General Discussion Race Reports! » Dwight Crum Pier-To-Pier 2 Mile Swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dwight Crum Pier-To-Pier 2 Mile Swim - Swim

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Manhattan Beach, California
United States
International Surf Festival
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 777/952
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 84/96
Pre-race routine:

Had a PBJ and the wife and I rode our bikes down to check in. Then we rode our bikes to the finish and walked back to the start area. I had a gel and some water about 10 mins before the start.
Event warmup:

None really other than the ride and walk to the start.
Swim
  • 1h 18m 35s
  • 3520 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I really hadn't gone overboard with my training this year since Oceanside 70.3, so I was just expecting to finish and hope to do better than last time. I had a so-so start trying to stay away from the way too gung-ho starters. I did a much better job on my sighting than I ever have in this race. For once, I didn't have to swim an extra 2-400 at the end to get back to shore around the north pier.

About halfway through, a paddler excorting another swimmer almost ran me over as he passed me. I know I was on a good sight line (for once) and not swimming across him. He changed course so as not to hit me and as his swimmer went by, I decided to try drafting in the swim for the first time. (I know, nothing new on race day!) Well, I sat on his hip and pushed a little harder and I really noticed a difference. The paddler and swimmer really blocked the swell and flattened out the water for me. I was easily able to keep up for a while and it really was easier.

I continued on for the rest of swim without much drama and rounded the north pier to find a little surf to contend with. It wasn't too strong except as the wave drew out I had a hard time continuing towards shore. A couple of waves later and I was jogging up the beach to the timing mat. 3 minutes faster than last year! I was happy with that.
What would you do differently?:

Train more to go faster, but I was satisfied with the race today!
Post race
Warm down:

Showered and rode with the wife to brunch on the Redondo Beach Pier and ate way too much. But boy was I hungry!

Last updated: 2011-07-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:18:35 | 3520 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 84/96
Overall: 777/952
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: out and around the Hermosa Beach pier, then north around the Manhattan Beach pier and into the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-07-31 10:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Dwight Crum Pier-To-Pier 2 Mile Swim

2011-07-31 10:46 PM
in reply to: #3622996

User image

Subject: RE: Dwight Crum Pier-To-Pier 2 Mile Swim
Congrats Jamie, the start was a bit bumpy out there. Nice swim, and nice improvement over last year
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dwight Crum Pier-To-Pier 2 Mile Swim Rss Feed