General Discussion Race Reports! » Cincinnati Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cincinnati Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cincinnati, Ohio
United States
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 37m 2s
Overall Rank = 123/127
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/6
Pre-race routine:

Multi-grain waffle, english muffin with PB, coffee. No issues, no concerns.
Event warmup:

A little stretching. I made sure I got to the swim start on time but then there was no flat, grassy area like what I needed to do hip stretching. Tried to do it on concrete, but it was painful (my routine includes some yoga, dragon and pigeon, pretty ouchy in a parking lot.)
Swim
  • 30m 28s
  • 1476 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started out slow on purpose, because I was afraid I'd get tired and be more prone to panic. However, I ended up waaaay behind my group and DFL out of the water. (Results say one person was a few minutes behind me, but she started the bike ahead of me so something is screwy!) I know I'm slow. I didn't think I was THAT slow. I was a little discouraged and a lot bored! On the bright side, I seem to be pretty good at sighting without having had a lot of practice at it. I stayed pretty parallel to the shore. Ohio River smells like butt.
What would you do differently?:

Take swimming lessons. Definitely.
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

Fine. Uneventful. Easy to spot your bike when you're the last one in. :)

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 44m 36s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 14.25 mile/hr
Comments:

First hill was a doozy. I've gone up some pretty steep hills but I ended up stopping halfway through and walking. I felt so whipped and I was very very close to quitting, but I made myself keep going. I was DFL and got followed by the sweeps truck on my second lap. The driver was coaching me, which was very nice and I appreciate what he was trying to do....but honestly, it was a bit annoying. I was just trying to survive. Columbia Parkway is pretty hilly. I caught up to one person for the last couple of miles. I passed her; then she caught me and we chatted through the end. At first, I thought we'd get in trouble for drafting, but who's gonna penalize the two last place people???

Lord, I don't know. It kinda sucked (especially the hill to get onto Columbia, I ended up walking it both laps) but aside from more prior practice, I think I did all I could that day to keep my head up and do my best.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Everything went smoothly. The calf sleeves I wear due to injury are what extended the time. Dumped the remaining water from my bottle over my head, gave my fellow BOPer some encouragement, kissed my lucky stuffed turtle.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 17m 42s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 12m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

The heat index was over 100 (109, when I checked immediately after the race.) I saw everyone taking walk breaks. I was afraid of being dehydrated but I made my stomach feel sloshy by stopping at every water stop. Went by small goals - a few minutes at a time, a portion of a mile at a time. The park was shady but I found that I HAD to stop and walk the non-shady parts. They were just awful. About 4 3/4 miles in, they had an open cooler full of ice, which I promptly scooped into my bra and down my pants. Felt SOOO good. Running Purple People hill was out of the question, and the course monitor commented that everyone had been walking it.

Really?? I don't even know how to strategize in those conditions. I ran as much of it as I could. I was getting shakes and chills by the time I finished. The time in no way reflects my running ability. I'm just glad I survived!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

HEAT!!!!!

Event comments:

The crowd support was AMAZING and all the volunteers were so nice. They joked with me the whole time, which got me through. My goal was to finish and stay out of the hospital, and I did both.

The results seem to be a little off (though my bike and run times line up with my garmin.) I know for a fact that I was last out of the swim, but the results say the girl who I caught up to on the bike (meaning she HAD to start before me, right?) was three minutes behind me on the swim and 5 behind me in transition. She was in my wave. Also, there's one other person who finished behind me but got left out of the results entirely - not sure how that happened. She was in my wave too. So technically, my results should be out of 128!

Last updated: 2011-07-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:28 | 1476 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 125/127
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Downstream in the Ohio River
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:13
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:44:36 | 24.85 miles | 14.25 mile/hr
Overall: 121/127
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: down and back on Columbia Parkway, loop around downtown, x2
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:17:42 | 06.2 miles | 12m 32s  min/mile
Overall: 112/127
Performance: Bad
Course: out and back through Friendship Park, out and back over the purple people bridge, x2
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-31 7:09 PM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
Subject: Cincinnati Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cincinnati Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed