United States
FS Series
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 50m 17s
Overall Rank = 72/109
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/25
Pre-race routine:

My wife and I both did this race. We decided we would drive, so it was up and out the door about 3:30am. I had a coffee and an egg and cheese sandwich to go. Parking was about a half mile from transition, so it was a nice relaxing walk to shake the legs out after the 1hr 45min car ride.
Event warmup:

About a 150 yard swim. This was mostly to test out the goggles and get a feel for the water.
Swim
  • 32m 8s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

I wasn't too aggressive for this swim. I put myself in the middle of the pack for the start. People kinda spread out, so I found a comfortable place and stayed in it. I passed a few and had a few pass me. For my second open water swim, first one as part of a triathlon, I felt pretty good about it.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe pushed the pace a little harder.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Bike
  • 1h 12m 28s
  • 23.5 miles
  • 19.46 mile/hr
Comments:

How do I clip in again?? For some reason my right foot doesn't want to clip in. OK...once it's in the left goes much smoother. I've been on long rides (50-60 miles) the last three weekends, so my mind and body keep telling me to take it easy there is a long way to go. So, I find a comfortable pace and settle in. I would be happy with this, but people keep passing me. So, I pick up my pace and I think this is the first time that I really get into race mode instead of training mode. So now I'm in race mode, I should be good right? Naa...they still pass on by, one by one or so it seems. Well, I'm starting to see were my lack of training is coming into play. Yes, I have been on long weekend rides, but I failed to MAKE time during the week to ride. I must ride my race and watch them go. On a positive note, I get to check out a lot of cool bikes! The course was really nice and staffed really well. There was someone at every turn, helping you find your way.

More miles on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Run
  • 1h 03m 2s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

My run started off good, for the first mile or so. Somewhere leading into mile two, things changed. I have never experienced heat exhaustion, but today I was about to learn an important lesson. I felt strange enough that I knew I needed to slow down and began a run/walk routine. About mile four, I got a bad case of the chills and goose bumps that wouldn't go away. Those last two plus miles seemed to drag on forever. I would run a couple hundred yards and walk about fifty, then repeat. This walking helped me bring my
temps down so I could finish the race and make it a positive day. I'm not thrilled that I had to walk, but I learned a lot from this race.

Start out the run slower and pace myself better for the conditions. More training miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Drinking fluids and trying to cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training.

Last updated: 2011-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:08 | 1640 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/25
Overall: 58/109
Performance:
Suit: no
Course: Rectangle/1 lap
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low