Redemption Races
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 32s
Overall Rank = 44/294
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/28
Pre-race routine:

Well, this was my first race. So I dont have a routine. I made a list the night before then I got up an hr before I had to leave to pack bags and car. I figured that it would be good to be up and moving around a bit. Was also hoping to clear the system out if you no what I mean. No luck there. Slept really poorly. Woke up every 30 min and checked the clock. I guess it was first race jitters. Ate a balance bar in the car on the way to the event. I eat them in the morning on the way to train and never have a problem.
Event warmup:

jumped in the pool and swam a little. It really surprised me that people dont seem to warm up more. Especially for such a short race. Lots of people to talk to.
Swim
  • 10m 26s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swimming is my weakest sport. So there is no where to go but up. I had the most effortless 50M that I can recall though. Really felt great. Unfortunatly, there was another 350M to go after that.

Then I got all tangled up with the people in front of me. At one point I stood up and looked around to get my bearings and try to time a pass.
What would you do differently?:

I seeded my self too low. Or others seeded too high. Either way I found myself trying to pass. I was about 1min slower than normal for this distance. So I guess I would seed higher.
I think that when I signed up, I was so afraid that I would seed too high and hold up the people behind me. So in the end I seeded too low and inconvenienced the people in front of me. I think that this will work itself out as I gain experience and get a better handle on how fast I swim. Right now, it changes every week...
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

set up in t1 with shoes on bike. Got out of t1 ok but it took me a little longer while riding to get my right foot in the shoe.

Get there earlier and get a better rack spot. The leaders were in and out in 35 seconds. All I can figure is that they got slots closer to the exit.
I fumbled getting my garmin on but that couldnt have take more than 5 seconds.
Bike
  • 51m 36s
  • 17 miles
  • 19.77 mile/hr
Comments:

I had an absolute blast on the bike. Reminded me of racing bmx when I was 14. Bike racing has to be one of the greatest things in life.

not sure. I went a little faster than my last TT. So much fun.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Felt fine with this transition. A little surprised that it took as long as it did. To be honest, it is a bit of a blur.

I chose to put socks on. I tried running without them and didnt have blister problems. But I wear orthotics and they get slippery. I just dont like the sensation of running barefoot on them.
In practice outting on socks took 8 to 10 seconds. Seemed like a good use of time.
Run
  • 27m 11s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

So I came to this after a few years of running. Last spring I had an 8:05 pace 13.1 and a few weeks back I had a 22:30 5k. Not super fast but I felt good about them.
All of that said, running off of the bike was a rude awakening. I had planned to be just under 8min/mi.
My first thought was that I rode too hard but after looking at the results Im not so sure that this was the case. For the run, my rank was the same as my overall ag rank. So I guess I ran about where I should have run.

I didnt see the finish line. It was on me before I knew it. I had a 200M kick that could have shaved some seconds but you came around a corner and there it was. Next time I will get to know the course better. If I really care about the result, I need to walk the course before the race.
Post race
Warm down:

lemonade and tacos. really good tacos.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my ability to perform limited my ability to perform.
Seriously, I need to keep working in the pool.

Event comments:

The bike course was a maze. But there were volunteers everywhere and it would have been tought to get lost.
I am hooked by the way. What started as a way to stay in touch with endurance till the weather cooled and I could run long again has taken on a life of its own.

Last updated: 2011-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:26 | 400 meters | 02m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 20/28
Overall: 156/294
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: snake style 50M pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 88F / 31C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:04
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:51:36 | 17 miles | 19.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/28
Overall: 56/294
Performance: Good
14 mph on mile 1. took a while to get going.
Wind: Some
Course: The course was pretty technical from what I gather. Tons of turns, speedbumps and other sections to slow you down.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good