NYRR
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 49s
Overall Rank = 100/640
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 17/45
Pre-race routine:

Got a good amount of sleep and stayed by a good friends house that was about 15 minutes away from the race site and would be my race cheering section. Had a Honey Stinger waffle and a gel pre race.
Event warmup:

Ran and did some soccer style hip rotation shuffles. I knew when I started sweating all crazy after this sort warmup that it would be a rough day
Swim
  • 13m 53s
  • 437 yards
  • 03m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a 400m swim in a Olympic size pool. You snaked 8 lengths and then got out, ran down the steps to the transition area. They used a time trail start where 1 swimmer went into the water every 10 seconds so it would be awhile before I hit the pool. Along the walls they had estimated swim finish times in 1 minute increments starting at under 6 minutes the ending at 16+ minutes. I seeded myself at the 11-12 minute estimated time. After watching the swim start I started to see that some people severely over estimated there swim times. They were people doggie paddling and breast stroking on the 1st length and they were seeded in around the 7-8 min finish time and I thought to myself WTF!?! So I started to move my way up in the line which turned out to be a good move because no one passed me in the pool. Before I got into the pool a wheel chaired athlete most likely in her 60s got in before me and the crowd went nuts! I was speaking to her on the line and she was telling me she will stay to the right so I can pass her and I was like ummmmm I don’t think that’s going to happen. I decided to take advantage of the fact that it was a pool swim and attack in intervals. I swam the 1st 100m and passed the para-athlete during the 1st 50m and then I stopped at the wall and rested for 20-25 seconds. She then caught me and passed me and I would start the next length and pass her, rest at the wall she would pass me and then I would pass her and rest at the wall. We repeated this back and forth motion the entire swim and finished roughly the same time. When I was climbing out she yelled at me to keep it up and I felt so motivated by seeing her do the swim. But the low light of the swim was on the last length while resting at the wall I saw this lady cut under the lane dividers about 10ft before the wall and started the last length! I had moment lapse in judgment but I yelled at her “You cheating B***H!!” and pushed of the wall and sprinted to make sure I passed her and give her the death stare when getting out the pool. I just didn’t like the fact that people are busting their butts in the pool and she is cheating. But I guess she is only cheating herself
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

My time was horrible as there was no wetsuit and I swam in my kit so it should have been way faster but I literally walked the whole thing from the edge of the pool, down the steps and into the transition area to my bike.
What would you do differently?:

Next time grab that free time provided by not having a wetsuit. I feel I could have saved a minute in total transition time
Bike
  • 39m 37s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.69 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was a two loop course and I started going out a little two hard but then backed of and decided that I would pick people off on the second loop but I actually started picking people off earlier so it felt real good. All in all the bike wasn’t eventful and just allowed me to move up in the standings
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

Still slow, transitions will be a major part of my training for next season as it really is the 4th discipline
Run
  • 22m 51s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

So know as you know this is my favorite part of the race as this is my best event and where I make up the most ground. But with this heat wave going on it was close to 90 degrees by the time I started the run and I know that may not seem to hot but if you don’t train in the heat it takes a major toll on you. During the run I felt like I couldn’t go any faster no matter how many people I saw in front of me or how hard I tried. I know from prior races how fast I can complete this section so when I wasn’t on that pace I was getting disappointed. They heat was devastating to me because at the halfway mark my goal just became not to walk. I still was able to pass people but no were near what I usually do and I just felt like crap the whole run. Usually I don’t stop at the aid stations for 5ks but I stopped at both aid stations for water and Gatorade. After the finish I was a little disoriented and just stood in front of this huge cold water hose, it was the best feeling in the world. After getting home from the race I have never felt as drained as I did that day. I took the best nap ever as soon as I hit the bed
What would you do differently?:

Integrate some mid day heat training next season
Post race

Last updated: 2011-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:53 | 437 yards | 03m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/45
Overall: 327/640
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:19
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:37 | 13 miles | 19.69 mile/hr
Overall: 53/640
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops closed course
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:51 | 03.1 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Overall: 63/640
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-28 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: NYRR Sprint Triathlon

2011-07-29 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3619202

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: RE: NYRR Sprint Triathlon

I love it!  Great job!  POOL POOL POOL!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NYRR Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed