Ironman North America
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 16h 04m 26s
Overall Rank = 2240/2542
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 174/
Pre-race routine:

rack bike and bags the nite before. Spent lots of time at cabin trying to figure out what to pack in the bags and what to bring in the morning. Initially they told us there would be no access to transition the mornng of the race then "smartly" they changed course.

Sleep didnt come quickly. I wouldnt say I was nervous or restless or even jittery, just didnt fall asleep too much. Had a great nite sleep the nite before so maybe I had enough. b-fast of yogurt, juice adn muffin. (pasta a couple nites before and lots of hydration--enough I thought)
Woke everyone up, (joanne- isis,tos- mrrogersisinthehood and my bro dennis around 4:30 am. got out of the house at 5 ish and at t-zone by 5:45. do tires (dont need to bring pump...mechanics are there with hose, short lines) and pack up drink. (froze one bottle and one fridge cold. gel Bot worked great. diluted gatorade)

Did lots of pre-race pics, fun. Missed body marking so had to walk back to t-zone from beach to get marked. probably really didnt need to get marked.
Event warmup:

No real warm up. chipped in at gate. walked in water and looked around for peeps. saw the BIG #1 FAN foam hand thingie that isis was waving so did a little far off wave.
Enter water and waded around. Not nervous, just trying to figure it all out. group of swimmers at starting line, the rest were formed along the beach with a huge gap in between. tried to figure out where the best place to be was then.....BOOM...here we go!!
Swim
  • 1h 48m 54s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

swam, swam,swam. just got into a comfortable rythm. Gave people plenty of leeway since I am slow. stayed clear of buoys and the 'line' on the first loop. Knew I was 'pluggin' along. Hit the end of the first lap, tapped the mat and looked at watch.....HOLY CRAP!!! 54 minutes!!! WTF!got in the water by the float and just stood there.....(of course the wetsuit got a little warm in the legs region but thats just gross)...contemplating how the hell am I going to do another ONE HOUR 1.2mile SWIM!! crap!!

After a couple of minutes of a pity party I jumped back in. Decided that the more time I stood around was more swim time and more time before it was done. Strategy at this point was to try and swim the line the whole way since there were less swimmers. This worked. Passed a few people. Got out and was F--ing Glad it was over...actually had the "IM" moment with arms raised...knew if I could get swim done then I could get the whole thing done.

2nd lap was probably 48 ish so not too bad
What would you do differently?:

Swim drills and all that dont seem to do anything for me. I'm apparently just a plodding swimmer. I hit my "plan C" time so ..eh...ok. As long as the arms dont get tired I;m ok. I'm glad I didnt get in anyones way, no contact really. I think I swam a few hundred yards extra on the first lap by swimming wide.
Shouldnt be surprised. long swims were right in this pace.
Transition 1
  • 14m 12s
Comments:

I was shooting for 10 min for t-1. Jogged the route to the bag rack. The whole "bag" thing was new to me plus trying to predict what is needed for nutrition, etc. for 7 plus hrs. took some time to make sure I was organized.

Changing room volunteers were extremely helpful. very cool.

Got out and on the road just after 9 am which was my target time so at this point everything was on sched.
Bike
  • 7h 43m 38s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.49 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike computer time had 7:12 for course. showing 15.9 mph. Have to figure in stops for the total

1st loop not so bad. drank 2 bottles of diluted gatorade. ate 1/2 pbj, endurolytes, shotblocks, couple power bar munchkins, Stopped at rental for about 10 min for a bathroom break and watermelon. At the end of the first loop I would have been glad to be done! But....another loop we go.

bears not as bad as torrance hill or entering wilmington from 9n.

2nd loop was a bit tougher. sun was out in full force, thankfully not as hot as days previous. Hit the granny gear more often on the hills. Course is super scenic with rivers, hills and mountains. truly gorgeous. Stopped again at rental for check in with fan club. :) Spent good minutes with my crew.

Final bear wasnt too bad, the turn and rise onto northwoods SUCKED!!

Head for the hills more frequently to train.

z2 rides were about this pace. still on target for goal time.
Transition 2
  • 20m 39s
Comments:

Not quite sure how I did a 20 min t-2. seemed to breeze thru it. maybe packing up stuff into bags. body glide chafe spots, nit the road.

oh well, guess I can work on this one IF there is a next time.
Run
  • 5h 57m 4s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

ah the run....where to begin. I guess my goal was to work on a 12 m.m. pace, nice and easy. Maybe a 5:30 mary. Did this for the first 3 -4 miles, maybe a bit more. Did more running than walking on first loop.

Major concern bacame dehydration. I noticed that urine output was near zero although I had drank nearly 120 oz on bike nothing was passing. What was passing was dark, not terribly but darker. Additionally pulse rate was quite a bit higher than normal for a z2 12 m/m pace. At this early point in run decided that I had better plan to increase intake of liquid, broth and solids. Unfortunately this would mean taking the time to drink which means walking. Also worked on tucking sponges in headband to keep core cooler reducing sweating to reduce fluid loss. Not feeling a danger zone but felt a need to pay attention. Major goal was to finish and finish without issue.

2nd loop I met up with a guy from albany who was doing about my pace. We chatted and walked/ran. made the time pass and stay out of the negative mental zones. did it slow me down to pace with someone else. I guess I could have cut under 16hrs. oh well, once I knew that I wouldnt make my goal time the shot was just 'get er done'.

Walked up the hills on both loops. The last one was wicked. We were able to jog the last miles or so. Legs were not painful, just tired. Body was tired. As got near end of run output increased so felt I dodged that ball.

longer runs off bike workouts, somehow more liquids during bike. maybe wear platypus for run and/or bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Glad to pass thru the finish line. too tired to raise arms or raise a ruckus. popped thru, followed the path to shirt, hat, photo booth. Volunteers directed me to food area. COuldnt believe they had cheese pizza and subway subs of ham or balogna. WTF!! I was looking for something healthier. Grabbed a couple grapes and a drink. tried some cookies but they didnt kick it. FOund my peeps!! Thankfully they had warm clothes as I was getting a serious post workout chill.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

undertraining. I followed the BT intermediate plan minus the strength portion. Just didnt have the time for the strength portion. I dont think that changed the equation as much as not doing long bricks. plan had long workouts but not long bricks. also I did 2 a days and maybe I should have done those as bricks.
Also the shear inexperience slowed things down for transitions and stuff.
Crew support definetly helped. swim...well....not sure I am willing to work more time in pool to cut 10 min. on swim.

Event comments:

race org. was great. no hitches, plenty of volunteers. commercial and big however kept it personal and not over the top commercial. could have done without lots of the FORD stuff. Oh and also PERFORM liquid is AWFUL! they need to ditch this stuff. I needed stuff on the run but this crap I couldnt stand and I heard it from everyone. HEED is worse tho.

Interesting that 167 people DNF'd

I didnt sign up for next year. Gotta let it settle before decide on what is next. I hope this experience allows me to be stronger for shorter course.
Great to get a way for a week, great venue. Great to visit with Jen and have time with isis, tos and my brother dennis. Super support crew!!

Last updated: 2010-10-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:48:54 | 4224 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 201/
Overall: 2424/2542
Performance: Below average
Suit: full
Course: double loop, out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 14:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:43:38 | 112 miles | 14.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 169/
Overall: 2156/2542
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: RELENTLESS hills! double loop. keene descent road conditions were not conducive to big speed.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 20:39
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:57:04 | 26.2 miles | 13m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 148/
Overall: 2151/2542
Performance: Below average
Course: double loop. good downhill but wicked uphills on return. lonely river rd for 10k.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-28 9:38 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Subject: Ironman USA Lake Placid

2011-07-29 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3619984

New user

Milford, Ma
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid
Congrats, nice job.
2011-07-29 8:31 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
CONGRATULATIONS GLEN!! I'm so happy for you.  I hope you had a great day.  Seems like you did and played everything smart.  I felt the same way at my first.  No way I could commit to another one less than 24 hours after my first.  Too much to sink in.   WAY TO GO!!
2011-07-29 11:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

YOUR AN IRONMAN GLEN!!  Way to go! You got it done .....and even enjoyed the process of getting there and being there (well most of it anyway from the sounds of things!).  Wonderful that you had such a great support crew there to share the experience.  

Smiling for you Glen! 

2011-07-29 5:43 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH

Congrats Ironman!  Overall it sounds like your day went pretty well, but it looks like you've learned that experience can go a long way in long course.  It definitely sounds like you enjoyed it and soaked up everything involved with the experience.

You can always sign up for another one later.  In the meantime, just enjoy yourself!  Congrats once again! 

2011-07-30 7:44 AM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Dude!!! I haven't been to BT land in a while and what do I see when I look around, you are and IRONMAN!!!!  Way to go, you did absolutely awesome!!  Congrats man on a job well done!

2011-07-31 6:42 AM

Uxbridge

YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!!!!Congrats on a job well done. If you decide to do it again...come my way to the hills SO glad that you all had a great time.

Relax and soak up the IM glow

2011-08-02 6:38 AM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
Congratulations Glen! Way to keep a positive attitude when things weren't going as planned.
2011-08-02 9:57 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats Ironman!

Love your race report and helped me take a glimpse into your special day. Bummed that I wasn't out there on the course with you.

Smart way to adjust as things came up and what a terrific support crew you had.

Enjoy the post IM time...keep options open of what you want to do next.

You rock Glen!

2011-08-02 11:59 AM

Pro
Andover
CONGRATS Iron Glen!
2011-08-03 9:23 AM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay

IRON GLEN!!  Strong work my Iron Man friend!!  Nice RR and it sounds like you were smart in your on course adjustments and decision to savor the moments and pit stops with your crew.

Looking forward to seeing you on the Cape!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman USA Lake Placid Rss Feed