2011-08-01 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3624060

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: "Tip" contractors?
lisac957 - 2011-08-01 1:48 PM
tuwood - 2011-07-28 9:09 PM

When we built our house I went way overboard for the framers and finish carpenters.  they had huge coolers full of water, gatorade, and pop with beers on the bottom every day they were on site.  I got a food consensus every day in the morning and brought them pizza, burgers, arby's, or whatever they wanted daily.

Beers, wow! Maybe I'm a fuddy duddy but I am not sure I would be comfortable with construction guys building my house with a beer buzz!

lol, yeah I did have reservations at first, but there weren't enough in there to get loaded on.  Just enough for a happy hour drink for each of them.

2011-08-01 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3624337

User image

Lafayette, CO
Aarondb4 - 2011-08-01 2:51 PM
COSkiGirl - 2011-08-01 1:52 PM
Aarondb4 - 2011-08-01 10:21 AM
COSkiGirl - 2011-07-29 3:38 PM
Aarondb4 - 2011-07-29 3:27 PM
COSkiGirl - 2011-07-29 11:19 AM
TheCrownsOwn - 2011-07-29 7:38 AM

Not me.  Tips are for above average service, not what they are already getting paid to do.

A bit off topic but I go to a self-serve frozen yogurt place here where all the employee does is ring me up and make sure the toppings are available.  They have a tip jar.  Really?  Seriously?  What the heck am I tipping you for?

I'm glad to finally see 2 people who agree with me.

Tips are for going above and beyond the job you are getting paid to do. I don't think they should ever be expected.

I have grown tired of getting lectured at restaurants so I usually tip now, but if they just do their job they ain't getting much. Now when they do go above and beyond, I give pretty nice tips.

Well, now, restaurants with servers are very different in my mind.  Servers are paid a measely amount and I believe the do deserve the tips.  I will decide how much based on how the services was.  But at a fro yo place or other fast casual places those are clerks and not paid server wages. 

I always wonder about this because I talked to a server at Applebees and he said they all got minimum wage plus tips. He was pulling down anywhere from $14 an hour to $20 an hour between the $8 an hour minimum and tips.

Is this not typical?

Did he specifically state that he was getting an $8 an hour or did you just assume that when he said minimum wage it was the federal minimum wage not the minimum wage for servers?  I would be very very surprised if a server was making federal minimum wage.  

Well my example was a bit of heresay. When I was in high school my mom talked to the Applebee's guy because she knew I was looking for a job. He supposedly told her he was base rate $8 an hour and tips on top of that.

Perhaps something was lost on the translation.

Wow.  Don't even know how to respond to this.  You specifically said you talked to a server but rather it was your mom who was trying to get you to get a job.  Me thinks your mom was just wanting you to get a job.  

2011-08-01 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3619795

If you have guys working for you and they are doing a good job, why not give them a nice tip?  Tradesmens rate of pay is more dependent on the market than that of any other workers.  Everyone wants stuff done cheap, so the guys who do the work aint getting rich.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » "Tip" contractors? Rss Feed  

of 2