Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Training bike in Calgary/Mountains close by/Lethbridge Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-29 3:04 AM

New user

Vancouver
Subject: Training bike in Calgary/Mountains close by/Lethbridge

Hello everyone, my name is Roger and i live in Coquitlam, BC... just 30 min drive from Vancouver. I am training now for the Granfondo Whistler 2011 and i am going to Calgary to visit family and i will take my bike.  Im planning on leaving on August 18 by the way.
I have a new Specialized Roubaix Elite with 1,400 km on it now and i wonder if anyone can help me out where i can go do training as i need to have hills, steep hills to climb and practice.

I am taking advantage of the altitude of Alberta compared to the Vancouver area which is on sea level. If you can help me or maybe we can meet for some time and ride, that will be perfect.
I am considered a medium rider !, not that fast but not that slow either.

Drop me a line please, Thank you !.
ROGER

2011-07-29 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3620097

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: Training bike in Calgary/Mountains close by/Lethbridge
sounders - 2011-07-29 2:04 AM

Hello everyone, my name is Roger and i live in Coquitlam, BC... just 30 min drive from Vancouver. I am training now for the Granfondo Whistler 2011 and i am going to Calgary to visit family and i will take my bike.  Im planning on leaving on August 18 by the way.
I have a new Specialized Roubaix Elite with 1,400 km on it now and i wonder if anyone can help me out where i can go do training as i need to have hills, steep hills to climb and practice.

I am taking advantage of the altitude of Alberta compared to the Vancouver area which is on sea level. If you can help me or maybe we can meet for some time and ride, that will be perfect.
I am considered a medium rider !, not that fast but not that slow either.

Drop me a line please, Thank you !.
ROGER

Short answer - ANYWHERE!!!!

But really, bike out to Banff on the 1A, or down to Bragg Creek. Hit the road to Nepal out south of Calgary. Not sure of the actual road number of that, someone from the south part of calgary can probably help.

A great ride, is the Bow valley parkway. Drive out to Banff and go just past the townsite. You'll see the sign. park there, and bike to Lake Louise and back. ~110k.

2011-07-30 12:47 AM
in reply to: #3620382

New user

Vancouver

Hi Trevor,

Thank you so much for your message. I will check google earth and see the places you are suggesting me for my ride. I have a roubaix elite bike that has 1,350kms and it's a new bike. I'm happy with the performance done on the bike. I started riding in 2007, so far i think i have been doing very good.  The message you sent me you said to park and bike to Lake Louise and back 110k... I assume that may be an interesting bike ride for me. I want to take advantage of the altitude of the mountains around Calgary, Banff, etc...
I just booked my flight with Westjet on Aug 18. By the way, do you live in the North East side of Calgary ? - My family lives 10 minutes from the airport and i tried looking for a bike shop in the NE so they can assemble my bike while i am there. Most bike shops i found online are in the SE or SW.

What can you tell me about shops in the north east if you can ?

Thank you Trevor !,  ROGER.

2011-07-31 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3621562

User image

Veteran
Calgary

Link to a map of The Road to Nepal. http://sandbox.mapmyride.com/ride/canada/ab/calgary/797696730

And like Trevor said - you can ride anywhere. And likely anywhere you do choose, you'll see plenty of fellow cyclists along the way. A popular stop is Bragg Creek, there's a little coffee place out there that often has a group taking a break.

I don't know of any shops in the NE, but Ridley's might be the best for you: http://www.ridleys.com/about
They're just north of downtown, but in a trendy little shopping district if you want to kill some time while your bike is being assembled.

Enjoy your time out here!

2011-07-31 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3622380

New user

Vancouver

thank you for your tips... I will check the site in a bit, later this evening.

It's 5.20pm and i will get something to eat, at least no hamburgers or hot dogs, that's the old style i used to eat in summer. Now im doing exercise and eating healthier.

While my bike is assembled, is a good idea to look for things around. Anyway, thank you so much !!!

2011-08-02 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3620097

User image

Bow Cycle (www.bowcycle.com) might also be an okay bet in the north.

If you want to do some good climbing around here you could also do Route 66.  You can start at 69th street and Highway 8, and ride west until Highway 22, then turn south til Route 66, then basically ride west into Kananaskis and the mountains until the roads ends slightly before Forget  Me Not Pond.  Thats a bigger ride, probably about 140 or 150km with about 1600m of vertical elevation gain, but you'll pass Bragg Creek along the way, and you can stop for refills there. Or you can start that ride from Bragg Creek for a shorter 60km ride.

http://www.mapmyride.com/s/routes/view/bike-ride-map/canada/alberta/calgary/2940619

There's also Highwood Pass if you've got more time, which is the highest paved road in Canada. Depending on where you start it could be a 40km or 50km ride that'll take a couple hours, or a way longer ride if you have lots of time.  

http://www.canadianrockies.net/canadian-rockies-cycling/canadian-rockies-cycling-highwood-pass.html

http://granfondohighwoodpass.com/

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Training bike in Calgary/Mountains close by/Lethbridge Rss Feed