General Discussion Race Reports! » Siesta Beach Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Siesta Beach Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sarasota, Florida
United States
Multirace.com
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 18m 6s
Overall Rank = 151/185
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 17/19
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 am. Had a shower to wake me up at loosen up. Had a bottle with 2 scoops of Accelerade for the hour before the race. Made another bottle for the bike.
Event warmup:

No warmup. Got in the water and did a few strokes, not much.
Swim
  • 35m 27s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

First leg of the swim went okay. I'm still working on navigating. I tend to drift to the right. Bouy sighting was easier on the first leg versus the second. We headed back into the sun and it made sighting difficult. Bit of a current on the second leg. Back seemed a little tight during certain portions. Tried to relax.
What would you do differently?:

Swim a little faster. Need quicker turnover for OWS. The current was pushing me faster than my stroke could compensate. More swim practice.
Transition 1
  • 04m 23s
Comments:

Long run up from the beach to transition. Kept it a nice, easy jog. Transition could have been faster. In hindsight I should have rubbed more sand off my feet as it would haunt me later in the run.

Just be quicker about getting into socks and shoes. Getting bike out faster. Got onto bike and up to speed no problem.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 58s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike felt really good. Amazing that even though I felt like I went very fast, I was in the lower percentile of gender and age group. The police did a decent job of directing traffic. I did, however, have to stop at a traffic light due to the cars infront of me turning right. I had nowhere to go. I was able to maintain a faster pace than my last race. Unfortunately, this would haunt my run. Need to find the balance between pushing just enough not to impact the run. Hamstrings felt a little tight throughout the ride. I noticed after the bike that I only consumed half of my bottle. That really hurt my run as well.

More training. More segments at race pace.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Started to run the bike into transition and felt a little wobbly, so I walked/ran the bike in.

Nothing. Think I had a decent time.
Run
  • 1h 20m 33s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

As Bob and Doug said on The Great White North, 'He blowed up real good!'. This was a hard, hot, tough run. The first loop I was able to maintain my normal easy run pace. Made the mistake of skipping the first water stop. Hamstrings started cramping and I had to adjust my run gait. Took a cup of water to drink and one to pour over my head, and one cup of HEED to drink at each station. It wasn't enough. Got to through the first loop feeling really light headed. My vision was swimming. I stopped in the bathroom to pee and that's when it really hit me. I seriously thought about dnf. Had to sit down for a few minutes. I tried to drink as much water as I could. Lisa was there to help support and get water for me. I decided to tough it out and started walking the second loop. I would try to run for a bit and then walk. Taking in as much water and heed as I could from the stations. I felt a little better but got a horrible side stitch every time I tried to run. And the sand in my shoe rubbed two of my toes raw. Fun! Finally made it to the finish after stopping 4 times in the last 100 meters to stretch my cramping hammy.

More fluids and easier pacing throughout the day. I hydrated well the day before but needed more during today. I thought I had lesson learned.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a bottle of water, a banana and watermelon. There was no other food or drink around which really sucked. Afterward, Lisa and I went to breakfast and I was able to eat most of my normal sized meal but just wasn't that hungry. Even after fluids and breakfast, I weighed myself and found I lost 5 pounds.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See above. hah!

Last updated: 2011-05-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:27 | 1640 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/19
Overall: 117/185
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Out about 100 yards then right turn and swim along the shore. Loop around the bouy and head back to start.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:58 | 24.85 miles | 19.63 mile/hr
Overall: 106/185
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops along Siesta Key.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:20:33 | 06.21 miles | 12m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 157/185
Performance: Bad
Course: Two loops along the beach. The section up towards the turnaround/finish were loose sand, otherwise it was hard packed sand.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-07-31 8:10 PM

New user

Subject: Siesta Beach Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Siesta Beach Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed