United States
HFP Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 1s
Overall Rank = 14/231
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/18
Pre-race routine:

Get up ridiculously early at 4:25 so I can make the shuttle from downtown that left at 5:30. Grabbed a cup of coffee on the way down and hydrated alot prior to the race. Had a cliff bar and then swam a bit before my 8:15ish start time.
Event warmup:

Swam about 10 minutes just to loosen up.
Swim
  • 14m 25s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great start and settled in quick. Minimal contact for me along the route made it a very uneventful swim. Swim may be my favorite part of the tri. I just take it easy, keep my head down (of course breathing every now and then), and focus on nice easy strokes. Came out of water in no time.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

No wetsuit made this an easy transition. Only problem was I ran around for 15 seconds looking for my bike. I usually have a towel on the ground that I can find with no problem, I didn't have this since there were multiple transition areas and I didn't want a lot to clean up. Once I found it, it was quick. Glasses on, helmet on, and take off.

Before the race, I swear I went from the beach to the TA 3 times so I could easily locate my bike. I guess I need to put a towel down no matter what.
Bike
  • 51m 32s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 21.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Loved it with the exception of the traffic. On the corner of Old State and E. Powell, there was a ton of traffic that I didn't know how to handle. I was passing cars on the left that wanted turn right, police were coaching us in and the guy behind me was as confused as I was, but we made it through there with a minimal loss of speed.

After that, it was great. I really liked seeing all the people on the side of the road cheering. You also needed to keep your head up because there were some pot hole repairs and manhole covers that you needed to avoid. Also saw some pieces of glass here and there that I luckily avoided. Was sweating like a pig, so I took many salt tabs, Gu, and a ton of water along the route.

Kept a great pace and passed a bunch of people, was only passed by 2 people.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Love the fact that I didn't have to find my spot in the TA and someone just took my bike. That was great. I refused to sit down on the chairs to change into my shoes so I didn't get comfortable. Helmet off, soocks on, shoes on, hat on, drop of my bike bag on the way out and go...
Run
  • 23m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I love the short runs on Sprints. No reason to take water and I can go hard. I took off too fast and had to settle down for a bit for my HR to come down, but time flew, I kept a decent pace. Probably could have gone a little harder, but went well. One comment is when I made the seemingly final turn, I saw the muscle milk inflatable arch and thought that was the finish line, I should have read the map beforehand since I had another 150m after that. But I still tried to kick in to the finish.

Great vibe downtown with the finish. It was a top notch event.

More speedwork and training.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a lot of water and bananas. Walked it off a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and lack of speed training

Event comments:

Great race for the innagural event. I've only done 3 tris prior to this and this is by far my favorite race that I've done. Well put together. The communication about the process for the race that was sent out beforehand was well documented. It needed to be considering the 2 transition areas and I think the planning that went into thsi made it a great event.

There were tons of volunteers and they all did a great job. I am really impressed with HFP's ability to get so many people to help out. This race was the highlight so far of my short tri career. Well worth getting my butt out of bed at 4:25.

Last updated: 2011-03-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:25 | 820 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/18
Overall: 48/231
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri top and tri shorts
Course: Rectangular swim course along the beach.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:51:32 | 18.64 miles | 21.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/18
Overall: 12/231
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Direct ride from Alum Creek to downtown Columbus down Route 23 and High Street. Very cool.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:43 | 03.11 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/18
Overall: 24/231
Performance: Average
Course: Loop on mostly bike paths around and just outside downtown Columbus.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes