General Discussion Race Reports! » Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kure Beach, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 38s
Overall Rank = 73/168
Age Group = 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 5/10
Pre-race routine:

Saturday evening, Pete and I ate at Flaming Amy's Bowl again this year in remembrance of last year when we met Ginger, Carol, and John. That night I dropped and broke my Garmin on the tile floor of the hotel room. It cracked behind the screen..

Morning of the race, we drove to race site to set up the two different transition sites. Got ate up by some sort of noseeum bugs that were biting like crazy at the bike transition area. I rubbed the jellyfish repellent on my legs and that seemed to help keep them away.

As we were walking from the beach transition site back to the race start, a lady called out my name. She said, "you don't know me, but I recognize you from your race report." Turned out she read my Kure Beach report from last year to get a feel for the race, and recognized me by my photos. I later met another guy who also used my race report as a guide. Made me feel good that my reports have actually helped people!

Event warmup:

Got in the water a bit to get acclimated.
Swim
  • 18m 41s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

This race was swim, run, bike, run, swim, (4 transitions!) so I'll have to double up the comments.

Swim 1, 410 yards (8:39)- First segment. Got out through the breakers, rounded the buoy, then swam parallel to the shore before coming back in. Swim 1 includes T1.

Swim 2, 410 yards (10:02) - Final segment of the race after running, biking, then running again. Also includes a really long run from the transition site to the swim start WAY down the beach. T4 is located at the swim finish, so we had to run all the way back to the swim start to get back in.

I encountered a jellyfish! I thought I bumped into a person with really smooth skin, but when I looked I saw a big ole bobble-headed jellyfish! Eeeek! Swim 2 includes T4.
What would you do differently?:

More ocean practice.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This race had four transitions which were not chip timed. So chip times are included in the segments.

T1: Ocean to run - Pulled off goggles and cap while running to my spot on beach. Put on sunglasses, grabbed shoes and ran up to the boardwalk where I stepped in the baby pool to rinse feet then shoved wet feet into shoes and ran. I had worn my run number on the swim so I just had to pull it out of shorts.

T2: Run to bike - I pulled my feet out of my wet shoes and the inserts came out! I had to fix them because I needed my shoes again for the second run. I wish I had brought a second pair of shoes for the second run. Put cycle shoes on and ran with bike to the mount line.
Bike
  • 35m 12s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 20.96 mile/hr
Comments:

This is two loops of 6+ miles out and back. Flat, fast, and uneventful.

Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T3: Bike to run - I could not get out of my cycle shoes. I'm still wearing regular cycle shoes with buckles and could not get the buckle to release. Grrr! Time to buy Tri shoes.

T4: Run to swim - I pulled off my shoes as soon as I crossed the chip mat on the beach so that I could run barefoot through the sand to my spot. Dropped my shoes, grabbed my cap and goggles and headed for the swim start farther up the beach.

Buy proper Tri shoes!
Run
  • 27m 47s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Run 1 (13:38) - Run 1 time includes T2 time.

Run 2 (14:09) - Hot! I was thankful there were people out in their yards spraying us with hoses. I certainly made use of running through them! Run 2 time includes T3 time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it off and hydrated. Met up with the other club members to see how they did. We had Josh, Erin, Jason, Steve, and Lawrence from my club. I also found a couple of the Raleigh folks, Carol and John.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, particularly for a short distance race. But it was 3:16 faster than last year so... it is what it is.

Event comments:

I do not particularly like Sprint distance races, but I LOVE this one. This is the one sprint that I will do again and again. I love the ocean swim and the format of swim, run, bike, run, swim. Well organized fun event.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-02-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:41 | 820 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/168
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Ocean swim parallel to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:12 | 12.43 miles | 20.96 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:47 | 03 miles | 09m 09s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-30 2:35 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon

2011-07-31 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3621867

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
Subject: RE: Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon
It was good to see you at the race. You really do a great race report!

John
2011-08-03 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3621867

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on your time!!!  Tri shoes really do help.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed