Other Resources My Cup of Joe » "Tip" contractors? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-07-28 6:35 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: "Tip" contractors?

I was wondering since I live in the "land of the tip" (Vegas) do typically tip contractors that work on your house or yard?

I guess sometimes I throw a few extra bucks to the laborors that take care of the yard since they do all the work and the boss just collects the cash (and of course, pays them).

But what about remodeling?  You know, cabinets and counters, etc...  I did all the plumbing and electrical, do I give myself a tip? 

To be honest, when you are dropping 20k or more on a kitchen, I don't think a "tip" is required.

It just sort of feels weird because in this town, you pretty much give a couple bucks to anyone that helps you out (at least on the strip).  Feels odd to send a contractor out with a handshake and a smile and a thank you.  But that's what I have been doing!

Edited by Kido 2011-07-28 6:36 PM

2011-07-28 6:43 PM
in reply to: #3619795

User image

Subject: RE: "Tip" contractors?
I don't give them cash, but try to be a good "host" so to speak and provide them food, drinks or something of that nature.
2011-07-28 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3619803

User image

Sensei
Sin City

crusevegas - 2011-07-28 4:43 PM I don't give them cash, but try to be a good "host" so to speak and provide them food, drinks or something of that nature.

Yeah, I offer coffee and drinks, but they always seem to have their own...  I try.  I also try not to hover too much, even thought I tend to hang out in the family room which is connected to the kitchen.  I don't want to appear to be looking over their shoulder or have them resent me sitting around watching.  I also take my meals somewhere else to eat...

I don't know just feels uncomfortable to be sitting around watching TV and eating lunch like a fat cat while they grind away... BUT, that's what they are getting paid for.  Once I even tried to help move some stuff, and they told me NOT to - more because they didn't want me to ruin or break something, then have to deal with replacing it and charging me...  If THEY break it, they fix it.  If I do, then it get's sticky.

2011-07-28 7:48 PM

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
I work for a company that does landscaping and light construction. As a general rule, no, our guys do not receive tips. That being said, if a customer is extremely happy with the work that has been done, often times they receive gift cards to a restaurant. That usually happens on long term jobs where they are on the job site for several weeks or months, not just a few days.
2011-07-28 8:29 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
No.  They get paid good money and charge you for their set fee.  I don't consider them a waiter/waitress/busboy, or bartender.
2011-07-28 9:09 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

When we built our house I went way overboard for the framers and finish carpenters.  they had huge coolers full of water, gatorade, and pop with beers on the bottom every day they were on site.  I got a food consensus every day in the morning and brought them pizza, burgers, arby's, or whatever they wanted daily.

I didn't give monetary tips, but I wanted them to appreciate the fact that I appreciated them.  My logic was if they didn't think of me as the arrogant fat cat who didn't care about them there was a higher probability they'd do a good job on my house.  lol

2011-07-28 9:32 PM

User image

Elite
Reno
I get your meaning about your location and tipping customs.    Reno leans a bit this way, but no where near LV, I imagine.   I went and shipped some stuff one morning on my way to work at the UPS store.   There was a tip jar.   I scratched my head a bit about that.   I go in to work and our UPS rep was there (we are a HUGE, or at least large, client, and our rep stops by often, bringing fancy coffees and the like).   Since he was right there and asking me how I was, I told him about the tip jar - I told him I wasn't against it, but found it odd.   He was very surprised.   He called me the next day and said it was gone.   (PS - it is back now and I say nothing.   they ARE very helpful there and it is a neighborhood type of place, so it must work OK for them).

Anyway - I would say that a regular professional contractor - no monitary tip. 

Odd job kinds of things - maybe.   For example, I wanted some rose trellises.   sturdy, welded, steal.   I found a guy out of craigs list, he came out, gave an estimate, and totally delivered.    I was not home when he stopped by, so he just got the check from Mr. Booty.   They were totally amazing!   We are talking artistic jungle gyms for roses.   I really feel that it was beyond a good deal to the point of theft.   I have emailed him and asked him for an address to send him a supplimentary check and, very oddly, have not heard back.   I am going to try again.

Regular lawn/cleaning/maintenence:  maybe or sometimes.   Our cleaning people must be really happy when they pull up and my husband's truck is there.   He usually gives them $20 more than I leave on the counter.    But they do an amazing job.   Christmas or something - yes, we tip of gift everyone down (or up) to our mail carrier.   ETA:   gift cards to the movie theater has been the most universally and  enthusiastically recieved item we have tried.   Not everyone loves my homemade jelly, it seems.  (WTF?)

Here is my question regarding tipping:  If you get a massage at a salon or spa, one would normally tip, just like a hair or skin treatment - it is very personal contact and a very luxury service.  If you get one at your gym, that is connected to the hospital/health center, and it seems more like a health service, do you tip?

Edited by bootygirl 2011-07-28 9:35 PM
2011-07-29 7:28 AM
in reply to: #3619953

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
tuwood - 2011-07-28 10:09 PM

When we built our house I went way overboard for the framers and finish carpenters.  they had huge coolers full of water, gatorade, and pop with beers on the bottom every day they were on site.  I got a food consensus every day in the morning and brought them pizza, burgers, arby's, or whatever they wanted daily.

I didn't give monetary tips, but I wanted them to appreciate the fact that I appreciated them.  My logic was if they didn't think of me as the arrogant fat cat who didn't care about them there was a higher probability they'd do a good job on my house.  lol

I spent over 20 years in the construction industry.  I can tell you that this is actually greatly appreciated.  Whenever we got a customer like this, we would always try to do a little extra for them whenever possible.  Sure, the contract scope is the contract scope, but there are always grey areas.  Customers who occasionally bring some food or drinks always receive a more generous interpretation of those grey areas.

No, cash tips are not necessary.

2011-07-29 7:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I will only comment slightly on tipping. In Japan (not including the areas inundated with Americans -military friendly persay-) tipping is not welcome. It is insulting to tip someone; essentially you are saying that they are terrible at their job and are offering to help pay them to get trained properly.

That said, having traveled back and forth to the States for various reasons I find the service in Japan generally superior to the service in the States. I think that when I finally move back my tipping habits (generally 15-25% depending on service) will almost definitely go down compared to what they were prior to my move to Japan.

Regarding large contracting jobs I would say that tipping is ridiculous. You pay a fairly large sum of money for a job to be done. There is no reason each and every general laborer needs to be tipped for doing their job. I agree that having some coffee or drinks is a nice treat, but beyond that they are doing a job. I do not go to work and have the American population to toss me a tip every time I blow up a terrorist and I do not expect that when an American laborer puts up some cabinets that (s)he expects a tip for doing their job.

2011-07-29 8:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON

I'm Project Manager/Estimator for a mid size General Contractor.  Granted I mostly do institutional work but used to be in residential.....never heard of anyone being tipped before....save your money.

Tipping is getting a little out of hand....today your expected to tip delivery people, taxi's, etc. but it's gotten to the point where you tip the person at the coffee shop (for doing what?) tip your dry cleaner and the list goes on.  It used to be for good service...now we feel socially obligated to do so?

Not me.  Tips are for above average service, not what they are already getting paid to do.

2011-07-29 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
I used to work out on the construction side of things (electrical contractor), and very, very rarely did I get a cash tip from anyone.  Buy the guys some pizza and drinks on occasion and you'll have a happy crew that will go above and beyond. 

2011-07-29 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3620318

User image

Lafayette, CO
TheCrownsOwn - 2011-07-29 7:38 AM

Not me.  Tips are for above average service, not what they are already getting paid to do.

A bit off topic but I go to a self-serve frozen yogurt place here where all the employee does is ring me up and make sure the toppings are available.  They have a tip jar.  Really?  Seriously?  What the heck am I tipping you for?

2011-07-29 4:27 PM
in reply to: #3620822

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
COSkiGirl - 2011-07-29 11:19 AM

A bit off topic but I go to a self-serve frozen yogurt place here where all the employee does is ring me up and make sure the toppings are available.  They have a tip jar.  Really?  Seriously?  What the heck am I tipping you for?

I'm glad to finally see 2 people who agree with me.

Tips are for going above and beyond the job you are getting paid to do. I don't think they should ever be expected.

I have grown tired of getting lectured at restaurants so I usually tip now, but if they just do their job they ain't getting much. Now when they do go above and beyond, I give pretty nice tips.

2011-07-29 4:38 PM
in reply to: #3621240

User image

Lafayette, CO
Aarondb4 - 2011-07-29 3:27 PM

Tips are for going above and beyond the job you are getting paid to do. I don't think they should ever be expected.

I have grown tired of getting lectured at restaurants so I usually tip now, but if they just do their job they ain't getting much. Now when they do go above and beyond, I give pretty nice tips.

Well, now, restaurants with servers are very different in my mind.  Servers are paid a measely amount and I believe the do deserve the tips.  I will decide how much based on how the services was.  But at a fro yo place or other fast casual places those are clerks and not paid server wages. 

2011-08-01 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3621255

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
COSkiGirl - 2011-07-29 3:38 PM

Well, now, restaurants with servers are very different in my mind.  Servers are paid a measely amount and I believe the do deserve the tips.  I will decide how much based on how the services was.  But at a fro yo place or other fast casual places those are clerks and not paid server wages. 

I always wonder about this because I talked to a server at Applebees and he said they all got minimum wage plus tips. He was pulling down anywhere from $14 an hour to $20 an hour between the $8 an hour minimum and tips.

Is this not typical?

2011-08-01 11:49 AM

User image

over a barrier
No servers generally make way below min wage + tips. The back of the house will get paid by the hour and sometimes get a split of the tip.

2011-08-01 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3623761

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah
Aarondb4 - 2011-08-01 11:21 AM

I always wonder about this because I talked to a server at Applebees and he said they all got minimum wage plus tips. He was pulling down anywhere from $14 an hour to $20 an hour between the $8 an hour minimum and tips.

Is this not typical?

No this is not.  I worked at Applebee's 2 years ago and I was making $2.85/hr plus tips.  On top of that we had to tip out the runners and hosts.

ETA:  In many states the minimum wage for servers and other workers in industries that receive tips is lower than the federal minimum wage.

Edited by LGraff 2011-08-01 11:56 AM
2011-08-01 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3623827

User image

Payson, AZ

running2far - 2011-08-01 9:49 AM No servers generally make way below min wage + tips. The back of the house will get paid by the hour and sometimes get a split of the tip.

It is really state dependent.  From what I hear Oregon is one of the best and Florida is one of the worse. 

2011-08-01 12:31 PM

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
Aarondb4 - 2011-08-01 11:21 AM

Is this not typical?

When my sister was waiting tables she made about $2.50 and hour. Servers have a different minimum wage from other jobs because tips are part of their pay.

2011-08-01 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I would never tip a contractor.  You have a contract that everyone agreed to.  The expectation is that the contractor does what's in the contract, granted there are grey areas.  I would provide the people on site with hospitality in the form of drinks and the occational meal and snacks.  That is something that I think shows that you appreaciate their efforts and are willing to go that extra bit to recognize that they are people and not just labor.

But I don't give cash or gift cards as gifts either.  My philosophy is that cash and gift cards are a copout gift and if I don't care enough to spend the time to find a real gift then why bother.

2011-08-01 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3619953

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
tuwood - 2011-07-28 9:09 PM

Beers, wow! Maybe I'm a fuddy duddy but I am not sure I would be comfortable with construction guys building my house with a beer buzz!

2011-08-01 2:52 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Aarondb4 - 2011-08-01 10:21 AM

Is this not typical?

Did he specifically state that he was getting an $8 an hour or did you just assume that when he said minimum wage it was the federal minimum wage not the minimum wage for servers?  I would be very very surprised if a server was making federal minimum wage.  

2011-08-01 3:01 PM
in reply to: #3624193

User image

Runner
In regards to contractors, I have never given them a tip.

In regards to other professions, I give my mailman a tip, my garbage collectors a tip, and all the servers/bartenders I deal with. The tip to the mailman and garbage collectors is yearly, and is more of a holiday thing than anything else.

In regards to wages for servers, I have worked in places where the waitstaff made more than the standard server wage. However, in those extremely rare instances, it was either that the owner of the establishment was attempting to attract and hire the very best staff he could, and therefore felt that he would pay them above what they were currently making to ensure top talent, or the waitstaff was actually part of a union and had a contract in place guaranteeing them a (quite sizable) minimum wage.

With a restaurant like Applebee's, I know that neither is the case.
2011-08-01 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3624193

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
COSkiGirl - 2011-08-01 1:52 PM
Aarondb4 - 2011-08-01 10:21 AM

Is this not typical?

Did he specifically state that he was getting an $8 an hour or did you just assume that when he said minimum wage it was the federal minimum wage not the minimum wage for servers?  I would be very very surprised if a server was making federal minimum wage.  

Well my example was a bit of heresay. When I was in high school my mom talked to the Applebee's guy because she knew I was looking for a job. He supposedly told her he was base rate $8 an hour and tips on top of that.

Perhaps something was lost on the translation.

2011-08-01 3:51 PM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA
I usually wait until the last day, put my arm around them as they are walking out the door and ask them if they want a tip.  If they say yes, I then say "Don't eat yellow snow" as I slam the front door and fall down laughing...

seriously though - when I had contractors redoing our house from flood damage, I didn't tip.  The job was a very big job and it was steady work for them for 2+ weeks.  I didn't tip and to be honest, as I was writing those big checks - I didn't even think to tip.  I figured I paid them full price and paid them ON TIME - that good enough.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » "Tip" contractors? Rss Feed  

of 2