear. The crash sucks, and the recovery sucks even more... but there will always be another race.

2011-07-28 2:05 PM

User image

Monterey

I have to agree.  I was pretty upset yesterday!  Yes, there will be other races, and perhaps I'll get back to form quickly.  I don't have to start from ground zero, do I?  No.

Thanks!!

2011-07-29 10:47 AM

User image

Monterey

I might be able to "participate" in the PG Tri after all.  Things are coming along well (as long as I don't cough!).  The big worry is the hematoma on my hip.   My doc said I can ride, soft pedal, and I can ride the trainer, and I could run at three weeks, provided the hematoma has absorbed.  I can swim any time, but the pool wants the road rash to heal before they'll let me.  Anyway, I'm thinking I CAN do this!

A big part of recovery from injury, I'm finding, is emotional.  I'm having to stuff my worries in a closet (worries like loosing fitness, gaining weight, starting over), because they're probably either irrelevant or small - I'm in the process of discovering all that now.  Besides, a positive attitude helps things heal.

Right?

PG Tri...PG Tri!!!

2011-07-29 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
If you think you won't be ready, then you won't be.  I'd take the time to heal before I punished my body in a race.  My son had a bad bike crash a couple of years ago.  He also suffered some rib damage.  It took him six months before he could breath correctly in the swim.  But the following year he was back and faster than ever.  You're still young, give yourself a break. 
2011-07-29 2:51 PM

User image

Monterey

Thanks you!  I have a correction, though - 59 "ain't" young!  I don't bounce - any more.

I think I'll be ready.  I'm gauging carefully.  I've been completely inactive for three days now (and it's killing me), but I see improvement daily.  I'm still seven weeks from the tri.  I'm doing the sprint, and I can take it easy, I don't need to win (I'd like to, though).  Really, I'd be happy just getting back to my exercise regimen.  Right now, though, I know that rest is important.

Edited by sarals 2011-07-29 2:52 PM
2011-07-29 4:42 PM
in reply to: #3617957

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
sarals - 2011-07-27 8:03 PM

Costochronditis.  I have this.  A rib has separated from my sternum.  On top of that, the hematoma on my hip is enormous; my doctor wants me to rest for SIX WEEKS to allow it to reabsorb and my rib cartilage to heal.

The PG Tri seems out of the question right now.

As I said over on Bike Forums, I found out when I was in the doctors office today how hard it is for an athlete to hear being told SHE HAS TO STOP.

Sounds like you need to listen to the Dr. on this one. Let your body heal up, so you can be 100% and not compond any issues. Races will always be there.

2011-07-29 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3621264

User image

Monterey

KSH - 2011-07-29 4:42 PM
sarals - 2011-07-27 8:03 PM
Sounds like you need to listen to the Dr. on this one. Let your body heal up, so you can be 100% and not compond any issues. Races will always be there.

You're right.  And I am. 

Thank you!

2011-07-30 9:42 AM

User image

Monterey

Here's a side effect, one I've really feared.  I weighed 134 pounds the morning of my crash, which is right in the ballpark for me (132 - 136).  This morning I weighed 142 pounds.  So - 8 pounds put on in a week and a half due to inactivity - and I'm NOT eating fatty or junk food or a lot of anything!  I'm retaining some fluid, sure - but 8 pounds???  Now, not only do I have to get back up to speed physically, but I have loose this weight I'm gaining.  And, stop the gain!  Insult to injury - literally.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Coming on Sept 11, but I'm Hurt... Rss Feed