HFP Racing
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 20m 28s
Overall Rank = 218/231
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Event warmup:

Jumped in the water, ballistic stretching. Focused on calves to keep them from cramping up.
Swim
  • 18m 47s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

I did much better in the swim than I thought I would considering just two days prior I was struggling with cramping in both calves and my toes when I went for a short swim. I had no issues this time and I swam without needing to stop. Nothing sucks worse, however, than being passed by someone just walking in the water. Pretty annoying, but I didn't want to be that girl. :/
What would you do differently?:

Swim more.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Not bad. Threw on my clothes, shoes, etc. and darted out.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 34s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 14.80 mile/hr
Comments:

The first few miles were pretty painful getting comfortable. I felt like I was standing still for most of it. Climbing the few hills there were I did well and passed a few people, but they'd get me right back in the straights because I was a slug (kind of backwards, huh?). The road through most of Worthington was rough and horrible and about when I was ready to chuck my bike. The combination of my butt, seat and road were not meshing. I believe that is where I also popped my tire too but didn't know it until I slid pretty bad in the last turn onto Nationwide Blvd. and wondered why. Overall the bike was not good and I felt pretty bad the entire time which I believe is simple a result of under-training.

Ride more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

This transition was weird. Giving bike to someone, running under a tent, looking for hook...all crazy, but I got my stuff in my transition bag and set out for the "run."

Nothing...it was an non-traditional transition that will happen only with events like this.
Run
  • 44m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 14m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I bonked. I couldn't run hardly at all, clearly from a lack of BRICK training and the heat was just ridiculous. I walked about 3/4 of the route, but did pick it up toward the end since it was mostly downhill at the end. My jogging was so slow I might as well have been walking, but I got through it and I'm happy.

BRICK more.
Post race
Warm down:

Food and sitting down in the shade is what I needed. Pretty disappointed Muscle Milk ran out of supplies considering they were a top sponsor, but Giant Eagle came through with their sponsorship and gave up plenty of stuff to choose from. I did get some chocolate milk and that contributed to recovery as it always does. :) I didn't stretch like I should have and now I'm feeling it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Under training and not training in the heat much.

Event comments:

I was concerned initially based on the registration setup. We got there on time and they weren't ready yet nor were the bibs there, but they came through with everything else. I didn't know how the bike was going to be successful, but the police and volunteers were amazing and pulled it off as good as I could have hoped for. If I had to recommend anything to HFP it would be to choose a different t-shirt color (navy in the summer?)and increase the quality of the medals (no year?). Overall, great job!!!

Last updated: 2011-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:47 | 820 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 187/231
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri suit
Course: Around the buoy's.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:15:34 | 18.64 miles | 14.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 202/231
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Left Alum Creek and took Old State route down to Polaris Pkwy. Jumped on 23 south all the way to downtown. The few hills that there were were mostly at the beginning.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:07 | 03.11 miles | 14m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 215/231
Performance: Bad
Course: Beautiful, but hilly using the Lower Scioto Greenway path on the northwest side of the city.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-01 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
Subject: Giant Eagle Triathlon

2011-08-01 4:38 PM
in reply to: #3624189

User image

SWOH
Subject: RE: Giant Eagle Triathlon
The person who walked in the water is silly -- that's one of the most tiring things you can do any time, let alone at the beginning of a triathlon. Congrats on surpassing your expectations for the swim and for finishing despite the difficulties. I wish I could have stayed (I did the Saturday mini-sprint) and seen this race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Giant Eagle Triathlon Rss Feed