Without Limits Productions
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 18s
Overall Rank = 10/268
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

We camped at the lake and got up early to head over. I ate a banana and a cliff bar, mix1 shake and some coffee. Drove about a mile to the marina. Good thing we got there early, they were parking people way away from the start.
Event warmup:

Ran a few minute with Michele to loosen up the legs. Got in the water and swam about 50 yards. Not much of a warm up today.
Swim
  • 13m 2s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I just suck at swimming! I felt great and had very little bumping and I went hard. I am just slow. That is my own fault as I don't swim much but even when I do I don't get a whole lot faster. I felt good about my first tri swim of the season. Yes this was my first Tri of the year. Started out front and the the fast guys took off and I was all by myself with the slower guys behind me. I saw only 2 other swimmers the whole swim. Tim Sandell, my age group rival, had me by 3 minutes out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Get a jet pack.
Transition 1
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Came in running hard and found my spot right by the bike exit. Suit came off quickly and I put on the helmet and shoes, I usually leave the shoes on the bike but the exit was close. Got on and sped away to catch TIm!

nada
Bike
  • 35m 45s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 20.81 mile/hr
Comments:

The website said that the course would be rolling hills. RIght, I picture rolling hills in the midwest like at Nationals a few years back in Kansas City. The first hill out of transition was 12+ percent grade. Then we had more climbing along the way. This was the hardest sprint course I have ever done. I usually average 23.5-24 mph on a sprint course. This was much slower. Anyway, my legs just felt like they had nothing in them on all the climbs. I was in my lowest gear many times. Good ride and 8th overall is not to shabby for an old guy. Saw TIm coming down the hill that I was going up and he had at least a 2 minute lead on me. Had to move it.

RIde more hills in training.
Transition 2
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

Felt really smooth on this. Fastest transition overall! Can't be sad about that.

Um, ?
Run
  • 23m 46s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 06m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt like I had some legs for the run so I needed to close in on TIm, once again I saw him heading out on the run and still about 2 minutes ahead. Charged as fast as I could and then hit the hill, I felt like I was walking. After that hill I really picked up the pace and went at hard as I could. Saw Tim just past the halfway point on the run and knew I would not catch him unless he fell apart. Came around the last turn and headed for home. I did not catch him but got within 1:30 after giving him a 3 minute lead out of the swim. Oh well.

Nada
Post race
Warm down:

Watched my wife finish and talked to my Buddy TIm. Yes my rival, but also a great friend.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Altitude 8000 feet and not training on hills.

Event comments:

This was 1 of my favorite races! This is the first year that Without limits" has put this race on and it was fun. Great views and scenery! Best race venue I have been to. Got 2nd in the age group and they gave us a plaque and a belt buckle that is to be sent to my house. Food was marginal. Yogurt with granola and chips. Mix 1 was good. Can't complain about it really just not my favorite. Well Done Lance RD. A must do race. Camp at the campground and you are there in a flash. Steamboat the town is 26 miles away.

Last updated: 2011-07-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:02 | 880 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 32/268
Performance: Good
Suit: QR super full
Course: Square
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:49
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:45 | 12.4 miles | 20.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 8/268
Wind: None
Course: Out and back with climbing hills. Hey we were in Steamboat! That is in the mountains.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:46 | 03.5 miles | 06m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 13/268
Course: Big loop, the start was on the road and we had to run up the same 12+ percent grade that we did on the bike. Then at mile 1.5 we veered off the road and joined the willow creek trail that was dirt path all the way back to the marina. The summer wild flowers were absolutely every where! It was beautiful. Fun to get to run through them all the way back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes