AA Sports
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 34m 41s
Overall Rank = 96/259
Age Group = A>40
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

I waffled on to do or not do this race all week. Finally decided on friday night it was a definite do!

Woke up at 5:30, grabbed my bottle & pack & put the bike in the car and was off by 6:00. Went to Kettlemens to pick up a bagel w/ cc and large coffee which I had on the way to Blue Lake. Also had to stop at an ATM and pick up some cash to register. Arrived at the lake around 6:40. Went straight through to registration and then set up my transition space.
Event warmup:

Since I had not ridden my bike since Door Half two weeks prior and I had just reassembled from transporting I took it out for a 6 mile spin on the road. Mostly easy effort warm up, but added a few sprints to get the HR up. Bike was working flawlessly so felt better about that... Brought it back to transition with half hour to spare, chatted with rack mates, and got the wetsuit on. Took a Gu w/ a cup of water and chatted with some PTC folks down by the water, and then got in up to my waist just to feel the water. Probably should have taken some time to go for a quick swim too but oh well!

Plan for the race was to attempt to blow up. Didn't know how this might work out as no swim/bike for 2 weeks prior but WTH!
Swim
  • 16m 9s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started up front on the buoy line. Took off, very little contact during the entire race. Sighted every buoy but the finish arch perfectly. Should have pushed it a bit more - but the water was kinda warm, and was feeling a bit dry mouthed. Drafted about 1/4 of the race. Lots of people were swimming WAY wide of the buoys... not sure why.
What would you do differently?:

Hadn't done any swimming since Door Half 2 weeks prior, so I wasn't expecting a super fast pace here, and I was about 1:30 off my PR for this swim, so maybe this was really a below average overall effort. Whatever! :)
Transition 1
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

Transition is longest freaking thing ever... probably a good 1/4 mile or more from lake to exit.

Was out of wetsuit quickly, and into shoes and off as fast as possible. The exit chute just seemed to be going and going and going. Ridiculous.

Still managed to pass 5 people.

Get my feet moving underneath me faster both in terms of exiting the water and exiting transition.
Bike
  • 37m 31s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.19 mile/hr
Comments:

Secret goal here was to avg 20mph. Didn't quite reach that. Though the wind was not strong there was just enough cross wind to disallow the nice tailwind effect you usually get on this course. My hamstrings started cramping a bit and I probably could've pushed a little bit harder, but didn't want to TOTALLY blow up just yet. I think my legs are still holding a little fatigue from the half, and all the running - not really noticed that until I was redlining.

Passed a ton of people on the bike. Just got in the lane and hammered.

Pushed almost as hard as I could. I only sipped maybe 3-4 ounces of gatorade at the turn around point - probably should have opted for the aero bottle and had more of the bottle. Didn't feel parched though wonder if more gatorade would have helped with the hamstring tightness.
Transition 2
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

Back to the long transition run. I ended up walking once I hit the racks, I was over running it in.

Bike up, shoes on (wore the zoots no socks - glided the crap outta them so feet just slid right in), grabbed belt and was off.

Run the whole way in... Otherwise it was just fine.

Run
  • 34m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Was in 31st place overall coming out of T1...And then I dropped 65 places.

BUT had almost 6 minute PR run! YAH!

I just ran. Ran as fast as I could. Took a water and roctane at the turn-around, and poured it on... The last bit always hurts. Probably could have pushed a tiny bit harder, but I am pleased. The marathon training is finally paying off.

I was very jealous of the 19 year old who gazelled past me during the run - she had the fastest time overall 19:19! Crazy!

I still have A LONG WAY to go on the run. But the PR sure felt good after this season of dismal results.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed two cups of electrolyte and a light muscle milk, walked to the rack and grabbed my cow bell. Went back to the finish chute and walked down the path a bit cheering people on. Love the energy of this race! Grabbed a teeny bit of food a little later and waited around for results. While I was waiting my guts decided they didn't want to be a part of my body. And continued to feel like that for the majority of the day. Uggh terrible feeling. Dunno if it was the muscle milk or previous days food. Walked around trying to ease it up, watched the kids come in - nothing cuter than a 5 year old finishing a triathlon. Totally awesome. Then finally results - 3rd in Division. Fellow PTCer took 2nd. Whoohoo. Got my medal and skeedaddled for a nap at home!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Though I felt mostly recovered from Door, I think there was some lingering fatique in my legs, coupled with resuming heavy marathon training. I could have pushed a bit harder on bike & run to really get the BLOW UP I was looking for. ~4 minute improvement with slower swim than 2 years ago. Love the energy of this race. I think throwing a couple of sprints in here and there is a definite must. I definitely can feel the difference in recovery from when I first started triathlon. Sprints are a cake walk now - just need to continue getting faster!

Event comments:

Great race energy. Lots of fun & very supportive competitors. Will do it again for sure as it's a good litmus test for current fitness.

Overall PR and 5k PR. WOOT, double WOOT!

Last updated: 2011-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:09 | 880 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 38/259
Performance: Average
Suit: Desoto T1 Bib/Pullover
Course: Counter clockwise diamond-esque
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:31 | 12 miles | 19.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 33/259
Performance: Good
data from powertap, including hr: Cals: 411 AvgWatts: 165 AvgCadence: 74 xPower: 182
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on Marine drive. Flat with a brief dip below overpass.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 74
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:11 | 03.11 miles | 10m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 205/259
Performance: Good
Min HR: 156 Avg HR: 168 Max HR: 179 1 11m 59s 1.00 miles 11m 59s /mile 164 171 2 11m 04s 1.00 miles 11m 04s /mile 167 172 3 12m 02s 0.97 miles 12m 27s /mile 171 179
Course: Out and back along bike path. The last 1/2 mile is up and down banks of lake - it's a PITA!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-01 8:07 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Subject: All Women's Triathlon - Sprint

2011-08-07 5:20 PM
in reply to: #3624634

User image

Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: All Women's Triathlon - Sprint

Wow, great job! Love that you decided the night before to go ahead and do it...I hope to eventually have that relaxed an approach to my triathlons! And just two weeks after a half...Amazing!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » All Women's Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed