General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Free Weights vs Body Weight Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-30 4:31 AM

User image

Urbana Illinois
Subject: Free Weights vs Body Weight

I started training for a triathlon about a week ago, and have already noticed weight loss and seem thinner. I was wondering which type of workout is better while training for a tri - Free weight or Body Weight, or a combination of the two? Last summer I did stronglifts 5x5, and this summer I have pretty much done nothing in terms of strength training. Any advice would be awesome, and any tips on creating a successful, muscle building workout for a beginner triathlete would be like even more awesome. Thanks!

Zach.

2011-07-30 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3621583

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Free Weights vs Body Weight
Body weight workouts are not going to gain you a lot of muscle.  I think it's really good for toning muscle and one of the best ways to do functional exercises that work the muscles that the swimming/biking/running don't.  The goal being to keep all muscles engaged and growing and if your lucky help prevent injuries.  If you want to gain, or even really keep, your muscles you will need to go heavy.  If you have the time I honestly would go for both, probably start on a body weight workout, work that core, keep the shoulders and hips strong and then as you see your fitness increase start adding in some heavier weights if you have the time.  If you added it in now while just starting to train odds are your muscles won't like you so much as you go out to bike and run.  Wait for that set of muscles to develop a bit first.
2011-07-30 10:32 AM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Physiologically, there is no difference. With barbells, you are applying resistance against your muscles. With bodyweight, you are - wait for it - applying resistance against your muscles. The difference is the implement - barbells vs. your own body.
2011-07-30 11:48 AM

User image

Veteran
the Sipp
That's an interesting question with some interesting answers so far...I'm kinda asking myself this same question right now. It seems to me that if your goal is to prevent injury by increasing muscle strength, tendon strength, etc. then either method can give you the result you need, depending upon the specific exercise you are doing. However, if you're looking to get ripped and want that body-builder physique...you probably want to lift some free weights, as i seriously doubt body-weight training will give you that result. I have personally had some surprising muscle gains though by using pushups, pull-ups, etc. But, the more fit you become...the more weight it's gonna take to build that strong muscle...so some heavy weight thrown in is definitely gonna help. Heavy weight, low-reps (6-10) = big muscle gain. Again, bottom line...I think it really depends on your goals.
2011-08-02 1:28 PM

User image

Seattle
I have been doing the stronglifts 5x5. I dropped down to 2 times per week now that I am dedicated to tri for the summer. I feel that the heavy weights keep a muscular physique vs. that really skinny sort of wasting away look that I feel endurance sports tend to do give people. 
2011-08-29 4:55 PM

User image

West Chester and Lansdale

So many answers, all are safe advice.  Weight training will indeed strengthen muscles, tendons, ligaments and bone.  Body weight can do the same if implemented properly.  For varieties sake a combination of both might be best.  The more variety you throw at the body the better it adapts to unforseen circumstances.  In short do both, make it fun, make it intense either in weight or duration (if appropriate, speed), or combinations of all.  Try plyometrics, don't over develop your pectorals, stretch through all ranges of motion (must be painfree).  If strength training on a swim day, swim first.  Most of all, have fun.

2011-09-09 11:43 AM

I'm interested in this subject as well. I don't have any, nor the room for any weights in my house, and with three kids I don't really have the time to hit a gym all that regularly either. But I do want to strength train. Not necessarily because I think it will make me faster in a triathlon, but because I'm pushing 40, rather doughy, and I have a sore back every morning that I am blaming on the spare tire I'm trying to suck in all the time. I'm not huge - 5'11, 178 lbs - but I'd be lying if I said any of that was muscle. I don't want to bulk up (don't think I could really, I don't have that body type), but I do want to be stronger, leaner and more muscular-looking, if that makes sense.

I'm a long ways off from that, and I've just started, so I wanted to do something that was quick, easy, and habit-forming. In other words something that doesn't take a lot time and thought. Once it becomes a habit I can worry about more elaborate workouts. To that end I have started doing those "six week challenges" that you can find on the net. 20 pull-ups, 200 squats, 100 push-ups, 200 sit-ups. They're simple and quick to do (and I've already doubled my pull-up capability from 3 to 6) but given my goals am I wasting my time? Keep in mind I really just want to make this habit-forming to start off with, but obviously it's easier to indulge in the habit if I'm seeing results in the mirror. Do you think this would be a good start to my life in strength training or should I save up for those barbells and dumbbells?

Edited by Kmarion 2011-09-09 11:56 AM
2011-09-09 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3679402

User image

Payson, AZ
Kmarion - 2011-09-09 9:43 AM

I'm interested in this subject as well. I don't have any, nor the room for any weights in my house, and with three kids I don't really have the time to hit a gym all that regularly either. But I do want to strength train. Not necessarily because I think it will make me faster in a triathlon, but because I'm pushing 40, rather doughy, and I have a sore back every morning that I am blaming on the spare tire I'm trying to suck in all the time. I'm not huge - 5'11, 178 lbs - but I'd be lying if I said any of that was muscle. I don't want to bulk up (don't think I could really, I don't have that body type), but I do want to be stronger, leaner and more muscular-looking, if that makes sense.

I'm a long ways off from that, and I've just started, so I wanted to do something that was quick, easy, and habit-forming. In other words something that doesn't take a lot time and thought. Once it becomes a habit I can worry about more elaborate workouts. To that end I have started doing those "six week challenges" that you can find on the net. 20 pull-ups, 200 squats, 100 push-ups, 200 sit-ups. They're simple and quick to do (and I've already doubled my pull-up capability from 3 to 6) but given my goals am I wasting my time? Keep in mind I really just want to make this habit-forming to start off with, but obviously it's easier to indulge in the habit if I'm seeing results in the mirror. Do you think this would be a good start to my life in strength training or should I save up for those barbells and dumbbells?

I don't know that you are wasting your time per say, but I don't know that it is the best plan of action.  It is not really a well structured program and could potentially lead to a fair amount of imbalances.  For example, the situps.  That's getting your ab muscles but then your not working your lower back (well, the pushup kinda does a bit). 

You can get a dumbell set that takes very little room using one of those ones that has plates that sits in the platform and you turn a knob to lock/unlock a plate to make the weight you want.  They are kinda pricey but when you start adding up all the individual weights it comes out to not looking so bad.  You can get them at Play it Again Sports or other such type places to really lower the costs.  I have one and love it (mine is from Bowflex).  I also have the basic dumbell's and tend to go to the bowflex one first. 

Another good option that uses your body weight and takes no room (except you need an area clear to workout) is something like a TRX system.  There are a few varations out on the market but I personally have a TRX and love the workout I get from it.  You can work from the basic exercises on up to some very challenging ones out on YouTube.  I haven't gotten bored with it yet. 

So any of that will show results in the mirror really, but if you really want to see results in the mirror you really need to key in on the diet.  Otherwise you'll get a nicely padded set of muscles.  Which will still help you in life, making you feel better, helping you longer term as you get older by keeping you strong, and you will see a body change, but to really see it the diet has to work along side it.

2011-09-27 10:10 PM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI

Ditto to above.  If you want to see your results quicker, diet is crucial.  I've exercised all of my adult life but only recently have I changed my diet (no more pop, chips, candy) to one where I make sure that most of what I eat is not crap.  I've seen a few pounds drop off but what I've noticed most is my body is more toned than it ever has been.  One thing that works for me is the calorie counter on LIVESTRONG.COM.  It's free and you can basically create a profile of you and your current eating and exercise habits.  I like pictures and bright colors so it helped me put things in a better perspective.

I agree on the Boflex Selec-tec dumbells.  They're worth the investment, a little bulky for some exercises but worth it. 

Check out BodyrockTV on the internet.  The workouts are short, high intensity intervals.  They're tough but good if your time crunched. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Free Weights vs Body Weight Rss Feed